IGNORED

Anyone Remember Someone Wetting Himself On The Way To Cardiff?

reddarren

Hi all, this is one of those emails that will probably prompt reactions ranging between amusement and criticism and I've thought long and hard about posting, but here goes. Back in 2008 I was emarking on a People and Psychology degree and writing a thesis on the elements of embarrassment and how the subject was dealt with personally as well as from the viewpoint of others, eg. if someone embarrasses themselves, what level of similar feelings are felt by others who witness the embarrassment, and is it embarrassment for the person concerned or for themselves. I'm sure you'll appreciate that the subject matter was tricky to find people willing to open up about genuinely deep experiences of embarrassment.

At the same time, there was a long-running thread on here about a bloke wetting himself on a coach going to Cardiff (I was actually there that day, but not on the particular coach in question). I was fortunate enough to be able to ask somequestions of the incident of a very kind lady who witnessed the event and she gave me some good opinions about what had happened, which helped me enormously and gave me the start that I needed.

As the whole thesis developed (not all revolving around this particular incident, I might add!) I started to wish that I had been able to ask the contributor and others more about their own reaction when the incident occured - and not just what happened. I was able to do this for a number of other events of all varieties that my subject covered.

Anyway, now that is in the past I am doing an advanced course and some tutoring for others.

My reason for resurrecting the subject is to ask whether anyone else or others still recall the incident some three years on. Genuine embarrassment can often be identified because it tends to resurface in the memory on a regular basis and often prompts recollections and sharing with others, whereas those incidents that are sometimes described as embarrassing but quickly forgotten don't really fall into that category.

So, anyone who knows of or witnessed or heard of what happened that day and is willing to share initial thoughts - preferably on this thread or possibly privately if necessary - would be more than welcome, at any time.

Of course, anything else that might fall into a similar category (and I don't necessarily mean someone wetting themselves, although that does come near the top of the list of most people's innermost worries of embarrassment) would of course be more than welcome too.

(I suspect that the person concerned at Cardiff wouldn't come forward, though!)

Hopefully the mods will leave the thread here - there are very very few faceless places where such questions can be posed and subjects discussed.

All the best and thanks.

Sattler, J. M. (1963). The relative meaning of embarrassment. Psychological Reports, 12, 263-269.

Savitsky, K, Epley, N, & Gilovich, T. (2001). Do others judge us as harshly as we think? Overestimating the impact of our failures, shortcomings, and mishaps.

Archived