IGNORED

Happy

fatman

5 years ogo, i remember standing in the Robins saying i'd be happy if we were mid table in the Championship. I know you have to have ambition and i know things move on but, i have to say that i will still be happy to be mid table championship. Over 50 years of watching City mid table Championship is us. Lets keep things in perspective on the eve of a new season. Be happy. We could be facing Crawley!

Who says we cant win the league, we have as much chance as anyone at this stage whatever people say about our defence, everyone starts on the same points!

I do agree we need a couple of defenders but we should be aiming as high as possible at this stage, if you become satisfied with a low position in the league, then bad things can happen !

5 years ogo, i remember standing in the Robins saying i'd be happy if we were mid table in the Championship. I know you have to have ambition and i know things move on but, i have to say that i will still be happy to be mid table championship. Over 50 years of watching City mid table Championship is us. Lets keep things in perspective on the eve of a new season. Be happy. We could be facing Crawley!

This sums up nicely why City have, and never will, achieve anything in football. Perenial underachievers, with supporters to boot.

Who says we cant win the league, we have as much chance as anyone at this stage whatever people say about our defence, everyone starts on the same points!

I do agree we need a couple of defenders but we should be aiming as high as possible at this stage, if you become satisfied with a low position in the league, then bad things can happen !

Yes another interesting season ahead! Not having a new CB and a competitive LB (with Gary Macalister) is a little bit of a blow a week prior to the big KO, however there is nothing to say we wont get our hands on the required people even if the season is a couple of weeks old!

I will be very interested to see who makes the side against WBA as that will be as close to the starting11 (barring current injuries) as we are going to see prior to Ipswich.

Anyway as I have often stated I am a Bristol City Fundamentalist and as such see no reason why we will not be competitive when the business end of the season comes around.....

:cool:

This sums up nicely why City have, and never will, achieve anything in football. Perenial underachievers, with supporters to boot.

My friend the hustler, after more than 50 years and 4 divisions, once bottom of the basement at christmas, once almost non existant, i think i have a right to be happy in the championship. Don't mock... be happy.

My friend the hustler, after more than 50 years and 4 divisions, once bottom of the basement at christmas, once almost non existant, i think i have a right to be happy in the championship. Don't mock... be happy.

No mocking intended I assure you. If your happy with being a mid-table Championship club, then good for you. However, and in life, there are some people who always to take the "easy" life and be happy with what they have got, and then, there are people who will always strive for something a little bit more. Being "average" is certainly not how I live my life nor do I want my football club to be.

With our defence

PUT IT INTO PERSPECTIVE,

We are going down.

I'd settle for mid-table.

But I've never taken the "easy" life, which is why I've lived away from Bristol for most of my life.

Putting us into the context of this division, it would be a remarkable feat to be able to compete at the top end. Just look at the money available to a lot of clubs in the championship and the salaries they pay to attract players. We don't get parachute payments, we don't get 20k crowds, and we are considered a small team in this division so find attracting quality players who have other choices very difficult.

Couple that with the fact that there is more and more money coming into the championship with parachute payments and it is getting harder. It's very easy to say it's taking it "easy" by settling for mid-table, but in actual fact that is aiming high in my opinion, and we'll do well to get to that point. Of course, the club should always strive for the top and say that is what they are going for, but the supporters should be able to understand the rhetoric and apply a bit of context to it. It would be naive not to do so.

I agree with this.

As long as we are at AG with the attendances we are getting, I think mid-table in this division is an achievement in itself.

Id be satisfied with Top 15 and some decent football, happy with mid-table and delighted if we got into the top 10 and were in with a shout of the playoffs with 10 games to go.

I'd settle for mid-table.

But I've never taken the "easy" life, which is why I've lived away from Bristol for most of my life.

Putting us into the context of this division, it would be a remarkable feat to be able to compete at the top end. Just look at the money available to a lot of clubs in the championship and the salaries they pay to attract players. We don't get parachute payments, we don't get 20k crowds, and we are considered a small team in this division so find attracting quality players who have other choices very difficult.

Couple that with the fact that there is more and more money coming into the championship with parachute payments and it is getting harder. It's very easy to say it's taking it "easy" by settling for mid-table, but in actual fact that is aiming high in my opinion, and we'll do well to get to that point. Of course, the club should always strive for the top and say that is what they are going for, but the supporters should be able to understand the rhetoric and apply a bit of context to it. It would be naive not to do so.

At face value you are right but the success in recent times of the likes of Burnley, Blackpool and now Swansea suggest there is a different way.

The thing is you need a manager is prepared to do some thing different and not stay in the comfort zone of stero typical English football which is based around Strengh, pace and power and not so concerned on the finner arts of the beautiful game. The aforementioned teams with Owen Coyle, Martinez and latterly Brendan Rogers and yes even Mr Holloway who was inspired by Martinez at the Swans did something different.

Thats is the challange for Millen and Wigley, but regretfully if the U21 this summer is anything to go by the quality of coaching may not be up to the task. Certianly the techincal ability in the defensive areas of the team in being able to keep the ball is not up to it in my view but I go to the Gate today ever hopeful

We might as well play well for half our matches and then not bother for the rest then.

In our current state we are MUCH more likely to finish near the bottom than top. Infact even with a couple of defensive additions we'll do very well to launch a sustained playoff assault.

My expectations are dependant on the situation. If you look at what we have, either in our own right or comparatively speaking, you'd have to be a doped up optimists optimist to suggest we could finish top two.

It's realism, nothing more, nothing less.

I completely agree.

But the problem is that we wasted that opportunity to build on the first season by not changing anything. Millen and Wigley now have an opportunity to change things, but they need to get rid of the deadwood and bring in quality - that aint easy as they're finding out. I just hope they don't persist in playing those players that are in a comfort zone and who will ignore their training and just do want they are comfortable doing on the pitch - lumping it from the back, lazy passing in midfield, panick under pressure, etc etc. But they won't leave 'em out as there isn't much choice - unless we can get some decent loan players in to show how the game should be played.

I really don't mean to slag off the players, but it has to be said - most of 'em aint good enough to push this club forward.

Agree, but it can be done, if I use Swansea as the perfect example. Kenny Jacket like Millen a graduate of the Graham Taylor Watford accademy of "Up and at em" football. Had Swansea like he does at Millwall oganised and Workman like. You could argue for a club of Swansea size he did little wrong. Something happended there and a old boy who happend to be a Spanaird with a totaly different and in my view refreshing take on the game took charge and the side he left in terms of style and ability was totaly different to the one he inherited. I would bet a lot of money Swansea would not be where they are now had it not been for that dramatic change in approach. It can be done but yes the deadwood and there is far more than most on here like to admit is a definate weight around the club's neck.

I'll also add Gus Poyet at Brighton could well be the next one, and it will be intersting to see how both he and Brighton progress.

Your last sentence sums it up really and it's holding the club back..

We do have some very good players here in Maynard, Stead, Pitman, Albert, Kilkenny and Reid is coming along nicely so that also needs to be said, but we have too much deadwood to be able to move forward quickly - unless Millen/Wigley can pull a rabbit out of the hat by way of the loan system.

At the end of the day, we are where we are, and I accept that and don't expect too much this season - but this time next year, around a dozen players could be on their way out and that is when I expect to see vast improvement.

Yep those players are the club's future, hopefully Maynard...Cisse too if handled properly.

If we keep Maynard and he along with Pitman, Albert and that poncey model we have in goal perform as well this season as we know they are all capable of we will finish in a play off position without doubt.

Im going to back City and Baadiff with a 20 point handicap to both finish top, and i dont waste money hard earned money.:nono:

I think City do have ambition as you can see from the stadium plans but at the same time we can't keep losing 11 million a year. The key thing this season (assuming the nimbys don't appeal) is getting the new stadium built. Once that is open we can use the additional revenue to start spending more on the team again and challenging at the top. So yes I think mid table would be acceptable this year (although if we can get higher that would be great). The key thing as mentioned will be to try and bring some of the youngsters through and to play entertaining football if possible.

Archived