IGNORED

Carey

Pete1975Legend

I've not seen enough to make a judgement on Edwards. Looks like he has a good attitude and there is something there. I'd like the answer to be playing a fit Christian Ribeiro. There were a couple of times when Ribeiro played and the opponents were really put on the back foot as he is a proper over-lapping full-back and like Albert is one of the few in the squad who can go past his man with skill rather than chipping the ball forward. They made a great attacking combination. I'm not sure how he would be rated in terms of solid defending but I've been impressed when he has played. If he could make the shirt his own with a run of at least 15 games without breaking down then City would have a very valuable player but it's such a big if because he has been so injury prone. Wasn't even a sub today.

I've not seen enough to make a judgement on Edwards. Looks like he has a good attitude and there is something there. I'd like the answer to be playing a fit Christian Ribeiro. There were a couple of times when Ribeiro played and the opponents were really put on the back foot as he is a proper over-lapping full-back and like Albert is one of the few in the squad who can go past his man with skill rather than chipping the ball forward. They made a great attacking combination. I'm not sure how he would be rated in terms of solid defending but I've been impressed when he has played. If he could make the shirt his own with a run of at least 15 games without breaking down then City would have a very valuable player but it's such a big if because he has been so injury prone. Wasn't even a sub today.

Never seen Edwards play, but Ribbs and Albert sounds interesting. Maybe Ribbs is far to the starting 11, I dont know. The few times I seen Ribeiro played he is a good player.

I'd personally rather see Edwards played at right back. A young player that could do with the experience rather than a centre half in the twilight of his career.

Not that I don't think Edwards is a good player, but he got done royally within moments of coming on and had Tchoyi had a better final ball we would have conceded from it.

For him to stop being a fixture in the 1st team, thanks for all you done but your no longer cutting it.

Hoof ball after hoof ball today and we didnt have a target man on the pitch.

Carey must not be part of the first X1 he is deffo the weak link in that defence.

Weak link and yet one of our best defenders all pre-season

Have you asked the question WHY he hoofed it long? Was it because no one in midfield was coming to collect the ball so he has no options

Still I suppose as skuse was outstanding you can't slate him

Still, no doubt, your first and only pre-season game, so can't expect too much from you glory hunters

Weak link and yet one of our best defenders all pre-season

Have you asked the question WHY he hoofed it long? Was it because no one in midfield was coming to collect the ball so he has no options

Still I suppose as skuse was outstanding you can't slate him

Still, no doubt, your first and only pre-season game, so can't expect too much from you glory hunters

As you'll probably see in another thread I thought he was MOM today. Long term he ain't the answer.

Glory hunter? Dont think so otherwise I'd follow man united.

No didn't make the 1st 20 and played against Frome. Had a good game by all accounts

Its well known on the Forum that I rate Ribs...Whenever Ive seen him complete 90 minutes hes been very good, certainly better than Wilson, Carey and Hunt in the RB position.

In the Charlton game on tour he apparently impressed the Charlton Manager Chris Powell

He had a very good game against Frome... in fact he was one of the better players on the Pitch.

Its well known on the Forum that I rate Ribs... certainly better than Wilson, Carey and Hunt in the RB position.

Ribeiro is a different class to all his competitors for the right back position.

If KM is not playing him because he feels he can't trust his ability to stay on the pitch that would perhaps be understandable and the answer for the club, and Ribeiro himself, must surely be to offload him asap to have a chance elsewhere.

If, however, KM is unsure of his ability, then that would concern me because when I've seen him Ribeiro has, on occasions, not only looked our most gifted and assured defender but one of the best players on the pitch.

What a talent going forward too.

Ribeiro, on previous form, linked with Albert, is a truly mouth watering prospect and if he's fit he really should be walking into this Bristol City team.

There are certainly concerns about Edwards positioning and with his size and strength it could become a very big problem should he play in the Championship. I personally don't think he will make it, just a gut feeling though.

Ribs has the talent, no doubt. He needs a prolonged period of good fortune in terms of injuries or his career could be over before it's even started.

I rate Carey, even as a right back. He has decent delivery and is calm under pressure. He knows the league and rarely gets caught sleeping. Pace is obviously an issue for him but It isn't neccessarily that important to be fast if you know how to stand up and mark sufficiently.

Ribeiro is a different class to all his competitors for the right back position.

If KM is not playing him because he feels he can't trust his ability to stay on the pitch that would perhaps be understandable and the answer for the club, and Ribeiro himself, must surely be to offload him asap to have a chance elsewhere.

If, however, KM is unsure of his ability, then that would concern me because when I've seen him Ribeiro has, on occasions, not only looked our most gifted and assured defender but one of the best players on the pitch.

Ribeiro, on previous form, linked with Albert, is a truly mouth watering prospect and if he's fit he really should be walking into this Bristol City team.

Good post. It was 2 seasons ago we started with Ribs and he got that injury...and he was more than ready then, chomping at the bit now i bet!

If he can stay injury free...possible star...and a great understudy to Carey

In a nutshell, I think.

I don't believe he played at Frome for any different reason than Hunt, Johnson, Cisse and Clarkson did, they are all available to go.

Ribeiro has looked very suspect defensively when he's managed to be fit enough to play, though he's certainly looked talented going forward.

I don't think on the limited amount I've seen that right back would be his best position, he doesn't mark, challenge in the air or hold a line well. I'd look for him to play central midfield. If he could stop falling apart that is.

I'd be surprised to see Cisse, Johnson or Ribeiro leave the club this season.

Their contracts are all up at the end of it and if they haven't left by then, I'd be amazed to see any of them get offered another one............

Their contracts are all up at the end of it and if they haven't left by then, I'd be amazed to see any of them get offered another one............

That may be so, Ribeiro will be given a chance by KM this season though undoubtedly I expect, Cisse and Johnson both had decent runs last season and Johnson is a decent enough back-up creative player while Bobby Reid still counts as development squad. But without being able to see into Millen's mind, we shall see.

In the Sunday Independent recently Keith made a pointed comment about everybody knowing what a good player Ribeiro is when his is fit and his mind is right. He seems sure of his ability but not his physical and mental strength it seems. Make or break season I assume.:fingerscrossed:

Carey isn't a right back and shouldn't be playing there, he started off as a right back was it 97 or 98 and he was always making mastakes costing us goals,

and one bloke in the Ateyo who sat behind me at the time use to call it a "Classic Carey Moment"

We moved him to centre back and he became our best defender and for me he should be playing there with Wilson but then we wouldn't have a right back,

I don't rate ribs that much and I think he is very over-rated on here, he's not a great defender and is only good running forward, from the little I've seen of Edwards with a little bit more experence I think he could make the rightback slot his own this year,

I'd like to see ribs leave just to get his medical bills off the club books the lad is never fit,

I'd also wouldn't mind Nyatanga starting at Left back he didn't do too badly there while macca was out injured last year but he suffers from the same problem fontaine does and thats concernstration they both can't do it for 90 minutes,

In a nutshell, I think.

I don't believe Ribs played at Frome for any different reason than Hunt, Johnson, Cisse and Clarkson did, they are all available to go.

From his posts GrahamC seems to have close links to City mgt. As such can only assume he is right. All can go on free transfers soon. Wonder if there would be any interest from any decent clubs.

From his posts GrahamC seems to have close links to City mgt. As such can only assume he is right. All can go on free transfers soon. Wonder if there would be any interest from any decent clubs.

I would take a punt on Ribs if I were a Manager. Hes still only 21 and plays better football with better players around him. That was apparent with the success he had at u21 level for Wales where unlike City they did try and play some football out of the defence. I will never forget the games he had against England and Italy...made Macheda look like a schoolboy and was well on a par with Walcott.

If I were Ribs and could negotiate a free transfer at favorable terms with a another Championship side or even one of the better first division sides I would go for it. Perhaps even a pay per play basis.

Whether other posters like ribs or not anyone who knows anything about football can clearly see that he is technically at least, streets ahead of Wilson Edwards Carey and Hunt. But it seems we want to build the team around mediocre defenders who are only capable of booting the ball into the Avon.

It was also a bit harsh for Monkeh to suggest Ribs was a financial burden medically ...thats total bollocks...all that cost is factored into the annual running expenses. Infact I dont beleive Ribs got the correct Physiotherapy treatment he should have mainly at the expence of star player Maynard.

I do believe if he can continue to work hard and stay sound he still has a bright future ahead of him. maybe not with City but who knows

Yes. I am Welsh and I am from Neath..... No. I am not related to him...before you all ask

Every time I saw ribs play last season he looked a bag of sh1te. Slow, large turning circle and very prone to the nutmeg. So on those performances he has a huge way to go to prove he can hack it after injury. He looked better in the few appearences in previous seasons. But on last seasons appearences Carey is head and shoulders above him, even if he is old and slow. Ribs has a lot of reserve games to take in and prove he has the fitness and the level of defensive ability to get anywhere near the first team imho. No where near the level he was two years ago.

Archived