IGNORED

Sky Sport's Peter Beagrie Preview

MurrayLives

Beagrie previews the Championship and breaks down every club. This is what he said about us:

Bristol City

Bristol City just missed out on promotion to the top flight in 2008, losing to Hull in the play-off final, but their expectations are lower these days. They had a disappointing time of it last year and were severely hamstrung by an injury to their star striker Nicky Maynard. Their midfielders seem to be suffering from a severe lack of confidence and it could be difficult for Keith Millen to rally his troops - particularly if Maynard is transferred away. Having said that, without too much pressure on their shoulders, perhaps the Robins could surprise a few people.

The whole Championship preview is here http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,,15231_7079850,00.html

Beagrie previews the Championship and breaks down every club. This is what he said about us:

Bristol City

Bristol City just missed out on promotion to the top flight in 2008, losing to Hull in the play-off final, but their expectations are lower these days. They had a disappointing time of it last year and were severely hamstrung by an injury to their star striker Nicky Maynard. Their midfielders seem to be suffering from a severe lack of confidence and it could be difficult for Keith Millen to rally his troops - particularly if Maynard is transferred away. Having said that, without too much pressure on their shoulders, perhaps the Robins could surprise a few people.

The whole Championship preview is here http://www.skysports...7079850,00.html

in all honesty, I think the gorilla in your photo has more intelligence than Peter Beagrie.

Never paid attention to him.

Although what he said is nicer than some other reviews i have come across in the media.

thats quite positive for beegs tbh and its the line I'm towing,

there will be alot less pressure on the players this season with the fans expectations so low, alot are saying relegation and a fair few midtable but no one talking play-offs or promotion,

Maybe with less pressure the fear we seemed to play with at Ashton Gate last season will go meaning we can start seeing the best in players less pressure will mean less mastakes from the defense more probing balls from the middle with out us fickle fans getting on the backs to much,

The aim this season for has to be unbeaten hom record like with johnson (I think we only ever lost 5 or 6 home championship games with him),

If we can sort that out then we're be mid table,

So lets get behind the team saturday and hope for 3 points,

We're not in the media spot light were not fav's to go down we're not favs to go up lets sneak it under the radar like our first season

COYR!!!!

Beagrie isn't a bad pundit and I think he's pretty close there. A glance at what he says about Derby is spot on too. Maybe he's unpopular because he often says things about fans' teams which they don't want to hear.

Is there any pundit that everyone likes?

Beagrie isn't a bad pundit and I think he's pretty close there. A glance at what he says about Derby is spot on too. Maybe he's unpopular because he often says things about fans' teams which they don't want to hear.

Is there any pundit that everyone likes?

Jamie Redknapp

Don't see how anyone could take exception to what Beagrie has said. Seems to me to be a sensible and balanced view.

The most offensive aspect of it is it's lack of offense. These roll-on-roll off pundits draw on their years of insight and perceptive wisdom by spouting three lines of vanilla cliches * ( * recently transferred to Man City). They pick up healthy fees to top up their PFA pension by using lazy banal journalism from the comfort of their armchair, lets be honest, with a quick scan of the internet both you or I could come up with a short review of each of the Championship contenders with more perception and acumen than most of these counterfeit journalists manage. The only thing balanced about Beagrie is probably his bank account. If you want insightful assessments of the various contestants for the Rat race to the Premier League try the Racing Post or maybe one of the better Football blog sites............as long as it's not written by an Ex-Pro!

I sit in a similar camp to Beagrie. It's difficult to place us, it depends on which City turn up this season.

We're good enough to hit the top 6, we're also poor enough to hit the bottom 6.

The manager must have a big role to play in our fortunes if you believe that to be the case.

Back on topic, Beagrie makes a habit of saying really annoying things about City to the extent I don't think he likes the club much - but you can't really fault his assessment here.

John Salako is the top man for me - clearly likes BCFC, though for no apparent reason, and is always quick to praise us.

As for Redknapp Jnr., a chip off the old block. An often annoying witterer, but the ladies seem to like him.

The manager must have a big role to play in our fortunes if you believe that to be the case.

I agree, although injuries play an equal if not larger part. Our inconsistencies were a mixture of both last season imo.

I agree, although injuries play an equal if not larger part. Our inconsistencies were a mixture of both last season imo.

I don't know, all club's have injuries - Doncaster had 14 players out at one stage last season, and they didn't necessarily have the wherewithall to replace them with the likes of Caulker, Spence and Pitman.

We will have injuries but let's not look to use that as a ready made excuse.

If you think we could be anything from top 6 to bottom 6, then clearly you feel we have the potential to be a very good team but the onus is then on the manager to get the best out of the players leading to consistent performances.

If he can then I reckon we've got the players ( bar a Caulker replacement) to probably finish comfortably in mid table, which most of us would be content with.

Top 6, no chance in my opinion, however lucky we are with injuries, and if KM proves uninspirational we could even be in the lower reaches of your 'bottom 6'.

The team that 'turns up' is absolutely dependent on the manager - his team talks, his choice of players, his tactics, his sustitutions etc.

I don't know, all club's have injuries - Doncaster had 14 players out at one stage last season, and they didn't necessarily have the wherewithall to replace them with the likes of Caulker, Spence and Pitman.

They did, and iirc it coincided quite well with the time when they went into free fall.

We will have injuries but let's not look to use that as a ready made excuse.

Again I agree, with one more left-back our squad will be thick on the ground all the way through. That said, last season was an anomaly at the start at least, we've certainly never had such an injury crisis while I've been a City fan.

If you think we could be anything from top 6 to bottom 6, then clearly you feel we have the potential to be a very good team but the onus is then on the manager to get the best out of the players leading to consistent performances.

If he can then I reckon we've got the players ( bar a Caulker replacement) to probably finish comfortably in mid table, which most of us would be content with.

Top 6, no chance in my opinion, however lucky we are with injuries, and if KM proves uninspirational we could even be in the lower reaches of your 'bottom 6'.

Personal preference of course, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better front-line in the league. On its day, our defence was solid, that was probably the biggest contrast in the team last season. A consistent 'solidness' combined with a strong front line could give us an outside chance, in my opinion. Even with our inconsistency, after October last year, we were in top 10 form. On that alone, we shouldn't be that far off.

The team that 'turns up' is absolutely dependent on the manager - his team talks, his choice of players, his tactics, his sustitutions etc.

Again, can't argue.

Archived