IGNORED

No Transfer Funds Available

Redland

KM said on the Radio Bristol Twentyman show this evening that he now has no funds available without offloading players.

If this is the case why did he sign Taylor, Bolasie and Kilkenny if they are not good enough for the first team? The team that started today consisted of the same players that we had last year.

It has been evident since the beginning of last season that we need a new left back, centre back and creative midfielder and I posted a couple of months ago that every pound spent on fringe players is a pound less available to spend on strengthening the team where it is actually needed. Instead we have spent our transfer budget on yet more peripheral squad players whom KM himself does not consider good enough for selection.

For those that say Kilkenny is the creative midfielder then why was he not in the stating line up today? He declared himself fit.

I think we paid a fee for Taylor and Bolasie and there is also the matter of wages so goodness knows why we are signing players who do not strengthen the first team only to be then told that there are no funds available to address problems which have existed for the past 12 months.

Taylor and Bolasie were small fees on small wages. Kilkenny came without a fee in a position we were lacking strength. I doubt our transfer budget would be better affected to any great degree had the first two at least not joined.

His signings will have had a marginal impact on a virtually non-existent transfer budget in the absence of players leaving. It would certainly not have freed up enough to sign the quality of players we need. Presumably he knew the position at the start of the summer so it should be no surprise to him. I suspect he thought it would be easy to pick up a few free agents and was shocked when he found he could only get one in. I do find it interseting though that to the best of my knowledge Coiln has said nothing on the issue.

More worrying is the fact that he is making excuses 24 hours after saying there are no excuses. I have said elsewhere that there is a sad echo of John Ward's self confessed helplessness creeping into Keith's demeanour. Saying in effect, "there is nothing I can do" after one game does not inspire confidence.

Based on today I'd put Maynard on the list - he clearly doesn't want to be here - and take the best offer on the table after 10 days, leaving us

time to get 2 or 3 in before the window closes. Assuming SL allows KM to spend even half of the Maynard fee.

Pitman has the desire, and the finishing power to score enough goals.

Other areas are clearly a higher priority.

CR

A proper manager wheels and deals and moves on overpaid wasters and if they won't move they are made so unwelcome and uncomfortable that they will move eventually. Ethical of course not, practical definately.

Like Nicky Hunt, who made 14 Bolton starts in 3 years before they could offload him permanently?

His comments of no transfer funds to me seem the first bit of spin in convincing us that offloading maynard is a good idea.

We all know that nobody will take the dead wood from our hands so the only asset we have is nicky. I think the next bid will be accepted unfortunately.

He was just re-iterating what was said last season. Steve L said that the club would no longer over stretch themselves and transfers had to be done with a business head on. That is the crux of the sitauation that we are in, we have too many players who are not good enough for this division and will not move on to lower ones for lower wages whilst their contract is still running with us. That means that we cannot fill the places that some of those players fill.

You have to feel kind of sorry for KM because Johnson and Coppell really put the dampers on Keith's spending power.

As frustrated and annoyed/dissapointed as I am tonight I am fully aware of the situation Millen must be in. He cannot strengthen because of some of the chumps we still have.

You have to respect the club's decision not to go mental with transfers. I guess from thier point of view if we finish mid-table then that will be a succcess, I am sure there will be quite a few contracts running out at the end of the season which MAY free up the transfer policy.

It is only match one, let's hope we can restore some pride on Tuesday!!

KM said on the Radio Bristol Twentyman show this evening that he now has no funds available without offloading players.

If this is the case why did he sign Taylor, Bolasie and Kilkenny if they are not good enough for the first team? The team that started today consisted of the same players that we had last year.

It has been evident since the beginning of last season that we need a new left back, centre back and creative midfielder and I posted a couple of months ago that every pound spent on fringe players is a pound less available to spend on strengthening the team where it is actually needed. Instead we have spent our transfer budget on yet more peripheral squad players whom KM himself does not consider good enough for selection.

For those that say Kilkenny is the creative midfielder then why was he not in the stating line up today? He declared himself fit.

I think we paid a fee for Taylor and Bolasie and there is also the matter of wages so goodness knows why we are signing players who do not strengthen the first team only to be then told that there are no funds available to address problems which have existed for the past 12 months.

I think this has been obvious all summer - we haven't got the money.

Its quite a good time to be a buyer if you have the money because there is less competition out there but over the last 3 years we have been spending way above and beyond what we can afford in the most expensive market ever known just to try and ensure we stay in this league and keep up, now its time to cut our cloth and the balancing act of doing it to slow or to fast must be managed by CS and on this he will be judged by me.

The point you make is where I also find difficulty believing what has gone on - we knew we needed 2 new defenders (maybe 3) and we started with the same back 4 today as we would have used last season minus our best defender. As I have been stating all of the off season and pre season it is disappointing that this hasn't been addressed at all.

I know we have to look out for bargains when they come along but when there is a specific area we need to strengthen then funds must be channelled effectively - I would even say that I would be happy for Nicky to leave for 3m if it meant we could get 2 top half Championship quality defenders (just to be clear I believe Spence to be top half quality, Fonts and Mac to be mid to lower half quality and Nyatanga to be lower half quality, so im not saying what we have got is super shit).

What I do know, is Millen has failed to move on any of the 4 high earning players that are constantly talked about and that tells it's own story.

Like Nicky Hunt, who made 14 Bolton starts in 3 years before they could offload him permanently?

We're going round in circles here.

That no one wants them that can also afford to match there wages.

This.

This is poor by Millen. He has known since the minute he signed he would have a limited budget, so why hasn't he managed to get our squad trimmed down, if he did he have more wages to attract players at his disposal.

You can't blame the board when they are paying the wages for 30+ players, they have to have a limit.

This is poor by Millen. He has known since the minute he signed he would have a limited budget, so why hasn't he managed to get our squad trimmed down, if he did he have more wages to attract players at his disposal.

You can't blame the board when they are paying the wages for 30+ players, they have to have a limit.

If no-one wants the players what are you supposed to do? How could Millen have gotten rid?

If no-one wants the players what are you supposed to do? How could Millen have gotten rid?

Nicky Hunt is 27 years old and could have anything up to 10 years left in the game, if he stays here taking the money and is not prepared to drop his wage demands, would you as a manager sign him when his deal with us runs out?. What sort of professional does that make him?, certainly not one any good manager would want to sign that's for sure. His career could be all but over if he dosen't move from us soon, he is making himself unemployable and all for short term gain, of course that is his perogative.

Nicky Hunt is 27 years old and could have anything up to 10 years left in the game, if he stays here taking the money and is not prepared to drop his wage demands, would you as a manager sign him when his deal with us runs out?. What sort of professional does that make him?, certainly not one any good manager would want to sign that's for sure. His career could be all but over if he dosen't move from us soon, he is making himself unemployable and all for short term gain, of course that is his perogative.

Yes, he seems like a hanger on with a dirty car. People on here are prepared to give him another chance. He will never get that. Move on son.

But again, if no-one wants him....? Not Millen's fault?

Yes, he seems like a hanger on with a dirty car. People on here are prepared to give him another chance. He will never get that. Move on son.

But again, if no-one wants him....? Not Millen's fault?

i'm not comparing like for like, but I think a manager for instance like Fergie would create an atmosphere where he and the other 3 unwanted high wage earners would have no option but to reduce their demands and move on for the sake of their careers and I don't think Millen has got that in him.

So Millen Has come out and said we have to sell Nicky if we want to improve our squad as we have zero transfer budget. I dont have a problem selling Nicky but surely letting every club know we are skint and need money asap will lead to us selling him at a cut price? Or at least not maximising his potential worth, I thought last season started badly but this season has the potential to be a disaster

Archived