IGNORED

James' Fluorescent Goalkeeping Strip

Redland

Can anyone please explain the current trend towards goalkeepers wearing bright and garish strips?. James yesterday was kitted out entirely in fluorescent lime green and stood out like a sore thumb.

It is a fact that the human brain finds it easier to avoid objects that are brightly coloured and prominent. To state the obvious, scoring goals involves avoiding (beating) the goalkeeper.

Since most strikers, when they shoot, have only the briefest glance at the goal, or are even looking at the goal out of the corner of their eye it seems to me that a goalkeeper helpfully advertising his position by wearing fluorescent kit can only assist the striker. It may look flash but I think there is a lot to be said for the traditional drab green jersey.

The Ipswich keeper yesterday wore a drab kit which blended in with the crowd and it didn't do him any harm.

I think it might be an adidas thing that they started with Chelsea. They think it is supposed to panic the striker seeing a bright goalkeeper rushing out to them.

But have to agree that I think it's better the plainer the colour makes it harder for the striker to see where the GK is!

I think it might be an adidas thing that they started with Chelsea. They think it is supposed to panic the striker seeing a bright goalkeeper rushing out to them.

But have to agree that I think it's better the plainer the colour makes it harder for the striker to see where the GK is!

Totally agree, I don't like these bright colours - bring back the green jersey!

I think it's a valid point.

I remember years ago a player lobbing John Shaw. He stated afterwards that Shaw was easy to spot off his line because of his shiny bald head!

Can anyone remember they player and game?

Can't name the player Quedge,but it was definately Crewe away. Mightve been the equaliser in a one all draw.

I think it was Chelsea who did a lot of research into this and the bright colours are the ones that make the goalie perceivably bigger than they actually are to on-coming players.

I like the new shirt!link.png

Yes it seems that if a player has a split second snap shot he inadvertently shoots at the bright colour.

Archived