IGNORED

Extended Highlights On Player (For Free)

bristolcitysweden

Feeling a lot better after having seen the goals. People should open their eyes or keep their mouth shut.

Its you opinion and is fair enough, but highlights distort the game...its no different from seeing a player on YouTube and thinking we should sign him. The defence was and is poor...as much as Maynard has got some stick for yesterday, the number of aimless balls yet again pumped forward from the back was oh so predictable. As well as the lapses in concentration at key times. Whoever is utimately at falut for yesterday the one thing those that were there should agree on was that it was De Ja Vu. The team was exactly that of the start of last season, no new faces and the similar problems. I call that complacent at best or more likely bloody negligent.

Its you opinion and is fair enough, but highlights distort the game...its no different from seeing a player on YouTube and thinking we should sign him. The defence was and is poor...as much as Maynard has got some stick for yesterday, the number of aimless balls yet again pumped forward from the back was oh so predictable. As well as the lapses in concentration at key times. Whoever is utimately at falut for yesterday the one thing those that were there should agree on was that it was De Ja Vu. The team was exactly that of the start of last season, no new faces and the similar problems. I call that complacent at best or more likely bloody negligent.

How was the defence as a unit poor? The only goal i would have any issue with the defending would be their second, when Fonts just backed off and backed off.

As a unit they defended well and restricted and immensely tallented Ipswich attack to absolutely nothing, they hardly managed to get in behind at all and JET, Chopra and Martin hardly got a sniff except when our non defenders contrived to bollock it all up.

First goal came as a direct result as some truly shocking indecision from Stead and then some more poor decision making from James, the second should have been dealt with better by fontaine, and the third was a calamatous balls up from the useless JCR and James.

After yesterday i'm more concerned about the fact that bar albert our midfield is complete bollocks and couldn't pass their way out of a wet paper bag. Hopefully Ried will get a shot on tuesday to show what he can do.

How was the defence as a unit poor? The only goal i would have any issue with the defending would be their second, when Fonts just backed off and backed off.

As a unit they defended well and restricted and immensely tallented Ipswich attack to absolutely nothing, they hardly managed to get in behind at all and JET, Chopra and Martin hardly got a sniff except when our non defenders contrived to bollock it all up.

First goal came as a direct result as some truly shocking indecision from Stead and then some more poor decision making from James, the second should have been dealt with better by fontaine, and the third was a calamatous balls up from the useless JCR and James.

After yesterday i'm more concerned about the fact that bar albert our midfield is complete bollocks and couldn't pass their way out of a wet paper bag. Hopefully Ried will get a shot on tuesday to show what he can do.

They have a distinct lack of control, dispite Millens best efforts to play out from the back , both Fontaine and Nyatanga just cannot bring the ball out of defence with any composure and the the ditrabution is as I've said before is Sunday Morning. Nyatanga actually blasted the ball at JCR in th efiirst half I couldn't beleive it.

Secondly Fontian and Nyatanga again lose concentration, Fontaine went to sleep for the first goal yes James got caught in no-mans land but Chopra was already gone, where was the defence? 2nd goal just look at the pictures Fontaine backed off and made it so easy for Martin. 3rd goal yes massive keeper error..but as for Ipswich hardly havign a sniff...neither did we and it comes froma lack of control starting from the back. We just do not retian the ball well enough and give ourselves chance to create.

And my view is not not just based on yesterday. I wen to the WBA game and as poor James was yesterday he was fantastic in that game bailing out the denfence time and again. Fontiain being the main culprit repeatedly loosing concentration and who lost his man for their late goal. The best defender bar a nervous first 10 mins was James Wilson and I couldn't beleive he didn't make the starting 11 yesterday.

They have a distinct lack of control, dispite Millens best efforts to play out from the back , both Fontaine and Nyatanga just cannot bring the ball out of defence with any composure and the the ditrabution is as I've said before is Sunday Morning. Nyatanga actually blasted the ball at JCR in th efiirst half I couldn't beleive it.

Secondly Fontian and Nyatanga again lose concentration, Fontaine went to sleep for the first goal yes James got caught in no-mans land but Chopra was already gone, where was the defence? 2nd goal just look at the pictures Fontaine backed off and made it so easy for Martin. 3rd goal yes massive keeper error..but as for Ipswich hardly havign a sniff...neither did we and it comes froma lack of control starting from the back. We just do not retian the ball well enough and give ourselves chance to create.

And my view is not not just based on yesterday. I wen to the WBA game and as poor James was yesterday he was fantastic in that game bailing out the denfence time and again. Fontiain being the main culprit repeatedly loosing concentration and who lost his man for their late goal. The best defender bar a nervous first 10 mins was James Wilson and I couldn't beleive he didn't make the starting 11 yesterday.

Woah woah woah, Nyatanga is shit going forward without any opportunities for a pass yes, fair enough, but lost concentration yesterday? He had a very good game defensively, as he did vs. WBA when he came on.

Spence and Fontaine are both culpable for the first.

Woah woah woah, Nyatanga is shit going forward without any opportunities for a pass yes, fair enough, but lost concentration yesterday? He had a very good game defensively, as he did vs. WBA when he came on.

Spence and Fontaine are both culpable for the first.

I think you will it was Fontaine & Nyatanga chasing back, Spence was still in the other half of the pitch.

For the second goal if you're not seeing the defensive errors you're a blind man - Fontaine lets Martin have the run on him for a good 20 yards if not more.

Hence the reason i said apart from the second goal.

The first goal is in interesting one in my eyes, if you are Fontaine or Nayatanga and you look up the pitch to see stead with the ball, with JCR to the left of him completely unmarked and Maynard to the right of him completely unmarked, you are in all likelyhood expecting one of a few outcomes, 1) Stead has a pop and he either scores, misses or it's saved, 2) Stead passes to JCR who does the same, or 3) stead passes to maynard who again does the same. I don't think a clairvoyant would be expecting what actually happened, which was Stead inexplicably does absolutely nothing, he just trundles into the center back, then it was just lumped up the pitch and Chopra ran through and even then he wasnt exactly bearing down on the center of the goal and had James not gone utterly mental the only way he was going to score was with an absolute monster of a finish. Yes in a ideal world you would never like to let the opposition in behind, but we are in the championship and just as we are always going to get in behind in every game once or twice, so are the opposition, whats important is you don't let teams in behind with a simple 1 on 1, we didn't do that at all yesterday, Ipswich got in behind on the right side once not really posing a terrible threat to the goal until James cocked up.

The second was rank bad defending from Fontaine, but that was more down to him attempting to stop Martin with his left side which he is far more comfortable with. Fontaine is less one sided than Nayatanga, but he is still horribly biased to his left hand side, so playing him on the right of center was frankly a thoroughly bollocks decision from Millen. Had Fontaine just gone with his admitedly weaker right side he in all likelyhood would have blocked what wasn't exactly a brilliant shot from Martin.

They had one chance from which they hit the post, Elliot forced a great save from their keeper and Maynard managed to not score from about 5 inches out Chopras goal was a half chance at best, and the other two were given to them one by poor defending and one by the two worst players on the pitch.

The distribution is i think more down to the fact that the midfield gave the ball away almost every time the defenders did play it out to them, so it's hardly surprising that they started to bypass the midfield because at least when they went long it occasionally stayed in our possession.

Fontaine had a poor game, which is at least partly explained by the position he was playing which he shouldn't have been starting in, and spence looked as if he hasn't played with the team for a while, apart from that we kept a decent forward line quiet in open play (when they had the ball)

I think you will it was Fontaine & Nyatanga chasing back, Spence was still in the other half of the pitch.

Nyatanga was covering. Chopra was on the left edge of the box on their side, or on our RHS, Spence and Fontaine territory.

How can anyone say the defence were blameless in the first 2 goal and James at fault? For Gods sake they knew all about Chopra yet let him get behind them for the first. I'm interested to know what those who are blaming James would have done/recommended he do in that situation. Font's has to shoulder the bulk of the blame for the 2nd that said James shouldn't have been beaten at the near post. I'm sure he'll say he was unsighted but either way not great keeping. The 3rd I'd say was 60/40 with JCR taking the majority of the responsibility. A poor underhit back pass without looking to see if there was any danger. James's attempt at a clearance was weak but had he blasted it and the rebound flew in off of Chopra people would ask why he done that instead of taking a touch. Also his feeble effort would have been enough had it not been for the strikers arm controling the ball. Why did he pass to JCR in the first place is a question that has surfaced on other threads but I've lost count of the times he's been slated on here for not passing short. I'm not saying he was blameless, in fact far from it, but to say as the OP has said he was responsible for 2.5 of the goals whilst exonerating the rest of the team is, I feel unfair. There are some on here who just don't rate him and believe we should revert to Gerken, whilst I respect their opinions I don't agree with them. His past glories don't make him beyond critisism but I think many of his critics are not balancing the truth but jumping on an oppertunity to strenghten their argument. At the end of the day a keepers mistakes are more noticable than any other players. I think in truth he made less errors than most of the rest of the side but his happened to be the last errors before a goal.

and it comes froma lack of control starting from the back. We just do not retian the ball well enough and give ourselves chance to create.

That nails it. Control the midfield control the game. It can relieve pressure on the defence, perhaps take the sting out of the game a bit and also put the opposition under pressure.

You could argue the 2nd came as a result of McAlisters quick free kick having everyone out of position too. That's where the first phase of the play started.

It doesn't really excuse the fact we were generally a load of shite on Saturday though.

You could argue the 2nd came as a result of McAlisters quick free kick having everyone out of position too. That's where the first phase of the play started.

It doesn't really excuse the fact we were generally a load of shite on Saturday though.

Off topic, was that you in the match program on Sat Tom?

I would blame David James for the first goal, though you have to question why Chopra has so much space.

2nd goal, cant knock jamo - poor defending.

3rd, he is partly to blame, but JCR is more to blame for giving him a hospital ball

3rd, he is partly to blame, but JCR is more to blame for giving him a hospital ball

Had James been quicker to get to the pass or booted it out we would have been fine. ANYTHING other than being a cocky git and chipping it over an oncoming striker - leaving him with a great deal egg on his face.

Had James been quicker to get to the pass or booted it out we would have been fine. ANYTHING other than being a cocky git and chipping it over an oncoming striker - leaving him with a great deal egg on his face.

But JCR put him in a position where he was needlessly under pressure.

You right, he should have put it into touch - but he should'nt have had to make that split second decision.

You right, he should have put it into touch - but he should'nt have had to make that split second decision.

It was a poor pass, but not one that was particularly difficult to deal with, especially for someone with his experience. It was the kind of error you could forgive Hendo (RIP), because he's a young lad. James, no.

Spot on, goalkeeping is all about making split second decisions and occasionally it backfires. I have read some right old tripe on here about goalkeeping since Saturday. I defy anyone to name a goalkeeper who gets things wrong every now and then. I would have said James has made very few mistakes duing his time with us.

Yep

It's funny how you paint a mental picture of someone you've never seen.

I had you down as an old, sad, nerdy - geeky type.

And I was right!!!!!!

No, only joking Tom laughcont.gif It's good to put a face to a username occasionally.

Archived