IGNORED

Lansdown Must Shoulder Some Of The Blame..

SimplyRed

While Steve Lansdown's money, conviction and support of the club have been welcomed and generally guided the club in a positive direction and - in the main - he's been a tremendous benefactor for the club, I do feel his lack of experience in running a professional football club has been a factor in our current plight.

And, as a businessman, I think he saw the writing on the wall when he stepped down and out of the limelight, when he realised that Millen was never going to be the answer.

From the time he took over 9 years ago, his managerial appointments have been, for me, slightly naive and certainly failures (for different reasons) in three of his four selections.

• Brian Tinnion - was a popular choice with many fans, but it was always going to end in tears, with no managerial experience and an emotional disposition.
  • Gary Johnson - was again a popular choice with the fans and brought success was promotion and, though I was not in favour of his appointment (this man NEVER played professional football!), must be tagged as Lansdown's only successful manager. However, he overstayed his welcome and we had definitely lost momentum by the time he was removed.
  • Steve Coppell - was, on paper, an excellent capture by Lansdown and was the sort of manager this club should be buying the services of - a "been there, done that" manager with a wealth of experience. Unfortunately, we do not know what suddenly caused him to resign and may never know, and he will, for me, always be remembered for being the "best manager City never had". IMO, I think he walked because he wasn't given the money he wanted for players and he knew it was a poisoned chalice without the money.
  • Keith Millen - Like Tinnion, the "cheap" option. Two things rankle me about his appointment: 1) That he wasn't good enough when the job was handed to Coppell, but suddenly was "the man for the job" when the latter subsequently resigned, and 2) that the main reason he was given the job was "because he can hit the ground running, and knows the players, backroom staff". I never agreed with the appointment of Millen, never have, and in one season and two games, this man hasn't exactly "hit the ground running", has he? No managerial experience, never played above the 2nd tier - what can he possibly offer?

I remained convinced that if Lansdown had bit the bullet and cleared out all the coaches (including Millen) after Johnson left, and appointed a "been there, done that" experienced manager and backed him (I think Coppell would have stayed if the transfer purse had been right), we would not be talking about relegation fears now.

I have said elsewhere that more generally the lurching from one strategy to another is poor management by Steve and Colin, both of whom are happy to let Keith take all the blame. I can't imagine Steve would manage his business like this; then again he is from the financial sector and we have learned that risk management is not a great strength there. :innocent06:

If we hadn't had SL's backing and he hadn't picked Gary Johnson or supplied the money to buy the likes of Nicky Maynard, Sundays local derby could have easily been against the gas in League 2. We definitely wouldn't be talking about a new ground or any of the other improvements this club is trying to make.

I wouldn't be surprised that if he reads some of the comments by the ungrateful armchair managers and businessmen that get on this forum, that he wishes he had left us to it and moved somewhere even warmer than Guernsey.

While Steve Lansdown's money, conviction and support of the club have been welcomed and generally guided the club in a positive direction and - in the main - he's been a tremendous benefactor for the club, I do feel his lack of experience in running a professional football club has been a factor in our current plight.

And, as a businessman, I think he saw the writing on the wall when he stepped down and out of the limelight, when he realised that Millen was never going to be the answer.

From the time he took over 9 years ago, his managerial appointments have been, for me, slightly naive and certainly failures (for different reasons) in three of his four selections.

• Brian Tinnion - was a popular choice with many fans, but it was always going to end in tears, with no managerial experience and an emotional disposition.
  • Gary Johnson - was again a popular choice with the fans and brought success was promotion and, though I was not in favour of his appointment (this man NEVER played professional football!), must be tagged as Lansdown's only successful manager. However, he overstayed his welcome and we had definitely lost momentum by the time he was removed.
  • Steve Coppell - was, on paper, an excellent capture by Lansdown and was the sort of manager this club should be buying the services of - a "been there, done that" manager with a wealth of experience. Unfortunately, we do not know what suddenly caused him to resign and may never know, and he will, for me, always be remembered for being the "best manager City never had". IMO, I think he walked because he wasn't given the money he wanted for players and he knew it was a poisoned chalice without the money.
  • Keith Millen - Like Tinnion, the "cheap" option. Two things rankle me about his appointment: 1) That he wasn't good enough when the job was handed to Coppell, but suddenly was "the man for the job" when the latter subsequently resigned, and 2) that the main reason he was given the job was "because he can hit the ground running, and knows the players, backroom staff". I never agreed with the appointment of Millen, never have, and in one season and two games, this man hasn't exactly "hit the ground running", has he? No managerial experience, never played above the 2nd tier - what can he possibly offer?

I remained convinced that if Lansdown had bit the bullet and cleared out all the coaches (including Millen) after Johnson left, and appointed a "been there, done that" experienced manager and backed him (I think Coppell would have stayed if the transfer purse had been right), we would not be talking about relegation fears now.

And lets look at the players that Coppell brought to the club in his short time. All crap and a waste of our small budget. Thank **** he went.

Lansdown provided the budget its up to the managers to do their best with it,

He gave Tinnion and teflon a go and it hasn't worked notthing wrong with giving good servents to a club a go in managerment,

Coppel couldn't be helped he saw what this club was and left and Johnson he was right to trust because what he achieved,

If you can fault him for anything its being to loyal and not acting sooner as with Johnson Tinnion and now teflon (all though that can be aimed at sexston and could still be turned round no matter how doubtful it seems)#

But we should not bite the hand that feeds us if we piss him off and he goes completey leaves then it will be administation, which is why most critisiam at Steve is always muted

Me I remain fully behind him as owner

I think you're right about Coppell. I'm not convinced he was ill or anything and I don't think he wanted to retire, but I do think Steve lied to Coppell. I can imagine it being I want Premier League football and I'll back you all the way, let you get the players to take you there, but I want Millen as number 2.

I think Coppell thought that's fine, he signed a couple of players he thought would do a job, but when he went knocking to sign the 4 or 5 quality players to make a difference, he was told the powder was dry and there was no more support. He then basically knew the squad he had would never make the Premier League, and decided he couldn't work with them so walked out.

Lansdown couldn't sue him or do anything to him, because he let him resign but ultimately he couldn't slate him or anything because he knows that it was him who got Coppell here on false promises. Also the fans were lied to in adverts to buy season tickets and that, however we were made to watch all the dross.

This year I have a season ticket but you know what I can't actually be bothered to go. I've paid my money so the club has been helped out, but I would rather do the cleaning or the gardening on a Saturday then watch the shower of shite we've been serving up for the last 12 months.

If we hadn't had SL's backing and he hadn't picked Gary Johnson or supplied the money to buy the likes of Nicky Maynard, Sundays local derby could have easily been against the gas in League 2. We definitely wouldn't be talking about a new ground or any of the other improvements this club is trying to make.

I wouldn't be surprised that if he reads some of the comments by the ungrateful armchair managers and businessmen that get on this forum, that he wishes he had left us to it and moved somewhere even warmer than Guernsey.

All that is a given but that doesn't mean he doesn't make mistakes, as he has acknowledged himself.

It defines this forum when defeat to one of the Championship favourites away from home causes it to go into meltdown. I hadn't realised that beating Cardiff away was a benchmark to where we are as a team. Lets sack the manager today and get a new one in ready for the next game, Leicester away. Of course we will probably need another new manager when we lose that one as well. Who shall we have for Portsmouth at home?

Why doesn't someone suggest we get rid of the manager alltogether and choose the formation and the team via a series of polls on this forum? We could even have a pre match team talk via twitter, that seems to be where all the other big mouths spout crap these days.

It defines this forum when defeat to one of the Championship favourites away from home causes it to go into meltdown. I hadn't realised that beating Cardiff away was a benchmark to where we are as a team. Lets sack the manager today and get a new one in ready for the next game, Leicester away. Of course we will probably need another new manager when we lose that one as well. Who shall we have for Portsmouth at home?

Why doesn't someone suggest we get rid of the manager alltogether and choose the formation and the team via a series of polls on this forum? We could even have a pre match team talk via twitter, that seems to be where all the other big mouths spout crap these days.

Sorry to repeat myself but as Keith himself says in the EP today it is the manner of defeat not the defeats that are worrying. All the worse features of last season are still evident and one way or another Keith appears powerless to do anything about it (he cannot sign players and he hasn't been able to coach his way out of it either). Some seem to have a complacent view that all will be ok because there are umpteen teams worse than us. If we continue to gift 3 goals a game to all and sundry we are as likely to lose to them though.

Sorry to repeat myself but as Keith himself says in the EP today it is the manner of defeat not the defeats that are worrying. All the worse features of last season are still evident and one way or another Keith appears powerless to do anything about it (he cannot sign players and he hasn't been able to coach his way out of it either). Some seem to have a complacent view that all will be ok because there are umpteen teams worse than us. If we continue to gift 3 goals a game to all and sundry we are as likely to lose to them though.

I'm sure west ham were saying last season "its ok there are 5 or 6 teams worse then us"

• Gary Johnson - this man NEVER played professional football!

Totally off topic - but so what? Jose Mourinho never played proffesionally, but he is probabaly the best manager in the world. The current Chelsea manager also has'nt played proffesionally.

Far too much is read into playing career's when it comes to management.

I am not complacent I just think we had the worst possible opening fixtures. I don't expect us to do any better against Leicester on Wednesday, I will start to worry if we don't do better against Portsmouth (an equally poor start) and Doncaster (relegation favourites in my eyes.). I also have already voiced my concerns about the Manager playing people out of position and using a formation that doesn't play to the strengths of our squad, both of these issues were addressed to some extent yesterday. Despite the defeat I would like to see us trying the 3-5-2 formation for the next few games.

Getting back to the original point, SL has of course made mistakes in the past, what I am trying and struggling to understand is why defeat to Cardiff, which to many seemed inevitable on Saturday, is suddenly the end of the world on Monday. The individual mistakes, people not doing their jobs, are the biggest problem for sure, and yes we do need to iradicate those, but other than that we didn't look outclassed against Ipswich and did well for large parts of the game yesterday. This is not a meltdown situation.

Getting back to the original point, SL has of course made mistakes in the past, what I am trying and struggling to understand is why defeat to Cardiff, which to many seemed inevitable on Saturday, is suddenly the end of the world on Monday. The individual mistakes, people not doing their jobs, are the biggest problem for sure, and yes we do need to iradicate those, but other than that we didn't look outclassed against Ipswich and did well for large parts of the game yesterday. This is not a meltdown situation.

Why do people think that any criticism is purely due to the last game?

The comment was on the general trend of things over past few years. It was never about the last game, so why do you try to make it so? I never mentioned the last game in my original post, I was merely voicing my personal opinion on Steve Lansdown track record in his selection of managers - how is that relevant to the last game, except for the fact that it was posted the day after the last game?

No, it's not a meltdown situation, but many people, on the evidence before their eyes, can see it becoming one. If you want to talk about yesterday's game - start your own thread!

Totally off topic - but so what? Jose Mourinho never played proffesionally, but he is probabaly the best manager in the world. The current Chelsea manager also has'nt played proffesionally.

Far too much is read into playing career's when it comes to management.

The exception, rather than the rule, I think you'll agree. Tell me how many managers managing in the top two tiers have never played professionally?

The exception, rather than the rule, I think you'll agree. Tell me how many managers managing in the top two tiers have never played professionally?

Well thats because they dont get many opportunity's - But I would say good player's dont make good manager's - would you agree?

I am not complacent I just think we had the worst possible opening fixtures. I don't expect us to do any better against Leicester on Wednesday, I will start to worry if we don't do better against Portsmouth (an equally poor start) and Doncaster (relegation favourites in my eyes.). I also have already voiced my concerns about the Manager playing people out of position and using a formation that doesn't play to the strengths of our squad, both of these issues were addressed to some extent yesterday. Despite the defeat I would like to see us trying the 3-5-2 formation for the next few games.

Now look here old chap, we'll have none of that sensible, measured approach on here. Please try and stick to the time honoured approach of knee jerk hysteria that has served this forum so well over the years. Just to be sure here are the forum rules:

1. The current manager is crap and should never have been appointed. You knew this at the time but didn't say for fear of being shouted down;

2. Pick one player to be honorary love child of current manager (this is easier if the current manager plays a relative), and berate him constantly;

3. Campaign tirelessly to have included in the match day squad players or a player that has been left out. Imbue this player with magical qualities as the answer to world issues. In the event the player does get on and doesn't improve things, return to point 1 - bad management;

4. If anyone should have the temerity to disagree, repeat everything you've said, throwing in the odd insult and imply that they either haven't been watching the game, are a complete numpty or know nothing about the game - preferably all three. It's sometimes a good idea to accuse them of being gas at this point too - just for good measure. This tactic ensures the thread descends into name calling rather than about the football.

5. Make up some derogatory, and in your eyes amusing, name for the manager. Classics such as Fat Controller, Teflon and muppet have been overused so please try and make up a new one.

6. During the threads descent into name calling, wistfully reminisce on the "good old days" of the forum and recall the names of long gone posters who always talked sense (mostly cos they agreed with your view). Threaten to also leave and never come back. Better still, start a new thread asking how to cancel your account for maximum effect.

7. Start a poll asking who everyone wants for the new manager. Make sure you have some big names that are unobtainable on it.

Hope that helps.

Cheese

Well thats because they dont get many opportunity's - But I would say good player's dont make good manager's - would you agree?

What is your criteria for the qualifier "good"? That's a very subjective qualification.

I would imagine there are plenty of ex-players out there who are well-known and respected managers - enough to put a question mark over your statement, if you ignore the subjective "good".

Now look here old chap, we'll have none of that sensible, measured approach on here. Please try and stick to the time honoured approach of knee jerk hysteria that has served this forum so well over the years. Just to be sure here are the forum rules:

1. The current manager is crap and should never have been appointed. You knew this at the time but didn't say for fear of being shouted down;

2. Pick one player to be honorary love child of current manager (this is easier if the current manager plays a relative), and berate him constantly;

3. Campaign tirelessly to have included in the match day squad players or a player that has been left out. Imbue this player with magical qualities as the answer to world issues. In the event the player does get on and doesn't improve things, return to point 1 - bad management;

4. If anyone should have the temerity to disagree, repeat everything you've said, throwing in the odd insult and imply that they either haven't been watching the game, are a complete numpty or know nothing about the game - preferably all three. It's sometimes a good idea to accuse them of being gas at this point too - just for good measure. This tactic ensures the thread descends into name calling rather than about the football.

5. Make up some derogatory, and in your eyes amusing, name for the manager. Classics such as Fat Controller, Teflon and muppet have been overused so please try and make up a new one.

6. During the threads descent into name calling, wistfully reminisce on the "good old days" of the forum and recall the names of long gone posters who always talked sense (mostly cos they agreed with your view). Threaten to also leave and never come back. Better still, start a new thread asking how to cancel your account for maximum effect.

7. Start a poll asking who everyone wants for the new manager. Make sure you have some big names that are unobtainable on it.

Hope that helps.

Cheese

Thank you, I will try to adhere of course, but we didn't need all these rules when this forum started out you know.........................................................

Damn it broken one already,,,,,:innocent06:

What is your criteria for the qualifier "good"? That's a very subjective qualification.

I would imagine there are plenty of ex-players out there who are well-known and respected managers - enough to put a question mark over your statement, if you ignore the subjective "good".

Look at the top managers in the world at the moment. Fergie, Wenger, Andrew Villa Boas & Mourinho for example werent top class players.

Pep Guardiola is the exception to that rule of course.

But then you have players like Bryan Robson & Tony Adams, for example who were top players and very good captains and could never make it as a manager.

Point i'm making is, playing career's dont give any indication as to whether a manager will be a decent one.

Seems more than a coincidence to me that SL stands down as chairman, and low and behold, for the first time in a long time we appear to have no money for signigs, costs need to be cut etc.

I'm not saying that we dont have to cost cut, try and clear out the dead-wood, but what I am saying is that I feel Sexstone has been "set up" as the fall guy to front all this cost cutting, and get the grief / abuse accordingly, whilst in the back ground SL is still pulling all the strings, and holding all the cards - especially with his son as his "voice and ears" on the board.

Did you go yesterday?

It makes me laugh these people who seem to think we want Millen to go just because we lost a game. Its not the defeat that concerns me, its the way we lost!! its the way we continue to lose.....and its the way we continue to look like a League 2 outfit....and that is not an over the top reaction!!

Sky Sports were quoted as saying we didnt look interested

BBC were quoted as saying we cannot defend.

Defeat I can handle......sheer incompetence I cannot. Millen started with an apparent 4-3-3 yesterday?? yet anyone who watched the first half could clearly see Skuse was playing left wing?? why? why is our imbecile of a manager picking Cole Skuse and playing him out wide?? unbelievable!

Why was John Stead dropped?? our only attacker who specialises in holding up play.....was left on the bench.

Millen is an incompetent buffoon who, after 12 months, still doesnt have a clue how to get the best out of what he has. He bought Woolford in "to bring balance to the side...." yet as I said, we play either the right footed JCR out there....or Skuse!

Yes we have a poor squad, but we are still good enough to stay up. Millen said himself "no excuses"....and their shouldnt be. Even his most staunchest supporters cannot defend him now....because he is clearly not good enough, and showing no signs of improving.

Yesterday wasnt just a "defeat against one of the favorites"......it was a game of football between a decent football team, and a team who looked like a bunch of special needs kids who get picked last in P.E!!

Hope that helps.

Cheese

8. Type "FACT" at the end of personal statements and opinions

Archived