IGNORED

Just Back From Game

And Its Smith

Well I don't think a single City fan there tonight or at home expected that result!

It was a nervy game that was low in quality but pretty high in excitement. Leicester were surprisingly poor and a lot of their fans were moaning afterwards about their system and team selection - I think all fans are the same when they lose!

Millen took the brave decision to drop David James and change the system to a 4-5-1/4-3-3. The system worked well for a number of reasons:

1. The three man midfield was a lot more solid and meant that Leicester found it hard to play through the middle.

2. Maynard had a wonderful game on his own up front and was supported well by Campbell-Ryce.

3. Leicester's centre backs had an absolute nightmare. I understood that Bamba was a very good player. Complete donkey if you ask me!

If any team deserved to win then we did although a draw may have been more fair. We won the vast majority of the 2nd balls which was vital.

Anyway, here are my ratings if anyone cares:

Gerken - 5 - had little to do and generally handled well although did not do himself any favour with their goal and a near kamikaze attempt to punch the ball with three minutes left which very nearly resulted in an equaliser.

Spence - 6 - stuck to his taste well but seemed very casual at times. Before this game I'd have said to give him a go at centre back but changed my mind on this display.

Wilson - 8 - won most of his headers, was strong and always seemed to be in the right place at the right time. Handled Nugent very well. Good prospect.

Nyatanga - 6 - Much better from him. A couple of moments of poor concentration that we have come to expect but generally good. Marked down for his continuous launches forward

McAllister - 6 - Clumsy at times but read the game well. We looked more dodgy when he went off.

Skuse - 7 - Got stuck in and broke up play well. The most un-noticed of the three midfielders but that's no bad thing.

Elliot - 7 - lots of effort and closing down. Strong in the tackle, a good captains display.

Kilkenny - 7 - marked down one as I think it was him who lost the ball for their goal. Very impressive display. Lots of shouting and organising and the one City player who is comfortable on the ball and willing to pass along the floor. Must play every game.

Campbell-Ryce - 8 - held up the ball very well and caused them problems which showed with him winning the free kick that resulted in the first goal and the penalty. Always looked to get involved.

Adomah - 6 - slightly disappointed with Albert. He seemed to be devoid of confidence and didnt really try to take Konchesky on at all. Most of the time he passed back to Spence. Did win a lot of headers though.

Maynard - 9 - would have been a 10 if he had scored the penalty. A fantastic display. Held up the ball very well. Was sharp and always looking for the ball. Just knew that he would score when he ran clean through. From his body language afterwards I would guarantee he will be off. Rumours before the game of Pardew, Coyle and Warnock being at the ground.

listened to the end of the radio. could not go due to work

they said Nyatanga was excellent all game.

fair enough each to their own, but when an outside / non biased person says things about our players, I take note of them.

Very easy to wear rose tinted glasses when ranking our favourite / hated players.

Maynard - 9 - would have been a 10 if he had scored the penalty. A fantastic display. Held up the ball very well. Was sharp and always looking for the ball. Just knew that he would score when he ran clean through. From his body language afterwards I would guarantee he will be off. Rumours before the game of Pardew, Coyle and Warnock being at the ground.

As it is seeming increasingly likely that he will go, this is just what we want. There were always 2 ways we would get a better price for him, he signed a longer contract or, there were 3 or 4 Prem clubs competing for his signature. Let the bidding war commence!

Adomah - 6 - slightly disappointed with Albert. He seemed to be devoid of confidence and didnt really try to take Konchesky on at all. Most of the time he passed back to Spence. Did win a lot of headers though.

Thanks for taking the time to post ratings and comments. Listening to the game though, the commentators said that Albert had given Konchesky a hard time all evening?

Thanks for taking the time to post ratings and comments. Listening to the game though, the commentators said that Albert had given Konchesky a hard time all evening?

I'd say that Konchesky had a shocker which was partly down to Albert's harrassing and his own inability. Albert with the ball at his feet was quite poor for me. We all see it different though! He did beat Konchesky in the air a lot so maybe I'm being a bit picky. He's set high standards though hasnt he?!

I'd say that Konchesky had a shocker which was partly down to Albert's harrassing and his own inability. Albert with the ball at his feet was quite poor for me. We all see it different though! He did beat Konchesky in the air a lot so maybe I'm being a bit picky. He's set high standards though hasnt he?!

You can say that again.

Came half way over to the fans and clapped a few times. Didn't look thrilled with the win. Could easily be reading too much into it though!

Maynard's never exactly been Mr Emotional though has he? I wouldn't worry so much, he always seems pretty serious.

Thanks for the post Dave.

I think you could be reading too much into it; Nicky often looks a bit neutral with his expressions but if he is off then so be it; we just need to hold out for as high a sum as we possibly can.

I thought we would get a 1-1 tonight but a win is very welcome. Lets hope we can strengthen where we urgently need to and start our season from here.

I've gone from being terrified of losing Maynard to seeing it as being necessary. My only fear is we won't see the money go back into the kitty. Call me a pessimist (I definitely am a pessimist!) but with lansdown gone I fear for our financial situation and general lack of sustainability. Still. Great result. Reason to start being a bit positive!

The only thing missing was mention of Gerkens crucial save just after half time. It was a team selected for a specific game, with a plan based on frustrating the opposition, the City players all showed 100% commitment and did a fantastic job, and we got a deserved 3 points.

I've gone from being terrified of losing Maynard to seeing it as being necessary. My only fear is we won't see the money go back into the kitty. Call me a pessimist (I definitely am a pessimist!) but with lansdown gone I fear for our financial situation and general lack of sustainability. Still. Great result. Reason to start being a bit positive!

Well he's not gone, which kind of puts all your worries to bed, eh?

I just got back from the game and would concur with most of the Op's points and scores. It was definitely a good time to play Leicester as clearly haven't gelled yet. However no discredit to us as we looked good and very dangerous on the break. Campbell Ryce, Albert and Nicky were a constant threat. It's true that Albert checked back a few times tonight, but he often had two and sometimes three players around him, so it was probably the right thing to do to keep posession. Kilkenny had a very good game, but ruined it slightly by hanging on to the ball instead of clearing it; he then lost it, Nugent shot and they scored. For me Mcallister was average, but worryingly Woolford was awful when he came on to cover at left back. Not sure if Jamie will be out on Saturday? Gerken had nothing to do in the first half. He made an incredible save in the second to stop an almost certain goal, but as mentioned he messed up for their goal and nearly blew it at the end. The city fans were very supportive of him the whole game and fully backed the decision to drop James.

As someone brought up in Leicestershire for 18 years and being a sole Bristol City fan in a school of Leicester fans it always means a lot to me for us to beat Leicester and it was a great night. However it did make me reflect how much we will miss Maynard if he goes. Before the game I was saying we need to end this saga now and sell him, but he looked very dangerous tonight and the 4-5-1 worked so well because every time the ball was played to his feet he looked like scoring. He could easily have had 3 or 4 tonight. I have had texts from a few Leics fans saying how much they hope Sven ups his bid for Maynard after seeing him tonight. They were very impressed!

Well done Keith for the changes and the players for a good display.

gerkin was suprerb tonight as was jammer. now these may not be two of the most fashionable players but lets get used to it . Let keith pick his team ............ . A great performance

No way did leicester do enough for a draw. could easily have been 4 0 .

Leicesters goal was a farce.

bring on doncaster with a bit of confidence we could be mid table by saturday.

onwards and sideways!!!!

gerkin was suprerb tonight as was jammer. now these may not be two of the most fashionable players but lets get used to it . Let keith pick his team ............ . A great performance

No way did leicester do enough for a draw. could easily have been 4 0 .

Leicesters goal was a farce.

bring on doncaster with a bit of confidence we could be mid table by saturday.

onwards and sideways!!!!

Portsmouth?

listened to the end of the radio. could not go due to work

they said Nyatanga was excellent all game.

fair enough each to their own, but when an outside / non biased person says things about our players, I take note of them.

Very easy to wear rose tinted glasses when ranking our favourite / hated players.

The commentator last night was Brendon Mitchell, he is a city fan and was known as "Godzilla" on this forum for several years. Im not sure you could call him an outsider, or unbiased. (Im not knocking his credibility to ethics, just stating he is a city fan)

Posted by LCFC fan on their forum.

Fair play to Bristol City though, they're the best we've faced yet. Pressed well in midfield, made some good moves, looked vicious going forward. Could have had seven. Better side won. Don't blame the ref, he did very little wrong.

Nice to see us getting some credit for a change

Why the fck is Woolford playing LB every week? The bloke is an out and out attacker. Simple as that.

Because we have no cover! Who else do we have? We would have been mad to split the Wilson nytang partnership. So wooly is our only man naturally left sided! It needs addressing quick! But we no that!

Plus woolford not happy about being played there on twitter ! Nothing controversial just stated 3 times he's a winger!

Posted by LCFC fan on their forum.

Fair play to Bristol City though, they're the best we've faced yet. Pressed well in midfield, made some good moves, looked vicious going forward. Could have had seven. Better side won. Don't blame the ref, he did very little wrong.

Nice to see us getting some credit for a change

Now that does go down well! Last season after most away wins it was 'city weren't even that good', considering Leicester have already played Reading that's praise indeed.

Now that does go down well! Last season after most away wins it was 'city weren't even that good', considering Leicester have already played Reading that's praise indeed.

It was the same last season when we reserved our best performances for on the road. The counter attacking style we adopt away doesn't work at home though and remains a problem that KM has to resolve.

It was the same last season when we reserved our best performances for on the road. The counter attacking style we adopt away doesn't work at home though and remains a problem that KM has to resolve.

Its odd why that style wouldn't work at home. I think the reason doesn't work at home is that most fans want the ball forward as quickly as possible (as do most English fans). If it means being hard to beat for a few home games that would certainly be something to build on.

Archived