IGNORED

The Shame Of It...

SimplyRed

The title of this thread is wrong. It should be called the irony of it all. If you can't see some irony in the fact that you have so little interest in the club you didn't bother to check the result but have the time and temerity to come onto a Bristol City forum and tell people about it, then you are far too self absorbed.

This is a forum for Bristol City supporters, therefore, this seems a strange place for you to be posting. I am not denigrating your previous life as a supporter, you have obviously been around as long as I have but you are, by your own admission, not one any longer sad as it is to see you go I hope you enjoy your football free weekends.

I am fed up with seeing similar posts, Norman Vincent Peale created a theory and a wrote a book called the power of positive thinking, in that he touches on the how damaging negative thinking and words can be, The people who post here determined to only accentuate the negatives are dragging a whole portion of the support with them into their own personal black hole.

I don't care if (and when) I get the "happy clapper" type criticisms for this but I am have been supporting the club through thick and thin for nearly 50 years too and if it was humanly possible I would be here for another 50. People who try to tell me it's the worst it's ever been don't remember or choose to forget being bottom of the 4th division. One of the biggest differences between those sort of lows and this current one is that the fans got behind the team and did their best to drag them out of a hole. Currently it seems there are too many stood around with shovels, not rescue ropes.

The title of this thread is wrong. It should be called the irony of it all. If you can't see some irony in the fact that you have so little interest in the club you didn't bother to check the result but have the time and temerity to come onto a Bristol City forum and tell people about it, then you are far too self absorbed.

This is a forum for Bristol City supporters, therefore, this seems a strange place for you to be posting. I am not denigrating your previous life as a supporter, you have obviously been around as long as I have but you are, by your own admission, not one any longer sad as it is to see you go I hope you enjoy your football free weekends.

I am fed up with seeing similar posts, Norman Vincent Peale created a theory and a wrote a book called the power of positive thinking, in that he touches on the how damaging negative thinking and words can be, The people who post here determined to only accentuate the negatives are dragging a whole portion of the support with them into their own personal black hole.

I don't care if (and when) I get the "happy clapper" type criticisms for this but I am have been supporting the club through thick and thin for nearly 50 years too and if it was humanly possible I would be here for another 50. People who try to tell me it's the worst it's ever been don't remember or choose to forget being bottom of the 4th division. One of the biggest differences between those sort of lows and this current one is that the fans got behind the team and did their best to drag them out of a hole. Currently it seems there are too many stood around with shovels, not rescue ropes.

Spot on.

I've lost count of the number of topics slagging off our own players, have any of them escaped being told their not good enough for this team or this league.

Highlighting perceived faults without constructive comment is useless and damaging.

If any of the players read the forum they WILL be affected by the negative comment, they are after all human like the rest of us.

Before posting it would be great if the poster asked themselves a question.....am I perfect?

.....while the rest of us are like the stuff of the Ripping Yarns TV legend. True supporters like Gordon Ottershaw (Michael Palin) - the supporter of Barnstoneworth United, a small club once playing in the top leagues, now losing every game. Gordon Ottershaw has even named his son "Barnstoneworth United" and Gordon comes home after every lost match and smashes the furniture in fury. :winner_third_h4h:

Excellent post.

Completely agree with everything you've written... but the irony of my position is that although I approach everything I do with optimism and positivity I'd still find it easier to get behind the team if we got rid of Milly and put Donald Duck in charge. Not sure if the blame for this state of mind lies with me, Milly, or just what footy does to ordinarily well working brains.

We're nowhere near rock bottom and shouldn't get relegated with our team. The problem is most fans see us on a one way trajectory and want to act before it's too late. From a fan's perspective you can only control the controllables and have 3 choices: turn up and support, turn up and don't support, don't turn up. On Saturday I chose the latter, but to pay good money and boo seems illogical. If you want Milly out then vote with your feet til it changes. If you don't or are on the fence then turn up and get behind the boys... even if you wouldn't back them to beat a decent downs league team at present.

In response to your footer my favourite prediction quote is a Niels Bohr - "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future"

.....while the rest of us are like the stuff of the Ripping Yarns TV legend. True supporters like Gordon Ottershaw (Michael Palin) - the supporter of Barnstoneworth United, a small club once playing in the top leagues, now losing every game. Gordon Ottershaw has even named his son "Barnstoneworth United" and Gordon comes home after every lost match and smashes the furniture in fury. :winner_third_h4h:

Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Dobson, Dewhurst, Crapper, McIntyre, Treadmore,Davitts

Those were the days!

Spot on.

I've lost count of the number of topics slagging off our own players, have any of them escaped being told their not good enough for this team or this league.

Highlighting perceived faults without constructive comment is useless and damaging.

If any of the players read the forum they WILL be affected by the negative comment, they are after all human like the rest of us.

Before posting it would be great if the poster asked themselves a question.....am I perfect?

It's the rough with the smooth.

When the team are playing poorly with an apparent lack of effort or direction...apart from downwards....people will come on here and vent their frustrations.

Likewise, when it's all going well....people will come on here,celebrate and praise their heroes.

Surely that's what this forums all about? Being able to express your views as you see them.

It's all about opinions, and we've all got them.

Thanks for the psycho analysis, but I never said I have no interest in the club, my post implied it was not high on my list of priorities at the moment.

Like most other supporters, it's in my blood and always will be. But I would perhaps qualify that by saying that, perhaps, I'm a supporter rather than a fan? Fan is derived from the word 'fanatic', and I can honestly say I don't think I've ever been 'fanatical' about City - the importance of the club to me has varied over the years depending on what is in my life at the time. Regardless of your psycho-analysis and conclusion of my character, I think that is healthier than maintaining everything Bristol City at or near the top of your priorites.

Due to my personal life, my finances and, ultimately, the quality of entertainment at Ashton Gate at the moment, I find myself at a low ebb in terms of the importance of Bristol City.

I repeat, I was not intending to be negative about Bristol City, but merely expressing my relationship with the club at this time, which may or may not be interesting to other supporters. If it was not interesting to you - don't read it. I did not expect to get a character assassination, or told in no uncertain terms that my comments are unwelcome on this forum.

However, not being one to outstay my welcome, I'm happy to take a break from posting on this forum...

Spot on, we are currently at a level which can be generally be seen as above our historical standing, where we generally find ourselves is 1 league below this if you know anything about our history.

In terms of the worst it has ever been as some people have been saying, I suggest you have only been supporting about 4 or 5 years. in terms of Playing squad you only have to look back at Osman's team to see a truly bad team, Osman worked miracles keeping that team up. Then look at the teams under Wilson, yes played some good football before going defensive, were good enough to get promoted easily, but didn't because they were full of p155heads who cared more about beering up at the weekend than being a successful footballer.

This team have now may not be the most technically gifted, but they are highly professional compared to the absolute garbage wasters a p1ssheads we had here in the past who took the p**s out of us by caring more about beer than the club, yet still get idolised here by some.

It is about time people pulled their heads out their asses stop glorifying past failures and give support to a team that are not taking the p**s out of the supporters and are historically much higher up the league pyramid in the past 3-4 for a sustained period than many of the wasters that many people hear harp back to ever got close to.

For me 4 years at this level with the investment compared to others at this level and quite miserable support numbers compared to other teams up here, Millen and Johnson have both done well. But I forget, we are Bristol City, the all conquering all unbeatable best team in the world, Who should be able to attract the best footballers on the best wages, irrespective of our finance, irrespective that we are a backwater of a club with a pretty p1ss poor history. What exactly would any manager here have in the way of attracting top footballers? All I can think, it's a nice city, with good motorway links..... Great selling point for a footballer.

it seems people crave success, fair enough, but the pressure put on manager and players to succeed is way over the top. Some of it can be said to be the clubs fault by saying that they are going for a top 6 place, but if they didn't say that then the supporters would just bitch and moan about that as well.

Everyone needs to stand back, look at the football club as a whole, see that historically apart from a brief spell at the top in the 70's we are a league 1 club. People should get behind the team and see if we can sustain this spell punching above our weight. The only way any club sustains success is to stick together, whether you are a Milly fan or not, with the overall sense that supporters and club are pulling apart from one another it would seem something will give. Those players look like they are playing with fear every time they go out on the pitch, and it is not surprising with the level of abuse being chuck at the team and individuals. I am sure I wouldn't do my job particularly well every time i made a small mistake and was called *add expletive here* It would just make you nervous... or make you resent those name calling and think *add expletive here* if you wand to see s**t i'll show you s**t. There is no way by some one abusing it would make you try harder, thing just doesn't work like that.

Everyone needs to be pulling in the same direction, maybe just maybe the confidence will return to the players, they won't feel frightened of making mistakes, and we all get the football we want to see. We all know to a man, all of these players can play to the required standard when on form. No amount of abuse is going to help the joint cause of improving performances. Fear is not conducive to good performances.

I know this will fall on deaf ears to many people as there seems to be a witch hunt against the manager and many players at the moment. I guess I am just venting as some things I read on here are absolute garbage with smattering of good points for and against the current team regime manager etc.

This just about sums my commitment up too, and my Dad, and his Dad..,

same here, can't turn it on or off like a tap. Same as 4,500 others, i was there in 82 and people think that it's bad at the moment.

I'm not happy with things at the moment,but you don't just give up.

Too many sky fans in today's game, they all want instant success. Well it's not going to happen at our club. If anyone doesn't want to support the club anymore don't bother. Pick an armchair team and support them, i hear Man City will be the next big thing. Go and support them.

Archived