IGNORED

Negative Tactics

foghornred

city.gifNormally when I return from Doncaster I am disappointed to have lost 1-0 to a Sharp goal (2 of last 3 seasons)but yesterday I returned disillusioned after a 1-1 draw.

The reason for being so disillusioned is the style of football that we are playing at the moment which is so negative where the 'safe' ball is always the best ball.

Millen said that we needed the second goal but we scored our goal with our ONLY shot on target in the whole match so we were lucky to come away with a point.

There were positives James,Spence,Wilson & Albert but what gets me is the players mindset as the easy ball is played more often than not and defence is more important that attack.

Passing around the back four has cost us a few goals so far this season why don't they look forward instead of the easy ball ?

At corners why bring everyone back to defend it, JCR is no defender but he is quick so why not leave him on the half way line ?

When we get a free kick around the middle of the pitch we tend to take a short one and play on,why not get players forward and lump it in there as though we really need a goal ?

4-4-2,4-5-1,4-3-3,4-2-4 it does not matter what formation that you play if the players are afraid to play a risky ball or take on a player but play the safe ball and just be negative.

When was the last time that we saw a screamer from outside the box at Ashton gate, Is it because the players want to keep there opta stats high ?

Whatever the reason Millen should listen when we say Attack,attack,attack ! We don't mean forget defence but it it not what gets bums on seats its shots and goals !

city.gifNormally when I return from Doncaster I am disappointed to have lost 1-0 to a Sharp goal (2 of last 3 seasons)but yesterday I returned disillusioned after a 1-1 draw.

The reason for being so disillusioned is the style of football that we are playing at the moment which is so negative where the 'safe' ball is always the best ball.

Millen said that we needed the second goal but we scored our goal with our ONLY shot on target in the whole match so we were lucky to come away with a point.

There were positives James,Spence,Wilson & Albert but what gets me is the players mindset as the easy ball is played more often than not and defence is more important that attack.

Passing around the back four has cost us a few goals so far this season why don't they look forward instead of the easy ball ?

At corners why bring everyone back to defend it, JCR is no defender but he is quick so why not leave him on the half way line ?

When we get a free kick around the middle of the pitch we tend to take a short one and play on,why not get players forward and lump it in there as though we really need a goal ?

4-4-2,4-5-1,4-3-3,4-2-4 it does not matter what formation that you play if the players are afraid to play a risky ball or take on a player but play the safe ball and just be negative.

When was the last time that we saw a screamer from outside the box at Ashton gate, Is it because the players want to keep there opta stats high ?

Whatever the reason Millen should listen when we say Attack,attack,attack ! We don't mean forget defence but it it not what gets bums on seats its shots and goals !

There's nothing wrong with playing a safe ball and keeping possession as it forces the opposition to work harder to try and get the ball back.

The problem City generally have is that the movement is shite and nobody really wants the ball, except Kilkenny, and when he gets the ball he finds there isn't any movement.

Eventually we fart around so much, we give the ball back to the opposition is dangerous places (you only got to see our performance at Cardiff to witness how bad we gave the ball away)

What I'm find this season, is that we dilly and dally at the back and eventually we just toss a diagonal ball forward, and that pretty much sums up our attack.

There's nothing wrong with playing a safe ball and keeping possession as it forces the opposition to work harder to try and get the ball back.

The problem City generally have is that the movement is shite and nobody really wants the ball, except Kilkenny, and when he gets the ball he finds there isn't any movement.

Eventually we fart around so much, we give the ball back to the opposition is dangerous places (you only got to see our performance at Cardiff to witness how bad we gave the ball away)

What I'm find this season, is that we dilly and dally at the back and eventually we just toss a diagonal ball forward, and that pretty much sums up our attack.

Agree- the last bit is a particularly infuriating aspect. On top of which the diagonal ball forward is mostly headed out by big defenders for the opposition.

The problem with what you've written is that you're presuming we had any tactics at all. From what i saw, the only tactic of note we had involved elliot going and standing next to maynard to receive the long ball, which by the way is not the fault of the defenders who play them, but the midfielders who refuse to show for the ball

Spot on assessment of our style of play. No one wants the ball because no one is confident on the ball. No one makes any space or forward runs anymore so the negative pass is the only option until someone panics and lumps it long, or loses possession. Scott Murray wouldn't score goals in this team because we dont have that ball inside the full back for players to run onto..Why do our wide men run back to meet the defenders bringing the ball out of defence instead of doing what Scotty did and make a run down the line. Is it because we have no-one capable of playing the "Tinnion" pass in the side. Everyone I see at the Gate is fed up with the negative approach. My feeling is that we need to get through this season and survive in this division if we can. It will be a struggle on current form but if we can stay in this league this season, then we need a complete revamp of the club from chairman down. New impetus in the boardroom, new manager next season, and definately new players when this lot are out of contract. I get no buzz now when Saturday comes around and I've been following City for over 50 years. I've nver known the atmosphere so bad, even in the dark days of successive relegations. And please dont tell me we are only 6 points from the playoffs. Thats shortsightedness.

Archived