IGNORED

Bristol City Transfer Round Up

bcfc_Jamie

Assuming we don't sign anyone within the next hour how do you feel KM has done with his transfer business?

In:

Kilkenny

Bolasie

Taylor

Spence

McGivern

Out:

Akinde

Sproule

Hoban

Keohane

Johnson (loan)

IMO not good enough. Still looking for that commanding CB we've all been going on about for the past 2 months.

McGivern - the only left back cover we have, now the only left back we have now Maccas not fit. Back to square one.

AM role - Kilkenny? Is the attacking midfield playmaker we all hope he would be? ATM I don't think so but he's not afraid to ask for the ball and string a few passes together.

Spence - decent signing, played well at the end of last season and done alright this season so far.

Bolasie/Taylor - why have we signed them? In all honesty I don't know. Why's bolasie not getting a chance? He can't be any worse than Woolford? Taylor? Who? Might be a bit harsh on them, hope they prove me wrong.

All in all a poor transfer window.

Hope KM pulls some strings on the loan market.

To be honest, this season is all about staying in the championship. Loads of players out of contract next year, and then time for a rebuild.

Keep hold of Maynard is key to keeping us up, and the players that have come in, are as good/better than those who have left.

Its not been a great or exciting window, but to be honest it could have been alot lot worse.

To be honest, this season is all about staying in the championship. Loads of players out of contract next year, and then time for a rebuild.

Keep hold of Maynard is key to keeping us up, and the players that have come in, are as good/better than those who have left.

Its not been a great or exciting window, but to be honest it could have been alot lot worse.

is the signing of Mcgivern however welcome, going ensure we start to play non 'turgid', non hoof ball and entertaining football, I doubt it. So ok most of us agree that we will probably stay in the championship but with 21 more home games to come how many more fans will the board be prepared to lose in the pursuit of running down contracts? and more importantly what will we actually know about Millen the manager other than he has carried on the tradition of the last 6 months of GJ's mainly 'turgid' football.

Exactly right.This is clearly the strategy, and a plausible one. If only the club would admit as much I for one would respect them more.

Assuming we don't sign anyone within the next hour how do you feel KM has done with his transfer business?

In:

Kilkenny

Bolasie

Taylor

Spence

McGivern

Out:

Akinde

Sproule

Hoban

Keohane

Johnson (loan)

IMO not good enough. Still looking for that commanding CB we've all been going on about for the past 2 months.

McGivern - the only left back cover we have, now the only left back we have now Maccas not fit. Back to square one.

AM role - Kilkenny? Is the attacking midfield playmaker we all hope he would be? ATM I don't think so but he's not afraid to ask for the ball and string a few passes together.

Spence - decent signing, played well at the end of last season and done alright this season so far.

Bolasie/Taylor - why have we signed them? In all honesty I don't know. Why's bolasie not getting a chance? He can't be any worse than Woolford? Taylor? Who? Might be a bit harsh on them, hope they prove me wrong.

All in all a poor transfer window.

Hope KM pulls some strings on the loan market.

For me, they are good dealings. Will we miss any of those outgoings? I would suggest not. Commanding centre back has been brought in, i.e. McGivern who can also cover LB.

Kilkenny. Well the jury is out, but IMO a player who'll keep the ball and nuch more creative than the options we had.

Spence. Awesome.

Bolasie and Taylor are back up and part of the development squad. Give them time, and if Stead and Adomah are injured, they are the perfect replacements.

Transfer dealings- must do better.

The outs were all simple decisions.

The Ins- well Spence is reasonable on loan though hasn't looked amazing yet. Kilkenny might come good. Taylor looks a league 2 standard striker and Bolasie/McGivern haven't started so jury is out (however reviews on both sound slightly worrying).

We need someone to replace Caulker and we didn't get them. We needed someone to replace Jamie Mac- we got a loanee when someone permenant was needed.

Transfer dealings- must do better.

The outs were all simple decisions.

The Ins- well Spence is reasonable on loan though hasn't looked amazing yet. Kilkenny might come good. Taylor looks a league 2 standard striker and Bolasie/McGivern haven't started so jury is out (however reviews on both sound slightly worrying).

We need someone to replace Caulker and we didn't get them. We needed someone to replace Jamie Mac- we got a loanee when someone permenant was needed.

We've done rushed permanent before and look where that has got us ..................some good quality loans make sense until we trim the squad to more manageable levels.

At the beginning of the summer we need to bring in some defenders and playmaker type player.

A left back - desperately needed - have done since the GJ days

A centre back - always unlikely that Caulker would return.

A right back - we already had 3 right backs, but one out of favour, another not ready and another injury prone.

A playmaker - needed for a long time - although hard to find.

The rest of the positions had enough in terms of quality and numbers.

Remember we were not told that there was a small budget and although we would have to ship some out, Millen would have funds to spend.

So firstly we signed Yannick Bolasie - a bargain? possibly. One for the future? apparently so. I look forward to seeing him play. But did we need him? no. We've got enough wingers, particularly left sided. JCR and woolford already in competition for that spot.

But some rightly pointed out that he was one for the future and you can't sign players in order of how much they are needed. Fair enough, as long as we sign all those defenders.

Then we signed Kilkenny on a free. Leeds wanted to keep him, which always a good sign and finally we had a play-maker. It looks like he's not the playmaker we all wanted - very much like LJ, but play makers are hard to find at this level. So, all in all, a decent bit of business. 10 out of 10 for this signing.

Then for some reason we signed Ryan Taylor. Nothing makes sense about this signing IMO. We already had 5 strikers at the club - not many rave reviews from rotherham fans either. Of course, I will judge him when he plays for us, but we already had enough strikers. There was NO need for any more. Still at this point, no defenders.... of course, about halfway through, we had to remain patient, still lots of time.

Then we heard of interest in Andrew Taylor, which was promising, a decent young left back, but as soon as Cardiff were interested, we never had a chance - old boss + cardiff are a slightly bigger club nowadays. So Andrew Taylor goes to cardiff - at least keef is looking at decent players.

But its around this time that we are told that there arent any defenders out there - and we also start getting told by keef, that his hands are tied, we've got too many players and he's got no money to spend.... So, we've been waiting patiently for defenders... signed 3 players and suddenly we've got too many players... MAYBE WE SHOULD HAVE SIGNED PLAYERS IN ORDER OF PRIORITY AFTERALL.

Its also turns out that Millen had the chance to sign McGivern but TURNED IT DOWN - What? thought there were no defenders around keef? not only that, it confirms to me that he actually rates Macca, and does not see the importance of bringing in a left back....

so we've got no funds and are now relying on loans - So, we sign Jordan Spence. Happy days. But he played for us last season and even though he is a decent right back - it was never going to solve our problems.

So with a defence similar to one pre caulker, it was obvious (to some of us) that the defence would struggle as they did against Milwall, Watford & Norwich all at home last season.

So, we lose our first at home to Ipswich 3 nil at home and keefy "did'nt see it coming" - well some of us supporters who are supposed to know alot less could see it coming.... very worrying and quite shocking.

So, he's looking and he's telling us there arent any defenders out there.... Other teams are signing defenders, but we cannot find any.....

Fast forward and we sign McGivern. A left back who has just signed a new deal with Man City. The fact Man City have just given him a new contract says it all for me. A good signing for this season.

So we bring in 2 defenders, but they are on loan - basically, were gonna have the same problems next summer. We have also failed to bring in a centre back - but hey ho, we've got 10 wingers and strikers!! :disapointed2se:

One plus is the emergence of James Wilson - he looks like he could be the answer, but its too early to tell - I'm certainly not happy that we have to rely on a youngster, who will have bad games. Its good he will get games, but what happens if he has a bad run of games??

So, in my opinion, no matter how you dress it up, Killkenny aside, the summer transfer window could'nt have gone much worse. No permanant defenders. A defence that WILL be totally different AGAIN next season - no chance to build a defence or partnerships etc.

Kilkenny was the only good bit of business long term....

The other two signings - bearing in mind we have no money - were pointless. Either have hardly played and probabaly wont play much, as there are 6 or 7 forwards ahead of them.

Well thats my opinion up of the transfer window.....

Archived