IGNORED

Potential Signings

Murraysrightplum

we signed a striker last riaz its a wingers turn now

sorry silly me.

Should'nt question the fact we had we havent signed a centre back either......

We've got Wilson, Nytanga, Stewart and Carey...... it would'nt be right.

And its only right that were back to square one in the summer.

sorry silly me.

Should'nt question the fact we had we havent signed a centre back either......

We've got Wilson, Nytanga, Stewart and Carey...... it would'nt be right.

And its only right that were back to square one in the summer.

And Fontaine. And McGivern can play at centre half. Whether they're good enough is another question, but you can't say we don't have bodies

PS Not aimed specifically at you Riaz, but will people stop going on about "we'll be back to square one in the summer" or "we'll still have to sign players to cover these positions next season"? It's completely and utterly irrelevant in modern football as the loan system is so widely used and i don't know what everyone expected the club to do; completely shun the loan system at the expense of getting cover at left back? Why?!

PS Not aimed specifically at you Riaz, but will people stop going on about "we'll be back to square one in the summer" or "we'll still have to sign players to cover these positions next season"? It's completely and utterly irrelevant in modern football as the loan system is so widely used and i don't know what everyone expected the club to do; completely shun the loan system at the expense of getting cover at left back? Why?!

I've no problem with the loan system. But I'd like the defence sorted with some (better) permanant signings, so we aint got the same problem year on year.

We needed a right back centre back (still do) and 2 left backs in the summer... and now we'll be in the same situation next summer. not good enough.

We'll never build a strong back four with all that chopping and changing.

I've no problem with the loan system. But I'd like the defence sorted with some (better) permanant signings, so we aint got the same problem year on year.

We needed a right back centre back (still do) and 2 left backs in the summer... and now we'll be in the same situation next summer. not good enough.

We'll never build a strong back four with all that chopping and changing.

I totally agree, we'll need a lot of new players next summer but would you not rather we waited until more money was available due to a number of big, lengthy contracts expiring than just signing whoever we could afford on a permanent now? Its not like we didn't have a pop at signing some defenders on permanent deals (Jones, Taylor, McAuley) and it all seems like critcism for criticisms sake. Its not like we don't have plenty of other things to complain about....

I totally agree, we'll need a lot of new players next summer but would you not rather we waited until more money was available due to a number of big, lengthy contracts expiring than just signing whoever we could afford on a permanent now? Its not like we didn't have a pop at signing some defenders on permanent deals (Jones, Taylor, McAuley) and it all seems like critcism for criticisms sake. Its not like we don't have plenty of other things to complain about....

Well not really. I think the defence needs sorting for THIS season, otherwise we'll risk relegation - Not replacing caulker is a big mistake also IMO.

New season, same old problems.... but worse.

Well not really. I think the defence needs sorting for THIS season, otherwise we'll risk relegation - Not replacing caulker is a big mistake also IMO.

New season, same old problems.... but worse.

Wilson and Nyatanga look decent together. Spence is a good right back. If the new left back fits in I'd be pretty happy with that back 4. The trouble is injuries/suspensions could drop us in it. Are Fontaine, carey, ribeiro, macca enough to cover the back 4?

I'm more concerned with the midfield's inability to keep the ball for more than 2 seconds as giving the ball away constanly must be hampering our defence. They have so much to deal with that of course at some point we will conceed. We need Kilkenny to start dictating play and one of Elliott or Skuse to learn to pass...

Wilson and Nyatanga look decent together. Spence is a good right back. If the new left back fits in I'd be pretty happy with that back 4. The trouble is injuries/suspensions could drop us in it. Are Fontaine, carey, ribeiro, macca enough to cover the back 4?

I'm more concerned with the midfield's inability to keep the ball for more than 2 seconds as giving the ball away constanly must be hampering our defence. They have so much to deal with that of course at some point we will conceed. We need Kilkenny to start dictating play and one of Elliott or Skuse to learn to pass...

Wilson and nyatanga has started well, but We havent seen enough to know if Wilson is the answer.

Your point about retaining possession, I one agree with, but our defenders are also to blame. In the games I've seen Wilson he lumps it, as does nyatanga.

With regards to the midfield, it's a shame cisse has been disregarded. He can pass the ball a bit and do everything Elliott/Skuse can do. One thing I for sure, we can't persist with Elliott and skuse. It has never worked.

Wilson and nyatanga has started well, but We havent seen enough to know if Wilson is the answer.

Your point about retaining possession, I one agree with, but our defenders are also to blame. In the games I've seen Wilson he lumps it, as does nyatanga.

With regards to the midfield, it's a shame cisse has been disregarded. He can pass the ball a bit and do everything Elliott/Skuse can do. One thing I for sure, we can't persist with Elliott and skuse. It has never worked.

I agree that its too early to say whether Wilson is the answer, but we'll never find out if we get someone in to replace him. I've only seen the Donny game this season but for me the defence is not the problem, its the midfield. Poor positioning, no one showing for the ball which is why so many long balls are played. The current defence will be enough to keep us up, providing someone can step up in midfield. I agree that Cisse would be that person IMO, but i presume he's still in the bad books for being fat

Out of interest, was it ever confirmed whether or not we actually put in any offer on these?

Out of interest, was it ever confirmed whether or not we actually put in any offer on these?

Couldn't find you a link off hand, but definitely Jones and Taylor were mentioned in dispatches by the club and i think in the case of Taylor by Boro and/or his agent. I thought Millen had said he made an offer to McAuley?

But how do we find out? By giving him games, that's how. You can't have it both ways, criticising Millen for having loans at full back and for playing one of our own at CB.

For what it's worth whilst the squad currently includes Hunt, Ribeiro and Edwards (that's 3 RBs who don't play) plus Spence; McAllister, McGivern and Ball, (3 LBs) and Wilson, Nyatanga, Carey, Fontaine and Stewart as CBs I feel 12 defenders on our books is too many, so rather than add even more we should stick with what we have and try to get rid of several first.

But how do we find out? By giving him games, that's how. You can't have it both ways, criticising Millen for having loans at full back and for playing one of our own at CB.

I'm not say we should drop wilson necessarily. But we need to bring in a commanding defender to go alongside him.

I was watching carefully on saturday and many times the defenders (and goalkeeper) looked up for someone to play a quick short ball to and there was no one. Elliott and Skuse jogging/walking around, not looking for space, in fact not even looking at the man with the ball. Kilkenny had obviously been told to push up a bit instead of picking the ball up off the centre backs, so the only option was to lump it forward towards him/Maynard (who both can't head the ball) or the wingers which occasionally came off but not often. I would have one of Skuse/Elliott/Cisse with Kilkenny playing deep to pick the ball up off the defenders. Then either a deep lying striker (Pitman/Clarkson) or an attacking midfielder (Iniesta, Lampard, Fabregas would do) ahead of them to support Maynard. The trouble is Millen won't drop Skuse or Elliott and has it in for Cisse for some reason...

I was watching carefully on saturday and many times the defenders (and goalkeeper) looked up for someone to play a quick short ball to and there was no one. Elliott and Skuse jogging/walking around, not looking for space, in fact not even looking at the man with the ball. Kilkenny had obviously been told to push up a bit instead of picking the ball up off the centre backs, so the only option was to lump it forward towards him/Maynard (who both can't head the ball) or the wingers which occasionally came off but not often. I would have one of Skuse/Elliott/Cisse with Kilkenny playing deep to pick the ball up off the defenders. Then either a deep lying striker (Pitman/Clarkson) or an attacking midfielder (Iniesta, Lampard, Fabregas would do) ahead of them to support Maynard. The trouble is Millen won't drop Skuse or Elliott and has it in for Cisse for some reason...

Completely agree with this except i thought it was often Elliot geting forward to give them something to aim at, which implies to me that Millen has told them play like that, which in itself is utter lunacy. Agree about showing for the ball though. I though Wilson especially always looked for the short ball but it was rarely there- even though he possibly has the best long range passing ability of the back 4. Spence had more options on this front from Albert, but the irony of that is that we need him playing further up the pitch. Skuse, Killkenny and Elliot generally just stood still and as Donny pressed us quite high up the pitch, this meant there was space never being exploited by our midfield. That wouldn't have bothered me so much if they'd not been equally imobile when Donny had the ball which led to us being under the cop in the 2nd half. School boy stuff

In conclusion, Wilson good. Midfield bad

Completely agree with this except i thought it was often Elliot geting forward to give them something to aim at, which implies to me that Millen has told them play like that, which in itself is utter lunacy. Agree about showing for the ball though. I though Wilson especially always looked for the short ball but it was rarely there- even though he possibly has the best long range passing ability of the back 4. Spence had more options on this front from Albert, but the irony of that is that we need him playing further up the pitch. Skuse, Killkenny and Elliot generally just stood still and as Donny pressed us quite high up the pitch, this meant there was space never being exploited by our midfield. That wouldn't have bothered me so much if they'd not been equally imobile when Donny had the ball which led to us being under the cop in the 2nd half. School boy stuff

In conclusion, Wilson good. Midfield bad

If Elliott was told to get forward I don't know what Kilkenny was up to, he should've been dropping deep the take the pressure off the defenders. One thing I would say is that neither of the centre backs looked to bring it out from the back (spence did it a bit from right back) in the way we used to see Carey do. I think that needs to be brought in to try and create some space for our midfield, who let's face it need all the time on the ball they can get....

Archived