IGNORED

Refused Admittance?

Guest keith's tache

Guest keith's tache

What's the most unusual reason you've ever heard for being refused admittance to Ashton Gate by a steward?

I recently tried to take my fishing rod into the Atyeo stand and was denied entry on the grounds that it could be an offensive weapon. Fair play to the steward for erring on the side of caution, but could my 20ft rod really cause serious injury while stowed under my seat?

Even if I did have violent intentions, I seriously doubt whether I'd have the time to assemble the rod, much less threaten the away supporters, before I was spotted by a steward or even one of the matchday officials.

Despite my protest, the rod was confiscated and I had to claim it back after the game. Have any other fans had a similar experience? My friend, Gavin, was once turned away for trying to take in his bassoon!

Guest keith's tache

Yeah, it really is infuriating. Maybe there are different rules for different grounds? Perhaps there's a steward out there who could explain the guidelines?

I certainly won't risk any fishing in the Taff before the game on Sunday!

my grandad was not allowed to take a drink in once as the police thought he would throw it on the pitch, he must of been about 65 and was with his two grandkids of about 6 and 4!!!!!!! He was nearly refused admitance after he told them what he thought about their stupid rules and regs.

Guest keith's tache

You've certainly had more success concealing it than me then, potbelly.

I'm fully aware this would be dishonest and stewards have a very difficult job to do already, but what would be the best way to smuggle a fishing rod into a football ground?

I had a rather interesting conversation with a steward at the Millenium Stadium last year.

It was the missus' first ever football match. She packed a rucksack, and being a hot day sunny day she put in a bottle of sun cream lotion (as women do, being more prepared for all eventualities then us blokes are)

I happened to be carrying the bag in when a steward asked to search the bag.

"No problem mate". Had this happen many a time before outside grounds, just a quick look and job done. He started rooting around and I saw the usual: match programme, jumpers, keys, wallets, sunglasses, train tickets etc. He then picked out the bottle

"What's this??" he asked as if I was Osama Bin Laden himself.

[stating the obvious] "It's... uh... suncream lotion"

"Why have you got this?"

"Well, it's a sunny day, you know? Just didn't want to get burnt"

"You can't take this in. No bottles allowed. I'll have to confiscate it"

"That's an expensive bottle. You can't take it!" says the girlfriend, deciding that it was her time to chip in (wish she hadn't, she should have known that comments like that can lead to a strip search with the ol' yellow subbers marigold :P )

"I'll have to. Stadium regulations"

"Well, is there somewhere I can pick it back up after the game?" I asked, giving a worried look as if I would have my head ripped off by my girlfriend if she never saw her bottle of expensive lotion again...

He obviously thought this was too much hassle, so he looked around dodgily to see if anyone else was looking and moved closer to me... "look, put it in the bottom of the bag, don't take it out in the stadium, don't tell anyone about it, and for god's sake don't throw it at anyone, or it will be my testicles in the clamp"

Needless to say, we got away with it. Didn't throw it, and now my girlfriend is much more learned in the way of the football match routine that she doesn't take bottles anywhere :clap:

Was'nt refused entry but used to get in for free when my old man was a coach driver and I was a wee lad, a few years back city were playing away to southend and the stewards allowed us to sit in city's dugout just behind the players. The ref stopped the match to have us removed because there was over the maximum amount of players/staff allowed on the bench. That's my claim to fame anyway

Stood in the tunnel just before kick off before making our way to the dugout, stewards put us in with city fans thankfully. It was a 1-1 draw and if I remember rightly Jordan was in charge and looked at us, he must have thought who the ###### are they

Archived