IGNORED

One Up Front

The Bard

Might be a controversial one this, but one aspect of today's game that was informative was comparing McKail-Smith to Maynard. I have to say that I thought CMS was superior. Maynard may be capable of more spectacular goals, but CMS affects the game more. He is better at finding space and linking things up. This is a key aspect of playing up front on your own. When Stead came on, I was hoping to see him as the central player and Maynard off the left (it was obvious to me that we would keep 3 in the middle). I know that left of a 3 isn't Maynard'sposition, but he'd do a better job there than Pitman and allow Stead to be in the area when crosses come in. McGivern had a mixed afternoon defensively, but I thought he got forward well and delivered decent crosses that we didn't attack. Sides are finding it relatively easy to keep Maynard quiet (exception of Leicester) because he is isolated.

Might be a controversial one this, but one aspect of today's game that was informative was comparing McKail-Smith to Maynard. I have to say that I thought CMS was superior. Maynard may be capable of more spectacular goals, but CMS affects the game more. He is better at finding space and linking things up. This is a key aspect of playing up front on your own. When Stead came on, I was hoping to see him as the central player and Maynard off the left (it was obvious to me that we would keep 3 in the middle). I know that left of a 3 isn't Maynard'sposition, but he'd do a better job there than Pitman and allow Stead to be in the area when crosses come in. McGivern had a mixed afternoon defensively, but I thought he got forward well and delivered decent crosses that we didn't attack. Sides are finding it relatively easy to keep Maynard quiet (exception of Leicester) because he is isolated.

I completely agree.

Nicky's limitations aren't Nicky's fault. We have the players we have so it's up to Keith to find a system that fits.

It's bloody stupid to turn down £6.5m for a player who we're going to play (for all intents and purposes) out of position! He's not a lone-striker, it's that simple.

You have hit the nail on the head. I said to my mates before the game that if we wnat to play 4-5-1 Stead has to play up top. The only other option (to play 5 in midfield) is to play 3-5-2 which would mean leaving Adomah out , and KM obvioulsly has'nt got the bollocks to leave them out.

Formations mean nothing with the wrong players

IMO

Archived