IGNORED

Paul Tisdale ?

Harito495

millen has to be sacked first before we consider a replacement,

Its unlikely at the moment but he might turn it around and if he does fair play but I have no faith in him to do it,

Too early to talk about replacements but I would hope he is considered if teflon did go,

How about him, he is young, done brilliantly with Exeter, has never had a big budget, Is local & his team seem to play some great football !!!

Not for me thanks, i think we have tried the unproven manager at this level, i think now its time for the club to bit the bullet and appoint someone thats going to take us to the promise land or at the very least get us as a good competitive club at this level. I know people will say well the club did that with the Coppell appointment but as we all know that didnt work out and im sure everyone of us have our views on that and why it didnt work out but thats something for another discussion.

I dont want the club going for the cheap option again which imo would be the likes of Tisdale, rather than going for the Dave Jones or the Billy Davies's of this world.

I was one of us that was thinking eddie howe might of been a good appointment when GJ got the sack as he was doing very well at Bournemouth, but he is not setting the world on fire at Burnley which im pretty sure prob operate on a bigger budget than us, i really think we need one of those proven managers that can attract the players to come and work for them......imo. :)

Has anyone looked at Exeter's results this season?

But where should Exeter be in the league this season? Best players sold again and not really replaced from last season. I reckon he has them around 20 places higher in the league than their natural position at the moment. Where would Ferguson or Mourinho have that squad of players? Or to take the names in the other posts, Billy Davies or Dave Jones? There is only so far you can get without quality players and a squad barely big enough to fill a bench.

As for the comment about "the cheap option" from another poster, why does it have to be seen as the cheap option? Why not the properly considered option? Actually use some research and facts rather than going on reputation alone and recylcing the same 30 or so managers at this level who on the whole are nearly men. If DJ and BD couldnt use Cardiff and Forest sized resources to get promotion when the league was less competitive, what hope them at City?

Tisdale's record across two clubs is incredible. Unless we think on a budget of peanuts that he should be getting Exeter into the Championship, then we will never know if he can manage at this level until someone takes a chance on him. And what size club should be taking a chance on him? Not Forest, Leicester or Leeds or West Ham. But more realistically a Coventry, a Portsmouth or a Bristol City.

He's an outstanding young manager who obviously has a great deal of talent. Same as Paul Lambert was. All you can do is hope someone gives you a chance at a higher level but as the promoted teams are showing this season, as Lambert and to some extent Grayson showed last season - it doesnt suddenly become a different skillset going from League 1 to Championship. Managing a team is managing a team.

I'm still not in the Millen out camp (although my faith is wobbling). So at the moment I think we should stick with what we have. But I don't understand why any club going for a young, ambitious, clearly talented manager should be considered just "the cheap option" as if it's some kind of second choice. Tisdale is clearly a very good manager. O'driscoll the same. Just because their teams are in the relegation zone at the moment doesn't prove otherwise when you consider the facts around budgets, players lost and size of club etc.

A club of our size and current budgetary restraint probably should be looking at the lower leagues for the best talent to make the step up. Players and managers.

But where should Exeter be in the league this season? Best players sold again and not really replaced from last season. I reckon he has them around 20 places higher in the league than their natural position at the moment. Where would Ferguson or Mourinho have that squad of players? Or to take the names in the other posts, Billy Davies or Dave Jones? There is only so far you can get without quality players and a squad barely big enough to fill a bench.

As for the comment about "the cheap option" from another poster, why does it have to be seen as the cheap option? Why not the properly considered option? Actually use some research and facts rather than going on reputation alone and recylcing the same 30 or so managers at this level who on the whole are nearly men. If DJ and BD couldnt use Cardiff and Forest sized resources to get promotion when the league was less competitive, what hope them at City?

Tisdale's record across two clubs is incredible. Unless we think on a budget of peanuts that he should be getting Exeter into the Championship, then we will never know if he can manage at this level until someone takes a chance on him. And what size club should be taking a chance on him? Not Forest, Leicester or Leeds or West Ham. But more realistically a Coventry, a Portsmouth or a Bristol City.

He's an outstanding young manager who obviously has a great deal of talent. Same as Paul Lambert was. All you can do is hope someone gives you a chance at a higher level but as the promoted teams are showing this season, as Lambert and to some extent Grayson showed last season - it doesnt suddenly become a different skillset going from League 1 to Championship. Managing a team is managing a team.

I'm still not in the Millen out camp (although my faith is wobbling). So at the moment I think we should stick with what we have. But I don't understand why any club going for a young, ambitious, clearly talented manager should be considered just "the cheap option" as if it's some kind of second choice. Tisdale is clearly a very good manager. O'driscoll the same. Just because their teams are in the relegation zone at the moment doesn't prove otherwise when you consider the facts around budgets, players lost and size of club etc.

A club of our size and current budgetary restraint probably should be looking at the lower leagues for the best talent to make the step up. Players and managers.

Probably the best post I have read on here in months.

He's exactly the type of manager we should go for IMO.

Spot on - good post. It's not about the cheap option, or the expensive option. It's about the right option.

What do we as a club need right now? Is it more Millen - does he need to be given more of a chance? Is it a young, fresh manager with new ideas? Is it someone who has more experience, who's been in this position before and could turn things around?

What I'm pretty certain is we don't need a short-term option. We've had too much of that over the years, and the most usccessful managers are those who are given an opportunity to build something. Perhaps that means getting rid of Millen only one year in would be a mistake and if so we need to give him every opportunity to succeed.

But maybe there's someone out there who could have an immediate impact, get a positive reaction from the already quality players we have here, and introduce an exciting brand of football which would bring fans back.

Tisdale looks good, but I'm not sure he could do all that. And I can't think of anyone else out there at the moment who could do all that either.

Excellent post. Raises many of the questions that you'd hope the Board are asking themselves at the moment.

I'd like to see Millen leave. He was a risky appointment and it hasn't worked. The difference between him and Paul Tisdale or others mentioned in this thread and at the time of Coppell's appointment is that Tisdale, Howe, SO'D etc etc are all proven managers. They've been the boss - not just the stand-in for the boss - and proved themselves as leaders. Keith Millen had never had the opportunity to do that and in my opinion he's failed the test.

Is Tisdale the man? You'd hope that the Board are discretely running the rule over a range of potential candidates...

Much depends on their long term strategy. Are they going to push for promotion on the back of a resurgence of interest at the time of the new stadium opening?...as Reading did, and I for one assumed we were planning to do when Coppell was appointed...or are we more modest in our expectations? The former strategy arguably requires experience of promotion and top flight football...But in truth, does anyone know what the long term strategy is at the moment?

Archived