IGNORED

Biggest Game In Our History?

gater2

I'm only 17 so obviously I have never been to a bigger game than Sunday and I'm not overly hot on our club history, but I was just thinking has there been a bigger game in our history? I know about the 1909 FA cup final, but no one really cared about football then and I cant remember many other massive matches....

Also there has never been such a gap between the finances of the divisons as there is now, so that surely adds something to it. You never know if we win on sunday we could be in the premiership within a few years, but if we lose we could still be in div 2 in 10 years and you never know div 2 may not even be professional then (the way it's going....).

So is it our biggest game ever? :clap:

i think it's gotta be pretty close to it, when u consider it's the diffence between games against leeds, leicester and west ham? and games against torquay and doncaster. loads more tv money/appearances, the chance to boo tony pulis (we've all waited long enough for this :@ ), and most of all a chance for our club to prove what it really is.....

on a side note, i just noticed the banner on the top of the page - very nice. :clap:

Guest Holly7406

What about the Portsmouth Game in 1976 when we got Promoted to the Old First Division (Now The Premership) and the Coventry game in 1977 when we stayed up with a 2-2 draw? Those are surley bigger games as we were playing to get and stay in the Top Tier of English Football and not the middle Two Tiers as we have for ever been Yo Yoing between since 1980, our last season in the top division before out disastrous slump to the basement and nearly out of business.

Anfield 1994 was good.

So was the Frieght Rover trophy against Bolton at Wembley which we won 3-0.

Portmouth in 1976 was great. BTW am I right in thinking that the teams that finished 4th, 5th and 6th the previous season to City's promotion season (Sunderland, City and West Brom) finished 1st, 2nd and 3rd the following year?

Guest Holly7406

No as I wasn't born then. First time I found out about this was on Bristol City World in the Classic Matches Section. Shows when we beat Rovers Twice and Arsenal away 1-0 in the first match of Season 1976-77.

I'm only 17 so obviously I have never been to a bigger game than Sunday and I'm not overly hot on our club history, but I was just thinking has there been a bigger game in our history? I know about the 1909 FA cup final, but no one really cared about football then and I cant remember many other massive matches....

Also there has never been such a gap between the finances of the divisons as there is now, so that surely adds something to it. You never know if we win on sunday we could be in the premiership within a few years, but if we lose we could still be in div 2 in 10 years and you never know div 2 may not even be professional then (the way it's going....).

So is it our biggest game ever? :clap:

errrrrm.....NOPE.

The promotion to the old division one must rank higher.

Plus all the games in the old first division (the Cheeseley arsenal game included)

cynic, by THE coventry game i take it you mean the one we drew (2-2 or 3-3 cant remember) to stay up, and both teams were strolling about the pitch not attacking?

No-one cared about football in 1909? I think you might find there were a few thousand at the Cup Final.

(i'm 15, so sorry if i've got any facts wrong)

Guest Holly7406

Doesn't mean anything to me bcfcrobin as I wasn't alive in 1909 and Football din't mean as much and we lost a chance to win our one and only Major Trophy which as forever eluded us throughout our whole football history.

Guest maxie

Don't get carried away. This isn't the biggest game in City's history. We're only talking about promition from the old 3rd Division to the old 2nd Division, for goodness sake. We've been much higher than this in the past, and we've been on the brink of extinction ... now, those were moments to savour. Just get things into proportion

Doesn't mean anything to me bcfcrobin as I wasn't alive in 1909 and Football din't mean as much and we lost a chance to win our one and only Major Trophy which as forever eluded us throughout our whole football history.
I'm only 17 but an FA cup final is way bigger than a play off match to division 1! That is something which is never going to be forgotten but a play off final in about 100 years time will never be mentioned again.

Nobody cared about football in 1909 eh?
OK I accept that lots of people went to see it, but if you see footage of the matches everyone would just stand there and calp politely when there was a goal and wages were in single figures not thousands like today. I'm just saying that people take it a lot more seriously today.

Has to be the Portsmouth game- because without Clive Whitehead's winner Coventry and Cheese's header against Arsenal could never have happened.

This weekend is big and should hearld the way forward to more bigger days, but the Portsmouth game was so much bigger. Mind you the 1-0 away win at WBA in that season was also pretty important!

OK I accept that lots of people went to see it, but if you see footage of the matches everyone would just stand there and calp politely when there was a goal and wages were in single figures not thousands like today. I'm just saying that people take it a lot more seriously today.
:clap: Sorry you making me laugh! :clap: How do you know people clapped politely? Were you there! An FA cup final is way way way bigger then a chance of promotion win or lose.

Guest Huddersfield Red

What makes it special is the fact that it being played at the Millennium Stadium, is probably the biggest crowd we have played in front of (correct me if it's not) and it's live on the TV.

In terms of it's 'bigness' it should rank equal to the 'Wallsall Nightmare Trilogy' starring David Kelly.

I'd certainly say Portsmouth 76, Liverpool 77 & Coventry 77 were bigger.

Oh and I'd say I take it a lot less seriously than i did then!

Archived