IGNORED

Time For Plan B

Abraham Romanovich

Millen must bite the bullet and give up on his idea of playing one up front.

As far as I can make out it all started with the WBA game I said at the time our only tactic appeared to be to bore the opposition to death, I was clearly wrong as I should have included us fans.

5 home games without a goal is unacceptable so Keith take a long hard look at your Plan A realise it doesn't work and change it..

I will be there next week , but please try and win a game of football be positive from the start and let's see some ENTERTAINMENT.

As far as I can make out it all started with the WBA game I said at the time our only tactic appeared to be to bore the opposition to death, I was clearly wrong as I should have included us fans.

5 home games without a goal is cleary unacceptable so Keith take a long hard look at your Plan A realise it doesn't work and change it..

I will be there next week , but please try and win a game of football be positive from the start and let's see some ENTERTAINMENT.

I think the only plan B is to sack Millen as he sure as hell doesn't have a plan B

5 home games without a goal is unacceptable so Keith take a long hard look at your Plan A realise it doesn't work and change it..

disapointed2se.gif Tsk.

Plan A is working. I think you'll find that the stats show that we had more of the possession against Brighton, put in more good crosses and generally dominated the game. OK, we didn't score but Maynard is off his game a little and carrying a few knocks so we can't expect too much in that department.

For sure, Plan A isn't, at the moment, delivering any goals, entertainment or points, but it is working.

disapointed2se.gif Tsk.

Plan A is working. I think you'll find that the stats show that we had more of the possession against Brighton, put in more good crosses and generally dominated the game. OK, we didn't score but Maynard is off his game a little and carrying a few knocks so we can't expect too much in that department.

For sure, Plan A isn't, at the moment, delivering any goals, entertainment or points, but it is working.

fish.gif

Lets see how many bite :)

disapointed2se.gif Tsk.

Actually I think YOU will find that the stats show Brighton had 54% of the possession and in fact included the Swindon match we have failed to have more possession than the opposition at home all season, it's not working.

Ill bite.

FFS show me all the possession stats you like, I don't ******g care!! There is one stat that matters so don't try and say that this 4-5-1 at home is working - it quite clearly isn't!!!!!!!! Aaaaggggghhhh!!!!

Edit: over my head :-) but pleased it was a joke!!!

If KM plays 2 upfront next game, which he surely must, then he has to break up the midfield 3 (you would think). It would be interesting to see who gets sacrificed. Personally I would start Pitman and Maynard. I recall they worked well together after Xmas last year. It's disappointing that the partnership was allowed to fold.

KM has to go for broke and he could at least create a bit of optimism amongst the crowd if they see an attacking line up. Too often people feel uninspired before the ball is kicked.

Actually I think YOU will find that the stats show Brighton had 54% of the possession and in fact included the Swindon match we have failed to have more possession than the opposition at home all season, it's not working.

OK, I thought I was quoting Keef but in fairness to him he might not be including the times when the opposition have the ball in the possession stats quantification algorithm.

PS Are you really saying that we have had the ball less at home than the opposition?

disapointed2se.gif Tsk.

Your right, plan A is working as.......shhhhh........keep it to yourself....... unbeknown to us, Keith's plan A is to get us relegated

I thought Plan B was performing at AG next week, try something different, gamble Millen, you never know, don't study pro zone all week, don't make players do endless training drills 4-4-2, go out enjoy yourself s to the players see what happens, unlucky to lose it the last two games but losing becomes a habit, that scares me.

OK, I thought I was quoting Keef but in fairness to him he might not be including the times when the opposition have the ball in the possession stats quantification algorithm.

PS Are you really saying that we have had the ball less at home than the opposition?

That is what BCFC own stats are saying, every home game so far the opposition has had more possession including Swindon, by the way we haven't scored at home either. in fairness to him prozone was a system almost totally vilified by many on here who used it as argument against GJ and told us Millen would scrap it, WRONG, but now it's all gone quiet on that front because Millen uses it even more than GJ ever did.

4-5-1 is fine, it's how it's applied that is the problem.

Shall I list a few sides who play 4-5-1 or variants of it- e.g. 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, 4-2-1-3?

Barcelona

Bayern Munich

Borussia Dortmund

Chelsea

Man City

Man Utd (in Europe quite often though not last season and big PL games)

Inter Milan when they won the treble in 09/10.

Porto

Real Madrid

Having said all that, it's clearly not quite working at the moment- but for this I blame the manager and personnel.

4-5-1 is fine, it's how it's applied that is the problem.

Shall I list a few sides who play 4-5-1 or variants of it- e.g. 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, 4-2-1-3?

Barcelona

Bayern Munich

Borussia Dortmund

Chelsea

Man City

Man Utd (in Europe quite often though not last season and big PL games)

Inter Milan when they won the treble in 09/10.

Porto

Real Madrid

Having said all that, it's clearly not quite working at the moment- but for this I blame the manager and personnel.

So the teams that play 451 have midfields that are mobile can tackle and create. So why are we playing 451 again?

4-5-1 might work if any the 5 are likely to contribute a reasonable number of goals. Trouble is that you can add the extra striker, and our midfield and defensive frailties are exposed, don't play the extra striker and our lack of goalscorers is exposed. Personally, I would gamble and play Pitman with Maynard, as much as anything to take the pressure off Maynard.

So the teams that play 451 have midfields that are mobile can tackle and create. So why are we playing 451 again?

Im afraid many posters on the forum seem to have a fixation about the lineup we play. Each has there own idea of course...I hold level1 and 2 FA coaching badges and fundamentally you set your stall out relative to the players you have available and on form and also to the likely line up and strength of the opposition

For example its folly to play one up front when the opposition has a strong defensive line up particularly if they have two attacking wing backs who are consequently given room to move forward, and its the same if you have a team which likes to play 2 up front and three attacking in behind because you need 5 across the back or a regular CH and a utility defender like a sweeper.

451 is a really negative formation unless you have an exceptionally strong midfield which we dont. If you have 2 up front and two attacking midfielders supporting them then the opposition defence is generally kept busy allowing your wing backs to get forward into the game often with great effect.

WE HAVE the players available to play a successful 442 or even 433 formation with two fullbacks who like to get forward and should be Playing Pitman and Maynard along side each other regularly with Adomah, Elliot and Kilkenny behind them.

Such a system of play will keep the opposition occupied for long periods of the game especially if as the majority of away teams do, they play 451 or even 541

I think there might be one or two suprise changes to the team next week!

True with our current set up. However it might be more cautiously optimistic with a potential midfield of say Kilkenny, Cisse and one of Reid/Elliott/Skuse. What has happened to Cisse anyway? Thought he was one of our better mids in terms of ball retention last year...

4-5-1 might work if any the 5 are likely to contribute a reasonable number of goals. Trouble is that you can add the extra striker, and our midfield and defensive frailties are exposed, don't play the extra striker and our lack of goalscorers is exposed. Personally, I would gamble and play Pitman with Maynard, as much as anything to take the pressure off Maynard.

True, problems whichever way one looks at it. I suppose one of them could be a withdrawn striker with the other feeding clever throughballs- proivided the midfield can give adequate service.

Im afraid many posters on the forum seem to have a fixation about the lineup we play. Each has there own idea of course...I hold level1 and 2 FA coaching badges and fundamentally you set your stall out relative to the players you have available and on form and also to the likely line up and strength of the opposition

For example its folly to play one up front when the opposition has a strong defensive line up particularly if they have two attacking wing backs who are consequently given room to move forward, and its the same if you have a team which likes to play 2 up front and three attacking in behind because you need 5 across the back or a regular CH and a utility defender like a sweeper.

451 is a really negative formation unless you have an exceptionally strong midfield which we dont. If you have 2 up front and two attacking midfielders supporting them then the opposition defence is generally kept busy allowing your wing backs to get forward into the game often with great effect.

WE HAVE the players available to play a successful 442 or even 433 formation with two fullbacks who like to get forward and should be Playing Pitman and Maynard along side each other regularly with Adomah, Elliot and Kilkenny behind them.

Such a system of play will keep the opposition occupied for long periods of the game especially if as the majority of away teams do, they play 451 or even 541

I think there might be one or two suprise changes to the team next week!

Agree about players and tactics. While I think we could play 4-3-3, unconvinced about 4-4-2. Only time I've seen us play it this year was Swindon and that went poorly...Going on the front foot is one thing but if an opposition is good enough, that extra man in midfield can make a big difference and cause all sorts of problems on the btrak. Just finished watching Napoli-AC Milan and yeah the home side played on the break but caused many problems eventually winning 3-1. They seem to play a 3-6-1/3-4-3 hybrid. Attacking full backs are very important now and fortunately we have them.

dunno though, for us maybe Cisse and Kilkenny as a base with Bobby Reid behind a front 3 of Adomah, Maynard and JCR or Pitman. Something like:

Back 4

Cisse Kilkenny

Reid

Adomah Maynard Stead/Pitman/JCR

Just to be devils advocate, you could argue that while playing 451 vs Brighton and Leeds where we had a good share of possession but lacked an extra striker to make the difference. However by playing 442 we may not have had enough possession to feed the strikers. It's certainly not as simple as switching to peoples preferred formation. Millen would have been mindful that at the start of the season we were out of games before we were in them, hence the change to 5 in midfield.It's certainly a conundrum, but one he and the coaching staff are paid very well to solve.

I think we need to play 4-5-2 for our next game. If JCR can hide behind one of Hull's big lads we might just get away with it.

Do you think as the players walk past the ref at the match start that the ref counts how many players shake his hand?

This could be a spanner in your not-unrealistic works.

JCR could always do the classic hand-out-and-then-offer-it-up-to-the-nose trick?

Do you think as the players walk past the ref at the match start that the ref counts how many players shake his hand?

This could be a spanner in your not-unrealistic works.

JCR could always do the classic hand-out-and-then-offer-it-up-to-the-nose trick?

He would have to walk out holding Stead's hand for it to work.

He would have to walk out holding Stead's hand for it to work.

This could work!

How about a 4-6-2 formation (Millen likes to protect the defence).

We could get Lickle Lee on the pitch as a mascot and then get him to hide behind one of the big Hull lad's etc.

This could work!

How about a 4-6-2 formation (Millen likes to protect the defence).

We could get Lickle Lee on the pitch as a mascot and then get him to hide behind one of the big Hull lad's etc.

he's at chesterfield who have just gone a 4 match unbeaten run since he's been playing

Archived