IGNORED

Millen Out?

Port Said Red

I think you're right.

The big issue for me though is that for a variety of reasons we don't seem to have a great track record with our managerial appointments and possibly one of the reasons for this is a lack of a clear vision on our direction.

To explain the latter point look at Swansea, as an example, Martinez initiated their style of football and Sousa and Rodgers have continued it, so despite considerable change at the very top their style has remained. It also interests me that their coaches throughout, Colin Pascoe and Alan Curtis, are very much Swansea old boys who have provided the continuity.

Our recruitment of managers seems to have been haphazard, so apart from Joe Jordan (first spell), a legend in the game, hungry for success and an obvious candidate for his first managerial role and Gary Johnson, who despite his detractors on here had clearly outgrown Yeovil by the time he joined us and was an outstanding success for 3 years, we've had a lot of failures by trying the "promote from within" option (Tinnion, Millen), the " been around the block a few times" option, (Wilson, Coppell and Pulis) and the "foreign coach no-one has heard of" option (Benny).

Not to say the obvious change in styles between say, a football purist like Wilson and the agricultural stuff we were subjected to by Pulis.

The recruitment of the man who leads the football side of things should be the biggest decision at a club, not whether or not you sign this right back or not, I cannot see a coherent strategy behind what we are trying to do and until there is we won't be successful consistently.

To answer the question I haven't been asked, I'd take a long look at Karl Robinson of MK Dons if I was SL......

It's certainly the case that you would struggle to see more disparate styles to those we witnessed under Pulis or Osman and Wilson (for 3 seasons anyway) and Cooper for example. But off the field as well, the chairmanship and leadership of this club has swung widely backwards and forwards with a wide range of promises and levels of ambition. SL (easily the best of the bunch) clearly has focussed his recent activities on the new stadium and maybe he feels that the new environment will produce a clean slate which the club can start fresh from. The process, delays and apparent antipathy towards the stadium seems to almost reflect the malaise of the club in general.

I would love to think a Karl Robinson type Manager would be given the opportunity and the time to create a whole new club from top to bottom, but I know our fanbase well enough to realise that would only happen if we were winning every week while he was striving to achieve it.

I think you're right.

The big issue for me though is that for a variety of reasons we don't seem to have a great track record with our managerial appointments and possibly one of the reasons for this is a lack of a clear vision on our direction.

To explain the latter point look at Swansea, as an example, Martinez initiated their style of football and Sousa and Rodgers have continued it, so despite considerable change at the very top their style has remained. It also interests me that their coaches throughout, Colin Pascoe and Alan Curtis, are very much Swansea old boys who have provided the continuity.

Our recruitment of managers seems to have been haphazard, so apart from Joe Jordan (first spell), a legend in the game, hungry for success and an obvious candidate for his first managerial role and Gary Johnson, who despite his detractors on here had clearly outgrown Yeovil by the time he joined us and was an outstanding success for 3 years, we've had a lot of failures by trying the "promote from within" option (Tinnion, Millen), the " been around the block a few times" option, (Wilson, Coppell and Pulis) and the "foreign coach no-one has heard of" option (Benny).

Not to say the obvious change in styles between say, a football purist like Wilson and the agricultural stuff we were subjected to by Pulis.

The recruitment of the man who leads the football side of things should be the biggest decision at a club, not whether or not you sign this right back or not, I cannot see a coherent strategy behind what we are trying to do and until there is we won't be successful consistently.

To answer the question I haven't been asked, I'd take a long look at Karl Robinson of MK Dons if I was SL......

I think you are spot on about the manager being the biggest decision of the club. I bet if ManU had a bad manager, they wouldn't do so well, even with the best player

Why? If we know that Wiggles lacks what it takes to do the big job - and his inability to secure one since Southampton would back that up - and we have someone who could provide fresh ideas and has a wealth of experience at the top of the game then is it such a risk. He's not just "er..., the goalie" as you put it, but someone who believes he has the mindset to do the job and therefore - remember we're only talking about taking the reigns whilst a permanent manager is found - why not? Like you, not being bolshy, but it would be interesting to hear why you don't think he should be asked to take the reigns. So far you've given reasons that shouldn't be used to appoint him, but no reasons to not do so. To be fair until he was mentioned on this thread I hadn't really thought about him, but on a short term basis would not seem illogical.

Can't remember how the thread started but all of a sudden David James became "the obvious choice" or something similar to take on a caretaker manager role. Normally, the assistant manager would be the obvious choice for that. Our particular one has fulfilled that role at two Premier League clubs. Why the goalie is the obvious choice over our assistant manager is, to me, surprising. Why SW doesn't even get a mention as a candidate for caretaker manager is slightly baffling.

Archived