IGNORED

What He Wants To Do, What He Will Do...

Chivs

A bit of a pop psychology thread. Getting in to the depths of Millen's head. In terms of formation:

• What do you think that Millen wants to do on Saturday?
  • What will he do?
  • And, what do you want to do?

I'll start!

I think that Millen wants to continue to play 4-5-1 (although in his head it is 4-3-3). He will want to continue with the same team that started against Brighton and Leeds. All his stats, and his instinct, say that this is the best formation.

What he will do is move to 4-4-2 because he recognises that this is last chance saloon and that the fans are baying for a goal. This will torment him. 4-5-1 (really 4-3-3 but what do the fans know) is a proven formation. 4-4-2 is so old hat.

Nevertheless, to make a point he will play Carey instead of Spence and JCR-Skuse-Elliot-Albert across the middle. Again, to make a point (that doesn't need making) he will choose Pitman with Stead.

What would I do?

I'd play 4-4-2 because basically at this level it is the formation that English players are most comfortable with. I'd stick with the same back 5 as against Leeds. Yes, Spence has been poor in the last couple of games but Carey is no rightback and, if Hull have a left winger with any pace, we will be murdered on the left.

In midfield I would play Cisse in front of the back four and tell him to never be more than ten yards away from them.

I'd play Kilkenny further forward with JCR and Albert either side (and on an inspirational thought I'd perhaps switch JCR and Albert around a bit - coaches, who needs 'em).

Upfront I'd have Maynard and Stead.

What do you think?

Archived