IGNORED

Yesterday's Match

whale

Coming back to Sheffield last night (where I'm now based) I got talking to a Blackpool fan who had some interesting things to say about us and the match yesterday.

He was sat behind the goal to our right, so for any who weren't there that was behind the goal where we conceded most of our goals.

His view was that we were by far and away the better team in the first and that some of the football we played, especially the interplay involving Maynard, PItman,, Adomah and Kilkenny was some of the best they have seen at BR for some time, including last year in the premier league.

This was the first match I had been able to get to since Brighton at home and the change in the style of football (going forward) was good and for the first time in what feels like a few seasons now, I actually felt hard done by at half time but that we actually had a chance to get back in the game.

In the first half we had a few chances, Pitman's strike from the corner springs to mind immediately with what looked to be a certain goal until their keeper seemed to come from nowhere to nudge it away. Also Maynard was inches from getting on the end of a cross seconds after conceding the first.

Before we get onto the more negative aspects of yesterday, of which there are obviously plenty, the Blackpool fan said the banter was good with city fans and that he always enjoys it when we come up. He found the City fan who seemed to get kicked out hilarious and thought it was strange he was removed when it was all harmless.

Right well where to begin on the second half. I think despite Millen saying the same sort of things every single week, I'm sure I've read he was moaning about the character of this team at the moment, and that the second goal (the long free kick) sums up our team's attitude. I think if he did say that then he's bang on.

We both agreed that when that second went in the heads dropped massively and any sort of fight and pride just vanished. Carey in the first half, in my opinion, put in as much effort as I have seen a player put in for a while. He was chasing balls everywhere, bringing the ball out and playing a pass, linking up well with Adomah at times, and providing an outlet when Kilkenny wanted to switch play. However he was moved to centre back when McGivern went off and I didn't notice him as much until the end when the goals started going in for fun.

The Blackpool fan said from his point of view, he was happiest when we played the ball out left in the first half, as JCR would slow the attacks down and often just play the ball backwards and give their defence time to reshape.

He said that he didn't think our keeper was too bad despite letting in five. I said that he should have done better with the first two but he said the first one moved alot in the air (which is did as us City fans were right behind it) and the second one was just class. I did point out to him that had we scored from 40 yards out with a free kick his view would be the same as mine, to which he did agree!

He liked Albert Adomah, He thought he was our best player which surprised me a little because in the first half the Blackpool left back, I assume it was Crainey?, seemed to have his number, which forced Adomah inside more and more.

I thought Elliott had one of his worst games I have seen. I'm normally very generous to players but I can honestly not remember one pass that went to a yellow shirt yesterday. He seemed to give it away every single time and Shelvey in the midfield dominated him from start to finish.

He said that something must be wrong for our team to have conceded 5/6 in goals in the last 20 minutes of our last two games and that it could be down to fitness, concentration or both.

Anyway, not sure when the next game is I will be able to get to but hopefully that will provide a different sort of perspective on the match, I always enjoy reading and hearing other people's perspectives on our team and he seemed a genuine fan who was interested in clubs like us as opposed to the big guns they would have played host to last season.

Good to see somebody actually talk about the game rather than Millen for once. But I don't agree that city were better than blackpool in the first half, the amount of misdirected passes and lack of organisation in the midfield was horrendous, save from literally one or two moves the game was up from the start. If we do get a new manager I hope he gets rid of the majority of the team that played yesterday. Apart from three players, Carey, woolford (when he came on) and maybe adomah, the players were a disgrace and were not fit to wear a city shirt.

They bottled it and gave up, with a work rate which was appalling from the kick off, they are a bunch of cowards. To witness Maynard trotting about in a half-arsed manner was a disgrace, no wonder he got booed off the pitch.

I think they are trying to shaft millen big time. I hope a new manager comes in and shafts them, they deserve it.

Yours

Mr angry of wraxell.

I thought we were the better side first half, and we tried to keep it on the ground and passed it about well (with a couple of exceptions I grant you!

But, our achilles heels, yet again, were the lack of concentration at the back, the complete lack of leadership, and the dropping of heads when we went behind. Just like Tuesday, you could see the confidence draining out of the players.

The problem is that this has been the case for 2-3 years now and nothing has been done to address it. It's all very well KM keeping on saying that, but FFS why doesn't he do something about it. He's bought in 3 players in the summer, two of whom never play and none of whom address any of the problems we've got. That's why I think he has to go now.

I was also struck yesterday by the contrast between Millen's response to being 2 up after 70 minutes, and Holloways. We changed nothing, allowed Reading to dictate the last 20 mins with their subs etc. Yesterday, Holloways' response was to bring on straight swaps for his front two and winger, and the three of them, with fresh legs, up against what he could see was a disprited side, just ripped us apart, It was embarassing.

Great post.

Interesting about JCR as it confirms my thoughts on the left. We are unbalanced and need a natural left sided player where JCR plays. I've nothing against JCR, in fact I think he is one of our more skilful players. But he does slow the play down because he's never comfortable taking the opposition on around the outside as he knows he's going to have to use his left boot, which he doesn't trust.

Whether this is Woolford or someone else I don't know.

Incidently, a Scunny fan at work can't believe he's not getting games as he was fantastic when he played for them.

Woolford looked decent early in the second half and showed glimpses of the player he must really be. Good touch, full of running, probably unlucky to get booked. Should have done better with the ball he blasted across the face of the goal, but by that time the game was lost. On that showing alone though, I would probably start him ahead of JCR.

Yes City were the better side for much of the first half but as usual couldn't make it count in the box. The moment Blackpool scored their first (from a shot our keeper failed to hold onto - yet another deja vue moment), everyone in the ground knew the outcome.

Archived