IGNORED

20Mans Comments On Radio Bristol.

bcfcmike

"I think the manner of the 5-0 defeat at Blackpool came as a shock to the club. I think the board were planning to give Keith Millen a few more games to turn things around and I don't think they've got a succession plan in place. The current squad obviously aren't good enough because they're bottom of the table. A new manager may come in and get more from the squad but my gut feeling is there needs to be a broom that sweeps pretty thoroughly through Ashton Gate."

Imo i think he is pretty much spot on.

"I think the manner of the 5-0 defeat at Blackpool came as a shock to the club. I think the board were planning to give Keith Millen a few more games to turn things around and I don't think they've got a succession plan in place. The current squad obviously aren't good enough because they're bottom of the table. A new manager may come in and get more from the squad but my gut feeling is there needs to be a broom that sweeps pretty thoroughly through Ashton Gate."

Yep.

Very easy to say "the players let the manager down" - but millen could'nt get tactics or selection right and it did not give us a chance

But we have some VERY good players. We certainly have enough to survive - all we need is a bit of organisation defensively...

I think we need to bring in a centre back - but I'm sure we'll stay up now...

unless we do something stupid like appoint Steve McClaren or aidy bothroyd.

Disagree on multiple fronts.

Think a defeat, any defeat, at Blackpool would have probably spelt the end. Coming hot on the heels of the Reading catastrophe, billed as a fixture of great importance and with an International break looming, the manner was incosequential in my opinion.

I also don't agree about the squad.

To say that we don't have a good enough squad is to suggest that a spine of Fontaine, Wilson, Killkenny, Cisse, Pitman and Maynard is relegation material, which is clearly absolute nonsense.

There is always players you're looking to move on, that is the ever evolving nature of a football squad. But with Millen gone we immediately, one would assume, have a new central midfield signing in Cisse and a new centre half in Stewart.

A new manager, clean slate, reinvigorated players, this squad is capable of mid table without doubt.

Very easy to say "the players let the manager down" - but millen could'nt get tactics or selection right and it did not give us a chance

But we have some VERY good players. We certainly have enough to survive - all we need is a bit of organisation defensively...

I think we need to bring in a centre back - but I'm sure we'll stay up now...

unless we do something stupid like appoint Steve McClaren of aidy bothroyd.

That name is worse than Jan Vennegor of Hessilink.....

i tend to agree with geff too! i dont think we can judge any new manager properly now until the summer. at least this summer we can have quite a good clearout with quite a few out of contract leaving more funds available for new signings - think thats where milly was a bit out of luck to be honest! either way though the board need to get behind this new bloke and really push to improve the squad with new signings. i think the back four has the ability to be a strong defense however i think it needs re-organsing and a bit more leadership. personally i think carey is the man for the job when playing centre back as hes great at keeping the back four in line and individuals seem more confident with carey there leading them. but i think tactically this year we've got it all wrong, we've seen this squad can play good football (maybe not this season but we have seen it!) - now i think its a case of they need someone to come in and motivate and build confidence within the squad.

He's a journo so he'll read the forum.

He's only saying what eveyone else knows.

Not sure if I have faith in the board if they were shocked at this weekends result.

Hope I'm proved wrong.

Well, by the look of this thread your 'everyone else knows' remark is wide of the mark.

I for one disagree; this squad is good enough and in actual fact our previous manager said so himself on many occasions even suggesting at the outset our aim was promotion. Disingenuous for him to say that or a liar?

just shows what a good job johnson did with a poor set of players....

With the right motivation and correct tactics we can win at Ashton Gate, which has been our failing,

who ever is in charge can start with not playing Carey or Skuse at Right back not playing Skuse with elliot and not playing pitman left wing

Disagree on multiple fronts.

Think a defeat, any defeat, at Blackpool would have probably spelt the end. Coming hot on the heels of the Reading catastrophe, billed as a fixture of great importance and with an International break looming, the manner was incosequential in my opinion.

I also don't agree about the squad.

To say that we don't have a good enough squad is to suggest that a spine of Fontaine, Wilson, Killkenny, Cisse, Pitman and Maynard is relegation material, which is clearly absolute nonsense.

There is always players you're looking to move on, that is the ever evolving nature of a football squad. But with Millen gone we immediately, one would assume, have a new central midfield signing in Cisse and a new centre half in Stewart.

A new manager, clean slate, reinvigorated players, this squad is capable of mid table without doubt.

Spot on - the current squad is perfectly good enough, with the addition of a decent manager and a decent centre half, of finishing mid-table.

We are bottom of the league because we had the worst manager in the Championship, not the worst team.

No doubt Millen was in way above his head and had to go but the players didnt help him one jot. Some of the defending and lack of effort and personal pride was shameful at Blackpool.

No effort to close players down or mark up is just damn right unprofessional :disapointed2se:

While I do agree with that point Richard Latham said the same thing in this weekend's independent sports paper, and unfortunately quoted Tiny Penis in doing so.

The man with that 'right attitude' who almost got us relegated to division four.

This squad is more than capable of a top 10 finish. A new goalkeeper and CB (leader) and I'd expect us to challange. However, at the moment, with the squad we have I fully expect us to be safe with 5 or 6 games to go under the right guidance.

How bad James has been this season is quite alarming! But I still kind of hope he's still good enough!

Stewart could come through and be that leader at the back, with cisse suring up the midfield. These three were excellent players at this level not that long ago! James may be past it but the other two certainly shouldn't be!

How bad James has been this season is quite alarming! But I still kind of hope he's still good enough!

Stewart could come through and be that leader at the back, with cisse suring up the midfield. These three were excellent players at this level not that long ago! James may be past it but the other two certainly shouldn't be!

Funny how players standing seems to improve when they're out of the side in proportion to how desperate we are.

Stewart was/is an OK first ball winner and is ok in the air when we're up against a Jon 'Beast' Parkin type CF - but he can't turn and anything played down the side

or in behind and he struggles. CF's like Chopra & Phillips destroy him with their movement.

Cisse is solid , holds the shape and covers but is inconsistent, and his passing is average (not as god as Kilkenny).

Someone even suggested in another post that Hunt should return

I'm not saying Cisse and Stewart don't have a part to play under a new manager but I don't think they are the saviours who will keep us up.

James was a stupid egocentric piece if interferring by Lansdown that has backfired with the terms of his contract making it very difficult to

get rid of him as I believe (mentioned on RB by a regular caller who seemed in the know) that his deal this year contains yet another option for him to carry on another year if he makes a defined number of appearances.

Where once we were strong in the GK dept with Basso & Weale with Henderson coming through we have somehow contrived

to allow all three to leave and be left with an one expensive error prone keeper, plus one not so expensive error prone keeper and a very young acadamy lad.

We'll end up buying a GK when James finally goes - work that one out.

CR

James was a stupid egocentric piece if interferring by Lansdown that has backfired with the terms of his contract making it very difficult to

get rid of him as I believe (mentioned on RB by a regular caller who seemed in the know) that his deal this year contains yet another option for him to carry on another year if he makes a defined number of appearances.

Please, please please let this be a joke. James will be approaching 50 soon.

Funny how players standing seems to improve when they're out of the side in proportion to how desperate we are.

Stewart was/is an OK first ball winner and is ok in the air when we're up against a Jon 'Beast' Parkin type CF - but he can't turn and anything played down the side

or in behind and he struggles. CF's like Chopra & Phillips destroy him with their movement.

Cisse is solid , holds the shape and covers but is inconsistent, and his passing is average (not as god as Kilkenny).

Someone even suggested in another post that Hunt should return

I'm not saying Cisse and Stewart don't have a part to play under a new manager but I don't think they are the saviours who will keep us up.

Where once we were strong in the GK dept with Basso & Weale with Henderson coming through we have somehow contrived

to allow all three to leave and be left with an one expensive error prone keeper, plus one not so expensive error prone keeper and a very young acadamy lad.

We'll end up buying a GK when James finally goes - work that one out.

CR

It really beggars belief that a club which once had a surfeit of quality keepers.......now ends up with a "past his sell by date" and a small pickled cucumber pair of keepers, this in a nutshell defines the management of our club? As for Stewart.........he can head and tackle.......but he makes a sloth look speedy & needs a garage forecourt for a turning space!

Ship out the deadwood a soon as is possible.

Hate to disagree, but this team simply aint good enough, there is a spine, but there are way too many wasters, losers, boozers wannabees,whenwes and ****** posers in the squad. They need shifting out before we can make any kind of challenge, which will take a couple of seasons, with a new man in charge.

There has been an almost total castigation of Johnson, Skuse, Mcallister, James over the last few months, which ignores Gerkin, Elliott, JCR, Woolford, Fotaine, Carey, Nyatanga & Maynard who are just as much at fault as those others.

The remaing players would make a spine up, but need significant new blood to make a challenge

Archived