IGNORED

What Is A Risk?

The Bard

I'm becoming increasingly annoyed at the use of this in the discussions about our managerial candidates.

Whoever we appoint will be a risk, it will be risky. It might be a risk worth taking it might not. There is no way of calculating the level of risk each potential new manager would present. Some seem to think that certain managers guarantee results. They don't.

I'm a bit concerned about the process of appointing this person. Will we just pick a candidate like we did with Coppell?

I sincerely hope we interview 3 or 4 candidates and that the decision is made with a mind to whether someone will fit the club's ongoing way of doing things. Much has been made recently about the need to buy players who will add value. Players who we can anticipate improving over the next year or so and being assets that could be sold on. Do we want a manager who is used to having greater resources like Davies, Jones or McClaren or would it be more advisable to go for someone who is likely to improve our current lot and spot a few hidden gems from Leagues 1 and 2 and the SPL?

Personally, I prefer the promising option rather than the proven one. Not someone with limited managerial experience, but someone with the profile of Eddie Howe or Paul Lambert before they got their current jobs. We have 36 games left and need 48 points in them. We have to play like a mid table side for the rest of the season to stay up. A manager with a tried and tested philosophy is needed. Football is moving towards a more intelligent breed of manager. The football played by sides like Swansea, Norwich and Brighton is technical and requires players with good brains and confidence. It is based on fairly advanced teamwork that is only achieved with intelligence both on the part of the manager and the players themselves.

Tisdale seems to me to be a good choice. He's been at Exeter for 5 seasons and has taken them as far as could reasonably be expected. Previously he managed Team Bath for 5 seasons. He appears intelligent, unfussy and handles himself well, with little ego. He's achieved 5 promotions in 11 seasons as a manager. He is in his 3rd year in League one so knows the kind of players we are in the market for. They haven't had a sparkiling start to the season, but if he stayed there I bet they'd stay up comfortably enough. He'd also ensure we'd stay way below the media's radar which is no bad thing.

One potential bonus of appointing him could be that David James would probably apply for the vacancy he left..... Could save us a few quid and let us snap up an experienced keepr on loan who is kicking his heels not getting a game in the Premier League.

I agree, every appointment carries a risk, but I think it's about minimising that risk. The risks of promoting someone from lower league carrys more risk than a proven npc manager IMO.For every Howe / Lambert there are 4 or 5 KM's, Mark Coopers, Paul Buckles etcThis appointment needs to reshape the club over the course of his tenure, that to me means experience and contacts, that's why I would go for a man who has been there, done it.

I agree, every appointment carries a risk, but I think it's about minimising that risk. The risks of promoting someone from lower league carrys more risk than a proven npc manager IMO.For every Howe / Lambert there are 4 or 5 KM's, Mark Coopers, Paul Buckles etcThis appointment needs to reshape the club over the course of his tenure, that to me means experience and contacts, that's why I would go for a man who has been there, done it.

I don't agree that the risk of appointing someone who has done it before minimises risk. You could just as easily say that for every Billy Davies, there is a Glenn Hoddle. The important thing is to find a manager that fits the club. Trying to fit the club to the manager is for me the bigger risk.

That's why Im all for the lower profile candidate with established talent and a record of over-achieving on a limited budget. Tisdale or McInnes would both be fine with me.

Please excuse me if i am wrong but this whole Tisdale want is a complete load of rubbish, why are we wanting someone who is from Exeter, WE ARE BRISTOL CITY not exterter, wake up!!!

On the Man Utd teletext forum before appointing Alex Ferguson: "We are Man Utd not Aberdeen"

On the Norwich Forum before appointing Paul Lambert: "We are Norwich. We were playing Bayern in Europe not too long ago. Now we are appointing the Colchester manager. Wake up! Sack the board! We need a big name!"

On the Porto Forum before appointing Andre Villas Boas: "Estamos Porto. Ganhamos a Europa menos seis anos atrás. Agora estamos nomeação de um filho de Academica. são uma piada!"

On the Arsenal Forum before appointing Arsene Wegner: "Some guy from Japan??? Are you having a laugh. We're Arsenal! How good can he be if he has to manage in Japan. He cant even get a job in france."

You get the point. Everyone starts somewhere. The people wanting Tisdale, McInnes or even Robinson are not living in cloud-cuckoo land. They are just prioritising talent over experience. The point being I think that they want someone with potential to come in and fulfill our potential.

On the Man Utd teletext forum before appointing Alex Ferguson: "We are Man Utd not Aberdeen"

On the Norwich Forum before appointing Paul Lambert: "We are Norwich. We were playing Bayern in Europe not too long ago. Now we are appointing the Colchester manager. Wake up! Sack the board! We need a big name!"

On the Porto Forum before appointing Andre Villas Boas: "Estamos Porto. Ganhamos a Europa menos seis anos atrás. Agora estamos nomeação de um filho de Academica. são uma piada!"

On the Arsenal Forum before appointing Arsene Wegner: "Some guy from Japan??? Are you having a laugh. We're Arsenal! How good can he be if he has to manage in Japan. He cant even get a job in france."

You get the point. Everyone starts somewhere. The people wanting Tisdale, McInnes or even Robinson are not living in cloud-cuckoo land. They are just prioritising talent over experience. The point being I think that they want someone with potential to come in and fulfill our potential.

Well said that man.

And to be honest, I don't even think we're that much bigger than Exeter City anyway. We're only one division above!

<br />I don't agree that the risk of appointing someone who has done it before minimises risk. You could just as easily say that for every Billy Davies, there is a Glenn Hoddle. The important thing is to find a manager that fits the club. Trying to fit the club to the manager is for me the bigger risk. <br />That's why Im all for the lower profile candidate with established talent and a record of over-achieving on a limited budget. Tisdale or McInnes would both be fine with me.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I know what your saying, but for example, one of the risks of a young manager coming in his gaining the respect of the players instantly. We have some big characters at our club and rightly or wrongly they hold a lot of sway in the dressing room. A young inexperienced manager may have his boundrys tested and may take a while to get the respect of the players. A Dave Jones or Billy Davies walks in and I think the players would have more respect from the off. Of course there are occurrences where this has not been the case, but the risks of this is lessened by going for a been there done that manager. This is just example of the risks associated with bringing in a new man and I firmly believe that an experienced (& obviously good) manager will carry less risk of this appointment going pear shaped. We shall see

Archived