IGNORED

Sky Tv Money

NOTR

What will this mean for the smaller prem clubs like Wigan,who's very existance relies on the tv money.Will Sky still pay millions for the rights if your local can buy a cheap dish and show the footie for one tenth of the cost.

As much as i dislike Sky and the damage that they have done to the game we all love (with the ridiculous money). This could be very bad for football.

The fact is, Sky have already done the damage and clubs, along with players and their contracts all live within their means. (well actually they don't! and this will only mean bigger losses!)

This has horrible similarities to the face that was ITV digial. Their collapse cause huge problems after lower league clubs budgeted with the pending income that never materialised.

I'm sure that most people are aware of this, although many are still shocked when I tell them, that pubs have to pay £900 - £1400 PER MONTH to subscribe to sky and any option of a legal, cheaper alternative, will attract many places to cancel their Sky subscriptions.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for Sky, but my concern lies with the subsequent reduction in the money that they pump into the game and the devestating effect that it will have on many clubs throughout the land.

The other BIG problem will be that "foreign" satallite systems will show live football at 3pm on a Saturday (something the Sky were never allowed to do for fear of affecting attendances at live football) with this now possible, it could/will be yet another big blow to lower league clubs and should NEVER be allowed under any circumstances.

Having said all that (as a football fan), my publican head is pleased that there is something that for once has ruled in the favour of pubs!

It will be worryingly interesing to see what the fallout of this ruling will be.

I hope it means that players wages are cut but i fear they will just increase prices for everyone else

Wigans prices are quite resonable I think as are some of the other smaller clubs,but your'e probably right.Thier fans could be in for a nasty shock.

As much as i dislike Sky and the damage that they have done to the game we all love (with the ridiculous money). This could be very bad for football.

The fact is, Sky have already done the damage and clubs, along with players and their contracts all live within their means. (well actually they don't! and this will only mean bigger losses!)

This has horrible similarities to the face that was ITV digial. Their collapse cause huge problems after lower league clubs budgeted with the pending income that never materialised.

I'm sure that most people are aware of this, although many are still shocked when I tell them, that pubs have to pay £900 - £1400 PER MONTH to subscribe to sky and any option of a legal, cheaper alternative, will attract many places to cancel their Sky subscriptions.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for Sky, but my concern lies with the subsequent reduction in the money that they pump into the game and the devestating effect that it will have on many clubs throughout the land.

The other BIG problem will be that "foreign" satallite systems will show live football at 3pm on a Saturday (something the Sky were never allowed to do for fear of affecting attendances at live football) with this now possible, it could/will be yet another big blow to lower league clubs and should NEVER be allowed under any circumstances.

Having said all that (as a football fan), my publican head is pleased that there is something that for once has ruled in the favour of pubs!

It will be worryingly interesing to see what the fallout of this ruling will be.

Yes all a bit worrying as a lot of lower league clubs also count on this money,part time third and fourth divisions perhaps.

Surly sky will just stop selling the games to other european companies so there would no more coverage on european satallite systems

Surly sky will just stop selling the games to other european companies so there would no more coverage on european satallite systems

Most of these satalite systems, show games that sky are not. So I assume they get the rights to screen them from the PL not from Sky.

The drawbacks to the cheaper "foreign" systems are that commentry is sually in a foreign language and they do not show very much, if any coverage of other divisions, so When City are shown live, for example, these systems would not pick up those games.

The systems will be no good for major sports pubs where the viewing audience require commentry etc, but will certainly be a good, cheaper alternative for your smaller boozer that can screen games without the sound.

Surely the main issue is that prem games, potentially, will be screened live at the same time that loads of other league games are going on thereby making it easier for people not to bother actually going to a match. I believe attendances at games on chumpions league nights are already suffering. This I believe is a more worrying concern.

Surely the main issue is that prem games, potentially, will be screened live at the same time that loads of other league games are going on thereby making it easier for people not to bother actually going to a match. I believe attendances at games on chumpions league nights are already suffering. This I believe is a more worrying concern.

Clubs might then charge their fans a better price for entry.

Sky currently turnover about £6.5bn. The Prem makes about £600m off TV, the majority from Sky.

The estimate is that it will cost Sky £70m a year of revenue. That's a relatively small number, the reality of this is that if it goes through it will be a bargaining chip for keeping the increase in the cost of TV rights down a bit in 2013.

It will have no impact on the finances of football clubs and little on Sky and it'll be great for pubs.

Going by the comments of the Chelsea chairman today, I don't think clubs are that bothered. The next 10 years will be all about digital media, a much richer goldmine.

What is this digital media you talk about.

Individual Internet deals. For chelsea they'd love to be able to stream live matches to your phone/pc/"wristwatch", for a subscription fee of course. Potentially the market could dwarf the sky deal.

Oh I see, though to be honest most of the new tech goes right over my head.

Archived