IGNORED

Where Has The Mcinnes Speculation Come From?

screech

This is a really odd one, I had personally never heard of the guy and I doubt 90% of this forum had either until about a week ago, other than he was once linked with the WBA job.

So why him now, and where does this speculation stem from, is it just an idea from someone which has blown up, does it come from Scotland, a friend of the man, a friend of our board, a St Johnstone player? Just curious to know why this guy is getting so many mentions when lets be fair, nobody genuinely knows much about the guy other than what they have picked up from wikipedia.

Basically, there was a sudden drop in the odds for him to be our next manager, presumably following money that was placed on him by someone/a group of people up in Scotland with the knowledge that he had applied for the job, or that he was interested in the position. I don't think it would have taken a large amount of money to make his odds significantly drop because I don't tink there would have been a large number of people betting on our next manager in the first place. Anyway, following the sudden drop in odds, Sky sports reported that he was 'a leading candidate' for the position, and St.Johnstone quickly issued a statement saying that they wouldn't block him from becoming our next manager should we approach and pay the appropriate compensation. So basically, he's probably applied for the job, it's been leaked to the press, and now it's a case of people hearing about it, seeing that he's got a decent managerial record, adding that to the fact that Scottish managers have a good recent record in the English leagues, and bingo, he's on everybody's wishlist.

As Del is under contract to Saints, it is very doubtful he applied for the job. Although you may not have heard of him, he is very highly rated on both sides of the border and has many contacts in the game. He is usually linked to any vacant championship jobs, so no surprise that he is linked with this one. So just because some Bristol City fans may not have heard of him, doesn't mean "no-one" has. As for Scottish managers having a good "recent" record in England, this is true if by "recent" you mean going back to Sir Matt Busby.

You're missing the point - Scottish managers good record in England can hardly be desribed as "recent", it's been going on for the best part of 60 years.

Yet in the same time, their football leagues and national side have remained sh*te.

PS - There are a heap of crap Scottish managers too who failed in England,

Yet in the same time, their football leagues and national side have remained sh*te.

PS - There are a heap of crap Scottish managers too who failed in England,

Well thought out reply. I really hope that your board are as insular in their thinking as your good self. That way we can keep Del for the time being. We're in no hurry to lose such a good manager. The fact is that he will continue to be linked with vacancies in England - including with bigger clubs than yours. From a fans' point of view I hope that he stays here - from a realistic point of view, he will move on. If it's not to BCFC then you may look back one day and say "what if?"

Well thought out reply. I really hope that your board are as insular in their thinking as your good self. That way we can keep Del for the time being. We're in no hurry to lose such a good manager. The fact is that he will continue to be linked with vacancies in England - including with bigger clubs than yours. From a fans' point of view I hope that he stays here - from a realistic point of view, he will move on. If it's not to BCFC then you may look back one day and say "what if?"

Inclined to agree, we have a very good record of appointing your sterotypical English manager...Pulis instead of Moyes for God sake, not forgeting a whole host of others.

Would this club have appointed Lambert, Poyet, Martinez or Rodgers.....I doubt it. I happen to agree that McInnes from the British managers avilable is the hungry up and coming manager that we despertaly need who has obviously had to use his ability as a coach, not havign the luxuary of buying success. If I step into dream land for a moment I would go for Zola purely for the hype and lift it woud give the club and the contiental approach I think we need, but back in the room, McInees looks to play attractive football and I dont care what anyone says coaching the Super Js to a win at Celtic Park is no mean feet whatever your view on the merits of football north of the border and I sincerely don't mean to cause offence with that comment.

Surely nationality has nothing to do with anything. We have had a couple of Scots at Reading. Mark Mcghee was superb but did nothing after leaving the club, had no experience of managing when taken on. Tommy Burns, experienced in Scottish football, a complete failure but re-built his career back in Scotland. Employing from within the club sometimes works, McDermott has done well for us since taking over when we were in the same position as you.

Big names? How well has Paul Ince done? Unknowns? How well has Nigel Adkins done?

It`s a complete lottery, I hope you get a winning ticket!!!

Haha, anyone who leaves their back open here gets instantly jumped. I didn't say it was my mindset, but it is of many. ''Scottish managers have done well lets try that'' I agree is a ridiculous way to think, but I was saying that that may have factored into the speculation around McInnes. Neither did I suggest that Scottish managers have only done well recently, it's just that when thinking about the Scottish managers doing well, people will think ''Oh Paul Lambert took Norwich up'', they'll use recent examples not ''Oh look how well Matt Busby did''. I was trying to answer the OPs question, I wasn't giving my own opinion on who should be appointed, or making sweeping judgements about the Scottish.

Archived