fka dagest

From a cursory reading of the forum over the last few days the fans don't want:

Dave Jones

Billy Davies

Mark Robins

Derek McInnes

etc

etc

To be honest I'm finding the forum a pain in the arse to read right now.

Everyone has their own favourite who they want to see installed. Chances are most will end up disappointed as their man won't get it. However, from my own experience of following football it'll be hard to tell who ends up being successful or crap and it's certainly not something I'd be bold enough to make a strong prediction about.

Recent history in Championship has shown that various managers will be failures and successes at different clubs. Paolo Sousa and Brendan Rogers spring to mind. And even Steve Coppell - who was unhappy about that appointment? I actually thought, back in the summer, that Millen would be giving us a shout in the play-offs, which just goes to show what I knew.

My point is, for all those who are saying we don't want this guy or that guy etc,, you're wasting your time slating various prospective managers. Why not save your energy for supporting the new guy when he arrives? As fans we can begin a new era with a positive mindset or a negative one. We're in deep shite and we really need the fans to show some meansure of support and patience when the new guy arrives to sort out the mess.

Let the Board make their appointment, see you Saturday in positive mood and back the new manager. It's our best chance of staying up.

The manager is the most important person in the club so please don't compromise or take the easy option.

Who ever comes in must be allowed to make up his ownback room team and not have the current lot foisted upon him,if they are part of the problem they are going to undermine any new plans at every opportunity.

Avoid David Jones like the plague, with the team Cardiff had automatic promotion should have been a certainty.

I I want Del Boy Mcinnes purely as he represents the future we would certainly be taking a risk but if he is good as people say

that would be minimal .

Some people aren't saying they don't want certain managers but rather that they aren't going to be instilled with confidence if it's a small name manager because they've seen that for the last god knows how long and it's almost always the same story.

Gary Johnson was the best manager I'd seen at the helm but there came a point where he couldn't lead the club forward any more and hence I like many lost confidence in him. That said, if I had been told that Keith Millen would have gone on to be the manager then I would have been happy to see him stay. He may have lost his way a little but he did more for this club than most have. When he signed to be our manager I was excited to see what he could do, I don't feel any excitement about any of the realistic targets being discussed and I can't see any of them doing anything to make this club interesting again.

Until we have a clean slate (new manager, with his own staff and some freedom with what he does) I can't see me getting excited about this club and if that makes me a bad fan then so be it, but anyone who says I'm not entitled to expect more from this club can keep their opinion to themselves for a few reasons:

1) Ticket Prices - £25 a ticket for me to watch Bristol City, if I go to watch Chelsea it's £20-23... REALLY?! What's better value, watching a club with players such as Drogba, Terry, Torres, Lampard, Cole, Essien etc for £23 or watching David James, Nicky Maynard, Elliot, Adomah etc for £2 more? If we sold tickets cheaper we may actually fill the stadium, which in turn creates a better atmosphere, which in turn gives the players the feeling that they are being driven on by the fans. At the moment we're averaging about 11k fans at home when our stadium holds 21497 according to the official site. If that's the case then why can't we drop our ticket prices down to £18? I'm sure a lot more people would pay £15-18 to watch Bristol City than £25, I know I would. You may think this is a cheap attitude but £7-10 difference in price means I'd probably only spend £25 as a whole for the game which means it becomes a better price and therefore better value. That'll help put bums on seats too meaning bigger crowds to get behind the team.

2) Shirts - I picked up a Chelsea shirt for £15 this season when they went on sale for a short period of time and then paid £10 to get my name and number on the back (for those wondering why I bought it, I like the shirt and it was good for football training). Last season I couldn't even get a home kit because they didn't cater for my size until mid season, pretty useless to think that none of our fans are bigger than an XL that in slim fit sizes is only an L. To add to it getting my name and number on the shirt would have set me back more than if I had bought a full price Chelsea shirt. This seems to be the same for most things in the shop, it's all over priced and makes me think "I'm already paying more for my ticket than I would for Premier League football, why would I spend too much in here too".

The above two points are very relevant too when you consider this club is losing money at a rapid pace, lowering prices would stop the club from pricing out it's own fans who put other priorities before a game of football.

3) Ambition - I don't see it. people can argue that we have a lot of ambition because we want a new stadium but to put it bluntly, that stadium isn't just for this football club, it's part of a business plan to make more money to stop us losing so much. If we get that new stadium it won't raise our transfer budget, it won't change the appointing of small time managers, it'll just lower our debts via it becoming a place to host events. We don't need the extra 9k seats either as we only half fill the current stadium. This to me is not an indication of ambition but rather a desire to stop losing money. Ambition is shown through desire to succeed and I don't see that from our board when they are not talking to any managers who would light a fire in this club again. The same with the players, where is the ambition if they're all happy to just turn up and pick up a cheque. There is very little fight on that field and it shows when we're bottom of the league. Until I see the board showing some passion rather than the same old re-used lines I'll see this club as something that is just going through the motions, hell that could be our new club slogan "we're going through the motions".

Now you can say I'm a bad fan for not jumping about, prancing and dancing, praising the club and cheering on the team no matter what but to me a bad fan lives in denial of what is going on when the s*** has really hit the fan. I think of it as tough love, this club needs to be told it's not good enough and that we need to stop sitting in the 80's/90's and get with the times and be a little more adventurous than we currently are.

3) The players - When I see Chelsea on TV I often think they're over paid but

Some people aren't saying they don't want certain managers but rather that they aren't going to be instilled with confidence if it's a small name manager because they've seen that for the last god knows how long and it's almost always the same story.

Gary Johnson was the best manager I'd seen at the helm but there came a point where he couldn't lead the club forward any more and hence I like many lost confidence in him. That said, if I had been told that Keith Millen would have gone on to be the manager then I would have been happy to see him stay. He may have lost his way a little but he did more for this club than most have. When he signed to be our manager I was excited to see what he could do, I don't feel any excitement about any of the realistic targets being discussed and I can't see any of them doing anything to make this club interesting again.

Until we have a clean slate (new manager, with his own staff and some freedom with what he does) I can't see me getting excited about this club and if that makes me a bad fan then so be it, but anyone who says I'm not entitled to expect more from this club can keep their opinion to themselves for a few reasons:

1) Ticket Prices - £25 a ticket for me to watch Bristol City, if I go to watch Chelsea it's £20-23... REALLY?! What's better value, watching a club with players such as Drogba, Terry, Torres, Lampard, Cole, Essien etc for £23 or watching David James, Nicky Maynard, Elliot, Adomah etc for £2 more? If we sold tickets cheaper we may actually fill the stadium, which in turn creates a better atmosphere, which in turn gives the players the feeling that they are being driven on by the fans. At the moment we're averaging about 11k fans at home when our stadium holds 21497 according to the official site. If that's the case then why can't we drop our ticket prices down to £18? I'm sure a lot more people would pay £15-18 to watch Bristol City than £25, I know I would. You may think this is a cheap attitude but £7-10 difference in price means I'd probably only spend £25 as a whole for the game which means it becomes a better price and therefore better value. That'll help put bums on seats too meaning bigger crowds to get behind the team.

2) Shirts - I picked up a Chelsea shirt for £15 this season when they went on sale for a short period of time and then paid £10 to get my name and number on the back (for those wondering why I bought it, I like the shirt and it was good for football training). Last season I couldn't even get a home kit because they didn't cater for my size until mid season, pretty useless to think that none of our fans are bigger than an XL that in slim fit sizes is only an L. To add to it getting my name and number on the shirt would have set me back more than if I had bought a full price Chelsea shirt. This seems to be the same for most things in the shop, it's all over priced and makes me think "I'm already paying more for my ticket than I would for Premier League football, why would I spend too much in here too".

The above two points are very relevant too when you consider this club is losing money at a rapid pace, lowering prices would stop the club from pricing out it's own fans who put other priorities before a game of football.

3) Ambition - I don't see it. people can argue that we have a lot of ambition because we want a new stadium but to put it bluntly, that stadium isn't just for this football club, it's part of a business plan to make more money to stop us losing so much. If we get that new stadium it won't raise our transfer budget, it won't change the appointing of small time managers, it'll just lower our debts via it becoming a place to host events. We don't need the extra 9k seats either as we only half fill the current stadium. This to me is not an indication of ambition but rather a desire to stop losing money. Ambition is shown through desire to succeed and I don't see that from our board when they are not talking to any managers who would light a fire in this club again. The same with the players, where is the ambition if they're all happy to just turn up and pick up a cheque. There is very little fight on that field and it shows when we're bottom of the league. Until I see the board showing some passion rather than the same old re-used lines I'll see this club as something that is just going through the motions, hell that could be our new club slogan "we're going through the motions".

Now you can say I'm a bad fan for not jumping about, prancing and dancing, praising the club and cheering on the team no matter what but to me a bad fan lives in denial of what is going on when the s*** has really hit the fan. I think of it as tough love, this club needs to be told it's not good enough and that we need to stop sitting in the 80's/90's and get with the times and be a little more adventurous than we currently are.

Go and watch Chelsea then

Not that I want anyone to leave the Bristol City family but it sounds like you have already left - here is a new forum for you, good luck http://forums.cfcnet.co.uk/

I think your dreaming if you can go and watch Chelsea for twenty quid , my mates a Chelsea fan and he is always on about ticket prices and membership schemes you need to be in to buy a ticket. I think a PL game will cost you at least £45 plus the need to be a member of some description.

But i do agree with what you say about City ticket prices if we dropped the price to £15-18 we would fill the stadium and create a better atmosphere.

Go and watch Chelsea then

Not that I want anyone to leave the Bristol City family but it sounds like you have already left - here is a new forum for you, good luck http://forums.cfcnet.co.uk/

I knew this would be the kind of reply. It just goes to show that some of our fans would rather drive other fans away than accept all is not right with this club.

I do not support Chelsea, I never will support Chelsea and the fact you focused on me using Chelsea as an example rather than looking at valid points from a fellow City fan shows that there is a lot of denial in our fan base. Honestly our fans seem to have this view that if we're not backing the clubs decisions then we're not loyal... what a crock! I've supported this club for 24 years, 20 of those whilst living in Cardiff where I worse my Bristol City kit to almost every training session and even in my pub league matches. If wearing a City top in Cardiff based pub league matches doesn't show I love my club then I guess short of agreeing with everything any Bristol City fan and board member says then nothing will.

The biggest problem with our fans is that they cannot take criticism when it comes to this club and rather than accepting there may be some truth in what I write the answer instead is "we don't want a fan who thinks for himself, go support Chelsea"...

Just been on the Chelsea site and can only find tickets for £40, they may have some cheap seats but doubt they have many. Also I don't think our ticket prices are that bad. On par with other clubs in the league and offer a cheaper ticket than most.

If you think our ticket prices are high you should see Swindons. My wife is Hereford supported and we got priced out of their match at Swindow where they were £30 each pay on the day £25 in advanced not that is to much.

I knew this would be the kind of reply. It just goes to show that some of our fans would rather drive other fans away than accept all is not right with this club.

I do not support Chelsea, I never will support Chelsea and the fact you focused on me using Chelsea as an example rather than looking at valid points from a fellow City fan shows that there is a lot of denial in our fan base. Honestly our fans seem to have this view that if we're not backing the clubs decisions then we're not loyal... what a crock! I've supported this club for 24 years, 20 of those whilst living in Cardiff where I worse my Bristol City kit to almost every training session and even in my pub league matches. If wearing a City top in Cardiff based pub league matches doesn't show I love my club then I guess short of agreeing with everything any Bristol City fan and board member says then nothing will.

The biggest problem with our fans is that they cannot take criticism when it comes to this club and rather than accepting there may be some truth in what I write the answer instead is "we don't want a fan who thinks for himself, go support Chelsea"...

It's a step up from go support the gas I suppose. You also usually get the blind statement of Always Believe attached to it with a :city: icon.

You've done very well to avoid this kind of torture. Anyway, so long as the club continues to do what it has always done, it will always get what it has gotten, as someone once said loosely. Clear out is needed, but I don't hear those noises from the club unfortunately.

I'd rather watch City. My grandfather watched City from the 1920's, my mother and father from the 1950's, Bristol is my home and City are my team and I have a personal tie with them. Plus I can walk to the ground.

Shirts are cheaper because they can mass produce them at a lower price, same as ticket prices. A bigger stadium and a bigger following means they can tier the prices accordingly (as with the Olympics or any major sporting events where they can charge more for corporate seats etc).

It's not at all surprising though is it?

You talk about paying to go and watch Chelsea and buying a Chelsea shirt, as well as watching them on TV.

You have 'thought for yourself' and decided to spend money on showing your support for Chelsea, a team I'd warrant most on here don't care about and many actively dislike.

I'm one who doesn't like Chelsea one bit and I despair of any Bristolian who wears their colours.

I really don't know how you can pay money to watch Chelsea, buy their blue shirt, and then maintain you are a Bristol City fan.no.gif

My lad follows Chelsea and I have taken him to Stamford Bridge a few times. He has been to loads of City games and he will come back at some point (he's only 10) but kids seem to follow whoever's top of the Prem nowadays which is different to how things were years ago.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the football on show (bloody superb tbh) it isn't the City and I couldn't have cared less if Chelsea won or lost. It has never crossed my mind to change my loyalties, Indeed, I do everything I can to get my lad to follow his dad and Grandad in the ways of BCFC.

If fans choose to change then surely wouldn't it follow that they were never really fans in the first place? Your club is in your blood and change is not something the vast majority could ever contemplate,

WTGR Spike, I read your original post as sounding like you had swapped teams as well. Apologies for reading it that way.

Archived