IGNORED

It's Not Great, But There Is Hope!

Tales From The Front

I felt gutted yeasterday, evening as I guess we all did...I thought we could / would beat Peterborough. The performance wasn't that bad and on reflection gives me some encouragement the squad might not be the best but I honeslty do think there is enough there to get us to safety.

The re-introduction of Cisse is critical and I hope he gets fully match fit quickly. Nobody needs me or anyone else to say the defence is weak therefore in my opinion we should revert to three at the back fill the midfield and attack down the flanks, we got as many crosses in the box yesterday as I can remember for a long time. Had we had a genuine two up top for the whole game we would have had more joy, not that Elliott should have won the game for us on his own. Wigley takes a little credit but his tactis for me cost us, he shouldn't have taken Cisse off and should not have brought in Spence out of posistion at right back but started with JCR. His emphasise on crosses in training (accroding to his post match interview) gives him credit as does his courage to bring in Stewart and Cisse who ridicously had been bombed out of sight by Millen.

There is hope, we do have a chance, I really beleive that but the formation will be absolutley of vital importance as this group of players need to be organised properly in a system to which their, in some cases dubious ability can get results. That has so far and will continue to be the responsibility of the manager. We have to accept that some of the squad arn't good enough but I am convinced that the right man on the training field can get this lot to 48-50 points (hope thats enough). Then re-build in the summer, something that should have been done three summers ago, which has finaly caught up with the club.

Wigley takes a little credit but his tactis for me cost us, he shouldn't have taken Cisse off and should not have brought in Spence out of posistion at right back but started with JCR. His emphasise on crosses in training (accroding to his post match interview) gives him credit as does his courage to bring in Stewart and Cisse who ridicously had been bombed out of sight by Millen.

Not getting the best out of Cisse and Stewart ultimately cost Millen his job. I thought Stewart played well in defence and for a big bloke he's got a pretty deft touch. Had our players been better at getting on the end of all the crosses we could easily have won. Elliott did score but missed many chances from crosses - so why wasn't one of our forwards there to convert those chances from crosses ????!!!

Not getting the best out of Cisse and Stewart ultimately cost Millen his job. I thought Stewart played well in defence and for a big bloke he's got a pretty deft touch. Had our players been better at getting on the end of all the crosses we could easily have won. Elliott did score but missed many chances from crosses - so why wasn't one of our forwards there to convert those chances from crosses ????!!!

Its a good question and one I would be asking Mr Maynard...late in the game there was a cross come shot that rolled across the six yard box...for a goal hungry Maynard that would have been meat and drink . The other reason IMO is the three up front, Pitman who had a good game, not for the first time found himself wide left as has been the norm in these sudo Millan tactics. He found himself in the centre of the box on very few occassions, bringing a wonderful save with aheader in the first half. Had he played the whole game as part of a top two in a 3-5-2 formation he would have scored yesterday, his all round performance suggested as much to me at least.

Its a good question and one I would be asking Mr Maynard...late in the game there was a cross come shot that rolled across the six yard box...for a goal hungry Maynard that would have been meat and drink . The other reason IMO is the three up front, Pitman who had a good game, not for the first time found himself wide left as has been the norm in these sudo Millan tactics. He found himself in the centre of the box on very few occassions, bringing a wonderful save with aheader in the first half. Had he played the whole game as part of a top two in a 3-5-2 formation he would have scored yesterday, his all round performance suggested as much to me at least.

In the first half, the POSH goalie was regularly spilling the ball from shots and - again - no forward in position to convert the spills. The service and half chances were there yesterday for the taking.

Elliot has missed a hat full of chances over the last 3 games and those misses have proved costly

That is true, and there is no excuse for it. I posted a long time ago that I thought that Elliott being freed from his defensive duties would bring goals, storming into the box late, unfortunately his poor finishing has proved costly, I agree. I guess even more reason to get the natural goal scorer (Pitman), working in the box rather than wide left.

We have plenty of wide men in our squad. There is no need for Pitman to play wide just to accommodate Maynard who badly needs resting to get his desire back Play Pitman in his natural role, striker, and I'm sure he will get plenty of goals for us.

The really worrying thing is how we've managed to get no points from the last three games, and in doing so letting in TEN goals.

Everyone knows how good we were against Reading, against Blackpool we were the better team until half-time and yesterday we were the better team until Posh scored the second, and also piled on a bit of pressure late one. We could easily have got seven points from these three games, but yet we have none. This is a sign of relegation!

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic as some would say that it is a good sign, and if we keep playing this way results will pick up, but you can't losing games you have played well in, as it's a nailed on certainty that we will have a fair amount of games where we are extremely poor!

The really worrying thing is how we've managed to get no points from the last three games, and in doing so letting in TEN goals.

Everyone knows how good we were against Reading, against Blackpool we were the better team until half-time and yesterday we were the better team until Posh scored the second, and also piled on a bit of pressure late one. We could easily have got seven points from these three games, but yet we have none. This is a sign of relegation!

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic as some would say that it is a good sign, and if we keep playing this way results will pick up, but you can't losing games you have played well in, as it's a nailed on certainty that we will have a fair amount of games where we are extremely poor!

Totally agree and most do...the point I'm making is that you can not underestimate the effect of tactics, formations and not picking your best players has had on the performances and obviously the results so far. I have never fully subscribed to the once they cross the line there is nothing the manager can do argument and I think Bristol City this season and large parts of last is a good argument to support this view. I honestly beleive we would not have conceeded the 2nd goal yesterday had Cisse stayed onthe pitch and I think we would not have conceeded the first had Spence not been playing left back. Of course that is opinion, just like my comments about playing 3-5-2 are.

Wigley as I have said takes some credit for focusing on the need to get more quality crosses into the box, that is improvement, just as Cisse and Stewarts contribution yesterday...its small things I know but good signs nevertheless. My whole point is that despite the obvious flaws in the team / squad I beleive with the right coaching this season can be recovered. It isn't goign to be easy and the new "Gaffer" has his work cur out but I think the last two home performance have shown yes there is serious defensive issues to be addressed but there is some hope.

Totally agree and most do...the point I'm making is that you can not underestimate the effect of tactics, formations and not picking your best players has had on the performances and obviously the results so far. I have never fully subscribed to the once they cross the line there is nothing the manager can do argument and I think Bristol City this season and large parts of last is a good argument to support this view. I honestly beleive we would not have conceeded the 2nd goal yesterday had Cisse stayed onthe pitch and I think we would not have conceeded the first had Spence not been playing left back. Of course that is opinion, just like my comments about playing 3-5-2 are.

Wigley as I have said takes some credit for focusing on the need to get more quality crosses into the box, that is improvement, just as Cisse and Stewarts contribution yesterday...its small things I know but good signs nevertheless. My whole point is that despite the obvious flaws in the team / squad I beleive with the right coaching this season can be recovered. It isn't goign to be easy and the new "Gaffer" has his work cur out but I think the last two home performance have shown yes there is serious defensive issues to be addressed but there is some hope.

A pretty fair assesment of things. Although I agree that it is less likely we would have conceded the second with Cisse on the pitch, at 1-0 down SW did need to get Pitman upfront and to do this he needed to bring on JCR on the left. It was obvious that one of the three central midfield players would be sarcrificed and although Cisse was probably having the best game out of the lot it was probably right that he was the man to go. First of all he can't be fully macth fit. Secondly, you'd probably want the other two on the pitch more at 1-0 down. Marv is always dangerous in the opponent's box as he showed time and time again yesterday and Kilkenny, although pretty poor in my opinion yesterday, is needed to knock the ball about. Also in the small amount of time that Brett has been allowed to play upfront this season Kilkenny does seem able to link up well with him.

I agree wholeheartedly on Cisse and Stewart. I am a massive Cisse fan, but even I was surprised he could instantly slip in and look that composed. Stewart surprised me massively!

Our squad of players is not the worst in this league. We may try our best to make it look that way at times! But it isn't. I also agree wholeheartedly about the 'once they cross the line' thing, as far as I can see it is an excuse thrown out when you want to stick up for the manager, but have no evidence to suggest that sticking up for the manager is the right thing to do!

Archived