IGNORED

Del's To Do List

Loderingo

Well it looks like McInnes will get the job and I wish him well. I'm sure he has already seen our performances on DVD this season and has a good idea of what needs to be done but I thought it would be useful to list out the main challenges he is likely to face

CHALLENGE #1 - CALAMITY KEEPERS - We have conceeded a ridiculous number of goals from goalkeeping errors this season. James has been a fine player but has perhaps gone on one season too many. Gerkin is no better than average. I think it could be time to bring someone in on loan or in the window

CHALLENGE #2 - A WISE HEAD AT THE BACK - Our defenders individually are not too bad but as a unit they don't always work well and they are mostly quite young. We need someone experienced who can command the defence. A bit more height wouldn't go amiss either.

CHALLENGE #3 - CAPTAIN MARVEL - We need someone who can rally the troops and lead from the front.

CHALLENGE #4 - MIDFIELD MAGIC - In some ways we have quite a good midfield now. We have a lot of players like Cisse, Elliott, Skuse who can tackle and make sure we don't get overrun. The problem is the end product. Adomah and JCR can whip in crosses but none of our strikers are that tall. What we also miss is someone like Hartley who can play the through ball for Maynard. Many people would call for a new creative midfielder but we do have a lot of options already - Kilkenny, Woolford (who played there for Scunny), Clarkson (who has done OK in the hole before), even Johnson!

CHALLENGE #5 - MOTIVATING MAYNARD - We have a guy who we could have had 5 million for but doesn't look it at the moment. Now partly this may be down to the lack of service but it could also be because he is unsettled and is ready to move on. The challenge is to try to get the best out of Maynard while he is still here (and for the player's sake he needs to put himself in the shop window). Otherwise he has to be prepared to drop Maynard and play Pitman and Taylor

New keeper certainly, was listening to the Palace commentary last night and they pretty much ridiculed him throughout the game, said he was well past it etc. Only issue with this is the amount of money the guy is supposed to be on, can we really just leave him on the bench or reserves whilst paying out for a 3rd keeper to come in on loan as well?

I think our midfield and attack is what will save us this season if at all. Player for player we have good options in the middle, decent wingers and a nice selection of strikers. With Maynard playing like he is recently, i would not be suprised to see him dropped by the new boss. Does he actually have anything to play for? Looks pretty clear he will not be signing a new contract, unless he can be shipped out on Jan for a couple of Million then i think i would prefer to see him on the bench and give the likes of Pitman and Stead a run together up front.

The defence must be his priority, conceded far to many crappy goals this season and last. Roll on next summer, hopefully still in the league and the manager gets to build a team of his own, big changes ahead.

Well he has a 3 and a half year deal apparently, so I am going to keep it as realistic as possible

this season - survival

next season - promotion

season after - Premier League top 4

last season - At LEAST quarter finals of the Champions League and another top four finish

He will then leave City to take over a now retired Alex Ferguson at Man U

Well it looks like McInnes will get the job and I wish him well. I'm sure he has already seen our performances on DVD this season and has a good idea of what needs to be done but I thought it would be useful to list out the main challenges he is likely to face

CHALLENGE #1 - CALAMITY KEEPERS - We have conceeded a ridiculous number of goals from goalkeeping errors this season. James has been a fine player but has perhaps gone on one season too many. Gerkin is no better than average. I think it could be time to bring someone in on loan or in the window

CHALLENGE #2 - A WISE HEAD AT THE BACK - Our defenders individually are not too bad but as a unit they don't always work well and they are mostly quite young. We need someone experienced who can command the defence. A bit more height wouldn't go amiss either.

CHALLENGE #3 - CAPTAIN MARVEL - We need someone who can rally the troops and lead from the front.

CHALLENGE #4 - MIDFIELD MAGIC - In some ways we have quite a good midfield now. We have a lot of players like Cisse, Elliott, Skuse who can tackle and make sure we don't get overrun. The problem is the end product. Adomah and JCR can whip in crosses but none of our strikers are that tall. What we also miss is someone like Hartley who can play the through ball for Maynard. Many people would call for a new creative midfielder but we do have a lot of options already - Kilkenny, Woolford (who played there for Scunny), Clarkson (who has done OK in the hole before), even Johnson!

CHALLENGE #5 - MOTIVATING MAYNARD - We have a guy who we could have had 5 million for but doesn't look it at the moment. Now partly this may be down to the lack of service but it could also be because he is unsettled and is ready to move on. The challenge is to try to get the best out of Maynard while he is still here (and for the player's sake he needs to put himself in the shop window). Otherwise he has to be prepared to drop Maynard and play Pitman and Taylor

Got to solve with man management though, not much money, and January is still some way off

Agree with OP but point 5 - Maynard: he'll be motivated by better service, not hopeful long through balls - he's not tall so why did we hit so many balls up to him last night? FFS, it's not complicated - the lad's better with the ball at his feet or coming across him. If we're playing one up top, put Taylor in.

I actually think the James situation is a more pressing concern. That appointment always looked a bit odd and frankly it's not done us too many favours, eg we lost Hendo. Shame, but it means the new manager will have a big ego to deal with.

Well he has a 3 and a half year deal apparently, so I am going to keep it as realistic as possible

this season - survival

next season - promotion

last season - At LEAST quarter finals of the Champions League and another top four finish

Brilliant !!

this season - survival

next season - promotion

Top 4? Quarter Finals? If we don't win the Premier League and dominate Europe in D Mac's time here then the forum will surely turn against him! :noexp:

Top 4? Quarter Finals? If we don't win the Premier League and dominate Europe in D Mac's time here then the forum will surely turn against him! :noexp:

Looking at your avatar i wonder if James is being considered or would apply for some form of coaching role? Might be the decent way of slowly moving him out of the the number 1 goalie slot if Del cannot bring him back to form.

Looking at your avatar i wonder if James is being considered or would apply for some form of coaching role? Might be the decent way of slowly moving him out of the the number 1 goalie slot if Del cannot bring him back to form.

I thought the same but do wonder if a goalkeeping coach who only shows up twice a week would make much difference? Also I'd imagine there would be quite a reduction in wages.

SET PIECES. Oh my god - set pieces.

37 Corners against P'boro, never looked like scoring. Free kicks are just a joke.

The OP has it right but they are long term goals although the need is immidiate. The first thing as others have said is the formation, we don't have great players but we do have a squad that can produce better than it has. The best form of defence with this lot is attack. 3- 5-2

Good luck Derek and welcome.

Archived