IGNORED

Goalkeeping Post 2011/2012

Lack of Action Man

I reckon just the candidate would be Stephen Hend.....oh wait yeah we got shot of our best goalkeeper. Next.

Good question, both James and Gerken have their pros and cons, we need a hybrid version of them rolled together.

Carey seems to be getting great reviews whilst on loan but is he ready for the demands of the Championship yet?

Who'd be a manager...not me!

I dont know what the recall situation is like, but I'd be happy with Gerken/Carey for the rest of the season

As much as some will groan about it.

If we want to prepare early for League One, why not.

Giving up now, is an option I suppose.

So, still content to not respond to the earlier discussion about this, I had with you after Blackpool iirc for a cheap dig re Gerken? Yes/No?

Remind me what I never responded to?

All I can remember about the blackpool game was two clangers - at least james does not make clangers in EVERY game :laughcont:

If we want to prepare early for League One, why not.

Giving up now, is an option I suppose.

At one stage during the match l thought James had decided he had enough and was walking out the ground. Then l realised it was another of those calamitous moments.

He is l am afraid no better than Gerken (that's a worry in itself) and p can't believe he is any better than Carey.

What concerns me is that the players seem afraid to dish out a few choice words to him when he puts them in trouble. Fonts should have given him hell on two very clear occassions, but chose to turn his back and walk away. It's almost like they are scared of him, which is no good for team moral in my opinion.

At one stage during the match l thought James had decided he had enough and was walking out the ground. Then l realised it was another of those calamitous moments.

He is l am afraid no better than Gerken (that's a worry in itself) and p can't believe he is any better than Carey.

What concerns me is that the players seem afraid to dish out a few choice words to him when he puts them in trouble. Fonts should have given him hell on two very clear occassions, but chose to turn his back and walk away. It's almost like they are scared of him, which is no good for team moral in my opinion.

James was piss poor yesterday - age is definately catching up with him.

Saw this coming though. Whilst Henderson is playing for pompey - we've got 2 piss poor keepers to choose from thanks to millen.

Should never have given gerken a new contract. It was hendersons time to become no2 and challenge James.

James is better than gerken though. Like I said, gerken makes clangers in every game.

Plus james does command is box better...... usually.

Saw this coming though. Whilst Henderson is playing for pompey - we've got 2 piss poor keepers to choose from thanks to millen.

Should never have given gerken a new contract. It was hendersons time to become no2 and challenge James.

James is better than gerken though. Like I said, gerken makes clangers in every game.

It was Hendersons time to take over in my opinion and we messed up, thus leaving us with two poor keepers.

Is this Carey lad any good?

It was Hendersons time to take over in my opinion and we messed up, thus leaving us with two poor keepers.

Is this Carey lad any good?

He's on loan to Gloucester City.....

Me thinks he probabaly aint nowhere near ready yet

I disagree with you Riaz. I think James is the one who makes clangers EVERY game.

Remember yesterday where he came off his line, totally failed to make the challenge (on Burke I think it was) and then stood and watched like an utter nondy as he was rounded. Luckily there was no end product then, but that wasn't the first open goal we presented them. Add to that the fact that most of the time he seems unable to kick past the half-way line, he is the weakest link. And his unreliability must prey on the minds of our defenders and unsettle them.

Gerks - by contrast - was poor at Blackpool but had been playing quite well when he got his first chance this season. There was a collective groan where I sit when he injured himself and had to be subbed at half-time.

Five years ago, there would've been absolutely no argument, but now I think age has rendered James our worst option in goal.

SO loan keeper or Gerken are our options IMO.

I disagree with you Riaz. I think James is the one who makes clangers EVERY game.

Remember yesterday where he came off his line, totally failed to make the challenge (on Burke I think it was) and then stood and watched like an utter nondy as he was rounded. Luckily there was no end product then, but that wasn't the first open goal we presented them. Add to that the fact that most of the time he seems unable to kick past the half-way line, he is the weakest link. And his unreliability must prey on the minds of our defenders and unsettle them.

Gerks - by contrast - was poor at Blackpool but had been playing quite well when he got his first chance this season. There was a collective groan where I sit when he injured himself and had to be subbed at half-time.

Five years ago, there would've been absolutely no argument, but now I think age has rendered James our worst option in goal.

SO loan keeper or Gerken are our options IMO.

Gerken has'nt played well when he has played for us this season at all. Even in our only win against leicester he almost gifted leicester an equalizer.

James has had some half decent games - not many, granted.

On the last performance, James deserves to be dropped - but I dont want gerken in goal.

What a mess, we have 2 1st team GK's and there both as bad as each other and the only other option is a youngster who's never played and the answer to our problem is now 1st choice at Portsmouth. :dunno:

We need a new keeper drafted in on loan as a priority till the end of the season, James only ever had a year left in the tank, if he was a car he would fail his M.O.T and Gerkin is too inconsistent for this level, their mistakes are costing us points every weekend.

Gerken has'nt played well when he has played for us this season at all. Even in our only win against leicester he almost gifted leicester an equalizer.

James has had some half decent games - not many, granted.

On the last performance, James deserves to be dropped - but I dont want gerken in goal.

Almost is not quite. James HAS gifted winners to our opponents on numerous occasions.

In fact, by his gaffe-prone standards, Sunday was probably one of his better games in that he actually managed to hold the ball a couple of times when it was kicked straight at him.

Gerken has played in our only win, kept a clean sheet versus a reasonable Portsmouth side and had pulled off two magnificent saves from Swindon's Ritchie to keep us in that Carling Cup tie, before he was injured.

Almost is not quite. James HAS gifted winners to our opponents on numerous occasions.

In fact, by his gaffe-prone standards, Sunday was probably one of his better games in that he actually managed to hold the ball a couple of times when it was kicked straight at him.

Gerken has played in our only win, kept a clean sheet versus a reasonable Portsmouth side and had pulled off two magnificent saves from Swindon's Ritchie to keep us in that Carling Cup tie, before he was injured.

Gerken gifted blackpool 2 goals. Cant forget the mistake against leicester, just because we werent punished.

Pompey came to ashton gate, with one thing in mind, if I remember correctly.... a point.

Truth is, their both utter shyte - and theres no point arguing who is worse.

Gerken gifted blackpool 2 goals. Cant forget the mistake against leicester, just because we werent punished.

Pompey came to ashton gate, with one thing in mind, if I remember correctly.... a point.

Truth is, their both utter shyte - and theres no point arguing who is worse.

Well, let's just say a loan keeper would be my preferred option too.

But James would be my third choice. Don't forget he gifted Reading two goals the week before Gerks was recalled.

Agree - and said at the time - that we dropped an utter bolloc when we let Hendo go.

This post

There the two 'clangers' were discussed and put into context. This was against the previous post in the same thread, where you completely disregarded some excellent saves that kept us in the game vs Leicester to further your obtuse agenda against Gerken, without much in the way of foundation. Sadly, in the same way that some are choosing to go down the we should have taken the 6 million for Maynard route, despite him not wanting to go, your views seem to be gaining momentum with other fans when, by and large they are baseless

FWIW and to clarify, again, Henderson was offered a contract by us to stay, he didn't accept it and moved on to Portsmouth. No amount of 'wishing' is going to change that, nor is barracking Gerken for ' completely messing up the goal keeping situation'. It's not his fault for accepting a contract that was offered and for Henderson for not accepting a contract and moving on to a different club.

A vindictive smear campaign off the back of Henderson wanting to move on, doesn't really solve anything and helps to exacerbate the mess that we are currently in when there are little grounds for it.

(For the sake of parity, and against my original linked post, Pompey fans seem to be re-evaluating their position on Henderson Not 606 link, since his the Leeds game, but its irrespective, because as per above Henderson chose to go and not stay, despite being offered a new deal)

As for James, I cant recall a game this season where he hasn't had a clanger or made an error. Time has caught up with him in a big way and its time for him to retire. It happens to every player at some point. We cant keep picking him on reputation (especially when he has none here largely), as his performances aren't clearly up to it.

Instead we are left with picking a keeper who helped us finish 10th or so when he was first choice, which is hardly the disaster that it is made out to be by some on here.

Look, I initally backed James because he had been a solid keeper for us. But he has had too many bad games now and it would seem his age is catching up with him.

Gerken is a good shot stopper - I have never denied that, but nothing more - a howler is always just around the corner - he's very indecisive.

Now, we had to give james a new deal - he played enough games to warrant it and had a solid season.

Now why offer BOTH gerken and Hendo a new deal? neither are no 3 - they are both too old to be number 3.

Now if we let gerken go, I'm certain Hendo would have stayed. He went to pompey to be no 2 -He would have been that here - but behind a older keeper.

Now, why did he go? well, why would a promising keeper stay to be behind a poor keeper like gerken? He needed to progress his career and staying behind gerken would'nt have done that.

But, we are here now, regretting that he left - just as I predicted.

This post

Where the two 'clangers' were discussed and put into context. This was against the previous post in the same thread, where you completely disregarded some excellent saves that kept us in the game vs Leicester to further your obtuse agenda against Gerken, without much in the way of foundation. Sadly, in the same way that some are choosing to go down the we should have taken the 6 million for Maynard route, despite him not wanting to go, your views seem to be gaining momentum with other fans when, by and large they are baseless

FWIW and to clarify, again, Henderson was offered a contract by us to stay, he didn't accept it and moved on to Portsmouth. No amount of 'wishing' is going to change that, nor is barracking Gerken for ' completely messing up the goal keeping situation'. It's not his fault for accepting a contract that was offered and for Henderson for not accepting a contract and moving on to a different club.

A vindictive smear campaign off the back of Henderson wanting to move on, doesn't really solve anything and helps to exacerbate the mess that we are currently in when there are little grounds for it.

(For the sake of parity, and against my original linked post, Pompey fans seem to be re-evaluating their position on Henderson Not 606 link, since his the Leeds game, but its irrespective, because as per above Henderson chose to go and not stay, despite being offered a new deal)

As for James, I cant recall a game this season where he hasn't had a clanger or made an error. Time has caught up with him in a big way and its time for him to retire. It happens to every player at some point. We cant keep picking him on reputation (especially when he has none here largely), as his performances aren't clearly up to it.

Instead we are left with picking a keeper who helped us finish 10th or so when he was first choice, which is hardly the disaster that it is made out to be by some on here.

He was world class at Donny

James WAS a good keeper, and like Riaz says age has caught up with him unfortunatly he's not upto a solid 90mins anymore, theres always a blunder waiting to happen around the corner, Gerkin has his moments but way to inconsistant, we would be replacing James with a younger version with simular problems.

New keeper needed at Ashton Gate ASAP

This club has made some ridiculous decisions in the last year (not selling Maynard, willing to sell our best defender to Southampton) but getting rid of Henderson is without doubt the worst. Better than the 2 clowns there now by a country mile.

He was world class at Donny

He's been playing for 20+ years, it had to happen at some point in his career...........

Sorry but DJ is totally past it and I would cut my arm off and eat it if he carries on playing at Championship level or above next season, I would imagine he will most likely retire. IMO he should bow out gracefully now like Gary Neville did when he realised his playing days were over (only decent thing he ever did). One thing that really surprises me is how poor DJ's kicking is, he struggles to get it over the half way line from a goal kick.

Our issue is that Gerken clearly isn't the answer either so we have to get another goalkeeper in ASAP. It would seem we have 2 options, loan or free transfer (i think we can still sign freebies outside of the window). If we loan then I'd imagine we'd be looking at some hot shot young keeper or 3rd choice from the PL, or a goalkeeper currently without a club as a short term option until Jan.

I've come up with some names for both:

Loan: Rhys Taylor, Brian Murphy, Rob Elliot

Free: Maik Taylor, Richard Wright

IMO until we can a solid Number 1 in place then we will continue to leak goals.

I do admire the way you stick to your guns Riaz but Gerken does not make a clanger every game! He has done well in every game he's played this season bar the Blackpool game while James spills at least one or two easy shots every game and has made countless diabolical errors. It's clear we need a new goalkeeper soon but I would go for Gerken at the moment as I have reached a point where I have zero confidence in James. The season Gerken was our first choice he had a few games where he had a mare (Cardiff in the Cup obviously springs to mind) but he also single-handedly kept us in some games (he was magnificent at St James Park and earned us a thoroughly undeserved point against Ipswich).

Agree about Henderson though, yet another moronic decision by the Football Club in the way we handled his situation.

He's been playing for 20+ years, it had to happen at some point in his career...........

Sorry but DJ is totally past it and I would cut my arm off and eat it if he carries on playing at Championship level or above next season, I would imagine he will most likely retire. IMO he should bow out gracefully now like Gary Neville did when he realised his playing days were over (only decent thing he ever did). One thing that really surprises me is how poor DJ's kicking is, he struggles to get it over the half way line from a goal kick.

Our issue is that Gerken clearly isn't the answer either so we have to get another goalkeeper in ASAP. It would seem we have 2 options, loan or free transfer (i think we can still sign freebies outside of the window). If we loan then I'd imagine we'd be looking at some hot shot young keeper or 3rd choice from the PL, or a goalkeeper currently without a club as a short term option until Jan.

I've come up with some names for both:

Loan: Rhys Taylor, Brian Murphy, Rob Elliot

Free: Maik Taylor, Richard Wright

IMO until we can a solid Number 1 in place then we will continue to leak goals.

I don't disagree but RalphMilnesLeftFoot said he hasn't played well at all this season...

What's so frustrating is that most teams coming to Ashton Gate this season seem to be bringing with them a very competent Chamionship keeper who's been on our books in the past and we've let go: Henderson, Basso, Myhill yesterday, and Weale still to come. It's like a weekly reminder of our inability to spot and retain talent.

To be perfectly honest, i think david james is probably one of the worst goalies i have seen at the gate for over the last 40 years that i have been watching city. He doesnt give the team any confidence or help inspire the players, he has the complete oppposite effect. we will probably get relegated if james stays in the team this season.

yeah he is a nice guy but he should have hung up his gloves 2 years ago, his record with other clubs arent great but he seems to be worse with us.

I cant see gerken is the answer, i think delboy needs to bring in another keeper like basso who inspired everyone around him. if the players know they got a good goalie they will have more confidence.

quote from wiki:"James also stated that he hopes his performances for Bristol City will keep him on the radar for the England team" :rofl2br:

Archived