IGNORED

A Good Example Of Why Spain Are Better Than England

MarcusX

Tonight David Silva returned to Spain for his first domestic match since leaving Valencia, against firm rivals Villereal

In England, imagine an ex-rovers player coming here for another team. Especially a succesful one, queue horrible reception from fans, insults, abuse etc

Not in Spain... Villereal put aside all domestic quabbles to give this guy a very warm reception purely for his achievements for the national team.

Now could you image that anywhere in England? Michael Owen getting a warm reception for United against Liverpool? Rooney against Everton? Beckham against Man City? Nope never.

Tonight David Silva returned to Spain for his first domestic match since leaving Valencia, against firm rivals Villereal

In England, imagine an ex-rovers player coming here for another team. Especially a succesful one, queue horrible reception from fans, insults, abuse etc

Not in Spain... Villereal put aside all domestic quabbles to give this guy a very warm reception purely for his achievements for the national team.

Now could you image that anywhere in England? Michael Owen getting a warm reception for United against Liverpool? Rooney against Everton? Beckham against Man City? Nope never.

We clapped Basso when he returned with Hull and there are lots of other examples of such.

Spain have an advantage in that they don't really play any other sports other than football. We play them all and are masters of none.

Perhaps if Rooney, Owen, Beckham et al had won the Euro's / World Cup back to back they would receive a warmer reception at opposition grounds!!!

Exactly what I thought. The Spanish football team are national heroes due to their recent achievements .

As where ours are constant source of embarrassment and always the tournament underachievers.

And their reaction to Aguero? And the audible monkey chants at Yaya and Ballotelli?

Spanish fans are amongst the worst in Europe. Bigoted entrenched racists.

If England won the world cup, the players would be living legends and get a good reception wherever they went.

So to your answer, yes I could imagine it! :doh:

Spain are better than England because some fans clapped a player?

I'm struggling to see a connection...

I'd suggest they're better because they have better players, thanks to their far superior coaching and proper approach to the game, but that's just me.

I'd suggest they're better because they have better players, thanks to their far superior coaching and proper approach to the game, but that's just me.

Spot on.

Also, David Silva vs Wayne Rooney. One, a fantastic footballer who lets his ability do the talking, never mouthing off at referees or his own fans. The other, an overrated, ungrateful piece of work. I would clap David Silva off if he played down AG, and I'm English. I'd give Rooney absolute hell.

Spot on.

Also, David Silva vs Wayne Rooney. One, a fantastic footballer who lets his ability do the talking, never mouthing off at referees or his own fans. The other, an overrated, ungrateful piece of work. I would clap David Silva off if he played down AG, and I'm English. I'd give Rooney absolute hell.

x2, and there are plenty of others english players you can add to that list as well. I appreciate we dont get to see the spanish tabloids, but I havent heard of any of the top spanish players being caught sleeping with call girls, racially abusing opponents, or doing all the other morally reprehensible stuff that our lot like to do. The sooner this "generation" sod off the better. The only exception in my eyes, is David Beckham, who has matured into a really quality human being as far as I can see.

Drilling down from that

1. They play futsal - a version of 5 a side in which all players have to be good on the ball.

2. They have a ratio of one qualified coach to every 17 players playing the game. Ours is 1 to every 882.

3. They don't emphasise strength, speed and athleticism. They emphasise, touch, skill, teamwork , patience and (most importantly) footballing intelligence.

4. In kids football, because of (2), it is about each child's development. Here, our professional clubs cherry pick the ones they think have talent when they have barely had any decent coaching. From then on , it's like a kind of footbaling x factor. If they're not deemed good enough at 9, they're dropped. As a result huge numbers of kids are never, ever coached properly. Our system does not facilitate them becoming as good as they can. We have failed to develop literally thousands of potentially decent players and maybe 100s of excellent ones. The people doing the cherry picking go on physical attributes. They don't think about whether a child is capable of learning. Some kids are poor at learning and so aren't worth putting through academies.

5. They have a strong Football Association that runs the game. We don't.

Drilling down from that

1. They play futsal - a version of 5 a side in which all players have to be good on the ball.

2. They have a ratio of one qualified coach to every 17 players playing the game. Ours is 1 to every 882.

3. They don't emphasise strength, speed and athleticism. They emphasise, touch, skill, teamwork , patience and (most importantly) footballing intelligence.

4. In kids football, because of (2), it is about each child's development. Here, our professional clubs cherry pick the ones they think have talent when they have barely had any decent coaching. From then on , it's like a kind of footbaling x factor. If they're not deemed good enough at 9, they're dropped. As a result huge numbers of kids are never, ever coached properly. Our system does not facilitate them becoming as good as they can. We have failed to develop literally thousands of potentially decent players and maybe 100s of excellent ones. The people doing the cherry picking go on physical attributes. They don't think about whether a child is capable of learning. Some kids are poor at learning and so aren't worth putting through academies.

5. They have a strong Football Association that runs the game. We don't.

Whilst I agree with all of that and they're all important, for me number 3 is why England will never have a successful international football team.

Pace, Power, Passion - that's all English football values and it's not going to win us anything because we don't have the basics first.

We need to get kids playing on much smaller pitches where touch and control and accuracy count.

Athleticism is very easy to train later, but if you don't get the on the ball ability at an early age there's little point.

Whilst I agree with all of that and they're all important, for me number 3 is why England will never have a successful international football team.

Pace, Power, Passion - that's all English football values and it's not going to win us anything because we don't have the basics first.

We need to get kids playing on much smaller pitches where touch and control and accuracy count.

Athleticism is very easy to train later, but if you don't get the on the ball ability at an early age there's little point.

what size pitches do you want them on? they altered all the age groups in terms of pitch size and team sizes this summer.

good fans?

Watch the footage of Ballotelli scoring his penalty, and see the chap behind the goal in the yellow coat stand up and do monkey impressions.

Is that what constitutes good fans and why they are better?

Not saying everyone in this country is perfect at football grounds, but it's been many a year since behaviour like that was tolerated here.

CHR

what size pitches do you want them on? they altered all the age groups in terms of pitch size and team sizes this summer.

I would want them playing on no more than 60x40 up until 14 and 70x45 both with reduced size goals until 16 really. Spain don't even play 11v11 until that age.

You need to make the space tight enough that direct balls and through balls aren't very viable so that touch and accuracy are emphasized instead of height or pace.

Also, the guidelines are not easy to follow in the UK where many youth teams are sharing limited facilities with adults.

For the country whose football industry generates the most money of any in the world, we invest a surprisingly tiny about in coaching and facilities.

Archived