IGNORED

Ryan Stevenson

hinsleburg

I've heard that Ryan Stevenson will be first through the door for us in Jan. I've heard he was an attacking midfielder? after checking his wiki stats he seems hardly the most prolific goalscorer ever, maybe a similar player to clarkson (but hopefully better)

Really!!!

41 goals in 213 games (almost 1 in 5) for a midfielder doesn't sound bad to me!

What he'd be like at this level is another matter though.

He got a call-up to the Scotland squad for the friendly v Cyprus so he must be half decent. Then again Lee Miller has been capped by Scotland so maybe not.

It's really really hard to judge what level the Scottish players are. I generally consider good players in the SPL to be of lower championship standard, while great players up there tend to be upper championship nowadays. Gone are the days of Larssons and Laudrups. I hope McInnes doesn't just go Scottish because that's what he knows. Managers tend to do that. And to be fair to him, lazy journalists tend to link them to their countrymen. We've been burnt a few times recently on players from Scotland, but they're undoubtedly cheaper than their English counterparts.

I think if there is truth in this, it could be a permanent answer to the temporary answer that is Stephen Pearson. Get Stephen in to fill the gap while you negotiate for a younger permanent option from the Hearts fire-sale. It's win-win for Stevenson, because by January we'll have a good indication if we will stay up or not.

Archived