IGNORED

Swapsies

bornandbred

Being that we have such a large squad and that we require players in certain positions to improve the team

perhaps we could offload a few players in swap deals with other clubs.

With all the uncertainty with Nicky Maynard and his contract running down rapidly, rather than lose him for nothing

(if he does not get sold in january) he would be an ideal candidate to swap.

There are others of course and I know it is a two way street but it seems logical to me to explore this avenue.

Thoughts.

We're not going to offload the unwanted overpaid footballers in our squad until the end of the season, no one appears to want them on loan and they just aren't attracting a permanent move.

We now have a fantastic new manager and a new belief in our squad, we need to concentrate on maintaining our Championship status this season and re-building in the summer for, hopefully, a brighter future.

Surely that would still leave us with a huge squad? Until we get rid of some players, Loan options are the most sensible option as 'swapsies' rarely happen at this level.

Absolutlely correct except for the fact that if you swap Maynard/Clarkson/Wilson for players that we need then you improve the team.

and in the summer the squad gets reduced automatically with the out of contract players leaving

Absolutlely correct except for the fact that if you swap Maynard/Clarkson/Wilson for players that we need then you improve the team.

and in the summer the squad gets reduced automatically with the out of contract players leaving

Why get rid of Wilson, we are weak at the back as it is, he's a great prospect. if you're getting rid of anyone, get rid of Stewart.

Why get rid of Wilson, we are weak at the back as it is, he's a great prospect. if you're getting rid of anyone, get rid of Stewart.

I am not advocating that we should get rid of Wilson but he is a player that other managers might want and would be interested

swapping. Also I read, heard dreamt that Derek wanted an expierienced centre half

I agree that would should keep Wilson at this moment, but it did seem odd to me that he agreed a new contract just before we got a new manager...

I think it was clear that financial reasons were behind it. He's a good bit of player real estate and has to be worth at least 1 million pounds in the current market, I'd imagine. We had to get him signed up to a new deal as soon as possible, the deal could have been on the table for a long while.

I'm glad he's here and I hope he makes the centre-back berth his own, and we have another academy product starting more often than not. (Skuse being the other one, who I might add, I'd have as my preferred right-back as Ribeiro can't keep fit)

I think it was clear that financial reasons were behind it. He's a good bit of player real estate and has to be worth at least 1 million pounds in the current market, I'd imagine. We had to get him signed up to a new deal as soon as possible, the deal could have been on the table for a long while.

I'm glad he's here and I hope he makes the centre-back berth his own, and we have another academy product starting more often than not. (Skuse being the other one, who I might add, I'd have as my preferred right-back as Ribeiro can't keep fit)

I'm not convinced he'd be worth anything close to a million pounds. He's 22 and he's only made about 30 appearances for Brentford and maybe 10 for City. I'm not suggesting I'm unhappy that he's got a new contract, as I think he's decent back-up and could possibly be a good player, I'm just saying it was strange that he signed a new deal just days before a new manager came in.

I'm not convinced he'd be worth anything close to a million pounds. He's 22 and he's only made about 30 appearances for Brentford and maybe 10 for City. I'm not suggesting I'm unhappy that he's got a new contract, as I think he's decent back-up and could possibly be a good player, I'm just saying it was strange that he signed a new deal just days before a new manager came in.

Whether the board were right to offer him a new contract at that time is debatable. You would expect the new manager to have an input into that decision.

However, I think it made absolute sense for him to sign the new contract when he did.

I certainly would have done so if I was in his position.

It gives him financial security.

A new manager may have seen him surplus to requirements and he would then be looking for a new club, possibly at a lower level and possilbly on lower wages.

But if Maynard intends to run his contract down (as the others in the squad are likely to do).

You cannot force any players to go out on loan.

But if Maynard intends to run his contract down (as the others in the squad are likely to do).

You can't force players to leave or go on loan, no sane person will leave and take the massive drop in wages that certain players will have to do, football is a short career you got to maximise your earnings like any job in life, i love price work i snap there hands off, footballers are the same as us people, 18-34 you need to earn as much as you can.

I'm not thinking about loans for Nicky or anybody else for that matter but swapping him for a premership second string keeper (for example)

if he is not sold in january, This way means that he gets his wish to play for a prem club, we get a reserve prem keeper thus allowing D J to run down his contract

til the summer with no renewal and everybody is happy,

Same applies to other players who we could shift to enhance and reduce the squad

Archived