IGNORED

New Champions League On It's Way?

screech

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15748287.stm

Not sure how likely this could be in the near future but, is it something that would appeal to the ordinary fan. Up to 8 club teams from major leagues could appear in a revamped champions league. Reducing domestic top flight leagues to 16 clubs is something that for me would be catastrophic, see the SPL for evidence. Less home international friendlies and clubs to be paid for releasing their players to play international football.

I can see the appeal for Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man Utd etc.. but where does that leave the domestic game. More money in the arse pocket for the top flight clubs meaning less for everyone else, meaning the leagues will become less competitive and then eventually the closed shop will happen. The bigger clubs end up with what they wanted all along a European league pocketing all the money.

I hope UEFA shoot this down in flames before it gets a head up of steam and the Premier League likewise.

I also think it's a terrible idea as are so many ideas that those with power in football seem to come up with. I think if many of the top European clubs had their way, there would be no Bristol City, no Celta Vigo, no Reggiana etc, there would only be Barcelona, Inter Milan, Manchester United etc. Selfish, thoughtless policies.

• Admin

If that happened then it would also coincide with a Prem 2 as ensuring they still get a sizeable chunk of the TV money is the only way you will get the likes of Bolton, Wolves, West Brom etc to vote for it.

And if Prem 1 was 16 clubs (in order to free up dates for European ties) then Prem 2 should be 20 clubs or they would have significantly less matchdays to generate income.

A massive power struggle will now ensue.

Platini and Blatter will have to compromise on many things, basically eroding their power as the big clubs make major threats to break away.

Alternatively, the clubs could just breakaway and form their own European League, as per the Premier League all over again but on a much bigger scale.

Another death nail into the local football clubs, especially as big clubs no longer have to pay compensation for youth players.

I firmly believe that all gate monies and tv money should be split equally between all clubs. My reasoning for this is that Man U would not get any crowds if they had no opposition to play against. The same for tv - man u would not get any tv money if they had no opposition to play against. The only difference between the clubs should be how they market their club and manage to sell shirts etc in order to boost revenues.

Just imagine the amount of cash in brown envelopes will change hands from fifa and uefa in order to keep clubs in line!

This won't happen in the near future. Barca and Real Madrid want it because they've turned La Liga into SPL mark 2 and they have no competition, but the other European teams have nothing to gain. For a team like Man U or Chelsea, diluting the most watched league in the world to play more games against Ajax or Porto would be a huge risk when the existing Champions League already gives them a huge payday.

Archived