IGNORED

Corners

Chivs

I don't think we can deify Derek quite yet. For me, he still has to win the Champions League, get to 10 games and sort out the corners before we can call him a god.

Obviously, he's on his way towards the three targets above but I really wish he'd put someone up front when the opposition have a corner.

I recall St. Johnstone fans saying that he likes to bring everyone back. I just can't understand it!

If Adomah is left up front, standing on the centre circle, you know that at least two, possibly three defenders will be detailed to mark him. In addition, there is every chance Albert will win any clearances. With everyone back, you know that any clearance is surely landing at the feet of the opposition and the ball is coming straight back into your goal area.

Indeed, exactly this happened against Burnley when we conceded. What's the thinking behind these tactics?

Whilst I'm on tactics, when did marking the thrower of a throw in stop? This happened long before Del but it annoys me that the thrower is always an option for a return ball after a throw in. Have the FA coached this out of our emerging coaches? And why is it deemed not useful to mark the thrower?

Clearly, Derek has reached Saintdom but, to get to the next level, he's got to sort those corners out.

I don't think we can deify Derek quite yet. For me, he still has to win the Champions League, get to 10 games and sort out the corners before we can call him a god.

Obviously, he's on his way towards the three targets above but I really wish he'd put someone up front when the opposition have a corner.

I recall St. Johnstone fans saying that he likes to bring everyone back. I just can't understand it!

If Adomah is left up front, standing on the centre circle, you know that at least two, possibly three defenders will be detailed to mark him. In addition, there is every chance Albert will win any clearances. With everyone back, you know that any clearance is surely landing at the feet of the opposition and the ball is coming straight back into your goal area.

Indeed, exactly this happened against Burnley when we conceded. What's the thinking behind these tactics?

Whilst I'm on tactics, when did marking the thrower of a throw in stop? This happened long before Del but it annoys me that the thrower is always an option for a return ball after a throw in. Have the FA coached this out of our emerging coaches? And why is it deemed not useful to mark the thrower?

Clearly, Derek has reached Saintdom but, to get to the next level, he's got to sort those corners out.

Love that mentality - cant remember who it was, but the manager who planted a philosophy of leaving 3 attackers upfield as it meant they had to put 5 back, left for a very unconjested penalty box to defend - any goal scored would be well deserved rather than the outcome of a melee mix up in a crowded box.

Love that mentality - cant remember who it was, but the manager who planted a philosophy of leaving 3 attackers upfield as it meant they had to put 5 back, left for a very unconjested penalty box to defend - any goal scored would be well deserved rather than the outcome of a melee mix up in a crowded box.

Thinking about it I would leave Maynard and Adomah up front.

I can't think why Maynard is asked to defend at corners. He has never, ever, won a header and his tackling is poor at best.

If we ask Maynard to go left and Adomah to go right I think the oppo will really have something to think about. If James gathers the ball then he has a pacey outlet on either side.

Thinking about it I would leave Maynard and Adomah up front.

I can't think why Maynard is asked to defend at corners. He has never, ever, won a header and his tackling is poor at best.

If we ask Maynard to go left and Adomah to go right I think the oppo will really have something to think about. If James gathers the ball then he has a pacey outlet on either side.

I agree. Albert and Maynard up means three defenders will stay back.

Ignoring the taker, I can't see how 11 vs 9 is easier to defend than 9 vs 6 particularly when the latter gives us a chance of retaining possession when defence's job is done.

Two on the posts, a man on each attacker and the keeper has space to claim the ball.

Ignoring the taker, I can't see how 11 vs 9 is easier to defend than 9 vs 6 particularly when the latter gives us a chance of retaining possession when defence's job is done.

Two on the posts, a man on each attacker and the keeper has space to claim the ball.

Sometimes wondered about this. Would also enable a greater chance of a rapid break I'd have thought. On that general point though, something I read recently was a piece and in it it mentioned Arrigo Sachi's philosophy in this sense...'5 organised defensive players can shut out 10 disorganised attacking players.' Same principle could apply to the corner thing- i.e. 11 v 9, or 9 v 6.

My link

Archived