IGNORED

Rip Socrates

bristolborn_and_red

Great player, but lived for alcohol unfortunately. Clever bloke as well, I believe he was a Doctor.

But why no outpouring of grief like Speed? Arguably far better known. Seems strange.

RIP Socrates, loved your style of play

Possibly one of the best names in world football ever.

Do you think we will have a 1-minute applause before the next home game? I suspect almost no Bristol City fan has ever met him and he has no connection to Bristol City but this does seem to be the fashion these days.

Possibly one of the best names in world football ever.

Do you think we will have a 1-minute applause before the next home game? I suspect almost no Bristol City fan has ever met him and he has no connection to Bristol City but this does seem to be the fashion these days.

Glad i wasn't the only one that though a minutes applause for gary speed was a bit strange.

I remember the 1982 World Cup Panini stickers (although they were clear and not sticky that year). For some reason I can only remember his, as the beard made him stand out. A great player. Have seen goals and football from that Brazil team many times since and I still can't work out how they didn't win that tournament! RIP Socrates.

He seemed to float across the pitch. I didn't realise he didn't turn pro until he was 25 to finish his medical studies

Went on to become a doctor and gave back more than just memories to Brazilian society. Shame he couldn't give up the fags and booze.

Now as mentioned already, if speed got a minutes applause, this guy should get at least that. I bet he doesn't though.

Played football the right way, thanks for the memories

Glad i wasn't the only one that though a minutes applause for gary speed was a bit strange.

You have to mourn people you have never met, it's the latest British craze. It's a bit like the new Hollywood fashion of adopting children, they have phases of the latest must be seen in public fashion accessory, it used to be poodles in handbags.

You have to mourn people you have never met, it's the latest British craze. It's a bit like the new Hollywood fashion of adopting children, they have phases of the latest must be seen in public fashion accessory, it used to be poodles in handbags.

We are becoming a country of liverpudlians

Because they couldn't defend. No side has ever won any major tournament without the ability to defend properly.

Very true, saying that many of the winning Brazilian teams couldn't defend well, but did just enough.

Archived