IGNORED

Southampton Away

chipdawg

Does anyone know why the Southampton away match is the only game on 30th December? It doesn't seem to be on TV. Apologies if this has been asked/covered before

I believe it was moved forward at the request of the local constabulary.

They didn't want Southampton/City in the the town on new years eve night.

May be wrong????

This is correct...didnt want both set of fans in the town on NYE.

Is that as a reaction to that Southampton fan getting a shoeing a couple of weeks ago? I'm fully aware that there are some within our away support that are no angels, but why has that match been singled out? Quickly looking at the fixtures, I would've thought our game was lessof a 'risk' to the law than Barnsley v Leeds, Cardiff v Florest or Millwall v Palace

This is correct...didnt want both set of fans in the town on NYE.

Can't see any reason why any City fans would want to stay in Southampton on New Years Eve, otherwise its no different then any other Saturday. Pain in the arse, wouldn't have minded going to that on the Sat.

Funnily enough it "should" be to our advantage in that we have a longer break than anyone else before our next game on the Tuesday - all others are playing Sat and Monday.

Is that as a reaction to that Southampton fan getting a shoeing a couple of weeks ago? I'm fully aware that there are some within our away support that are no angels, but why has that match been singled out? Quickly looking at the fixtures, I would've thought our game was lessof a 'risk' to the law than Barnsley v Leeds, Cardiff v Florest or Millwall v Palace

The Police changed it a couple of months ago nothing to do with the incident the other week. It's down to the individual Police forces and they requested our game to be moved.

I don't know, but I'm guessing that it has probably more to do with what went on the last time we played them away. There was a lot of trouble after the game, mainly it appeared from our "fans" who went on a bit of a rampage looking for trouble.

After the game I walked back to the main shopping area to meet up with my wife with the intention of having a bite to eat before we drove back. The police however had told every bar and eaterie to shut the doors and not allow anyone in until they were given the all clear that the Bristol supporters had left. They told us we would probably have to wait until 7 or 7.30 before they would allow them to open.

So we went home.:disapointed2se:

I don't know, but I'm guessing that it has probably more to do with what went on the last time we played them away. There was a lot of trouble after the game, mainly it appeared from our "fans" who went on a bit of a rampage looking for trouble.

After the game I walked back to the main shopping area to meet up with my wife with the intention of having a bite to eat before we drove back. The police however had told every bar and eaterie to shut the doors and not allow anyone in until they were given the all clear that the Bristol supporters had left. They told us we would probably have to wait until 7 or 7.30 before they would allow them to open.

So we went home.:disapointed2se:

Weird I cant remember any of that - just a police enforced march back to the train station with no hint of trouble (might have been trouble before the game?), I must have got caught up in a different group.

Weird I cant remember any of that - just a police enforced march back to the train station with no hint of trouble (might have been trouble before the game?), I must have got caught up in a different group.

This was after the game, and to be fair I suppose did not involve that many. Talking, I reckon from what I saw, of may be 20 to 30 of our finest :disapointed2se: . But nevertheless for those being chased and picked on must have been frightening. Main areas affected were away from the ground around some of the roads (St Mary St, St Mary's Pl) near the park area and towards the main shopping centre. I guess the police decided that to prevent any escalation and/or trouble in the shoppping centre it was better to close down the bars etc.

This sort of thing spoils the day out for me, irrespective of the result, and encourages the police to treat all away fans as trouble-makes, which then of course can lead to agitation against the police.

I don't do as many away games as I used to. Can't bothered with all the hassle.

Archived