IGNORED

Sandoza.....

Ricardo 'Livi' Red

All papers up here seem to have him heading to the Gate....?

Although he says happy in Perth and ignoring all rumours, looks like Del will return North of the Border to get his man...

And maybe Davidson as well...?

Both had good games on Christmas Eve...

Well is he a powerful guy that holds the ball up well? That seems to be what Del is after, not a target man per sey, but someone who can cause defenders problems with power and can bring other strikers into play.

I have never seen the guy play, not even when he was at Brighton, so does he cover those attributes covered above? if so I guess he could be coming in our direction.

Fran Sandaza, I've seen him play a few times and I can assure you he isn't a powerhouse target man! Reasonable player no better than what we have though from what I've seen!

Well surely the rumours are wrong then, as Del was quite specific in what we needed up front

Yeah possibly TRL, either that or Del wants to add him as well as a target man!?

To be honest we have 4 strikers and we seem to be missing 2 of the most important attributes (after scoring ability) for the English league. Power and Pace. Amazing really.

I agree, we havent got anyone that plays on the shoulder and runs in behind defences with genuine pace! Albert is our only genuinely pacey player and being on the wing teams have been doubling up on him! I personally think Brett is the best finisher at the club but will only be effective if he is provided with the right service! Hence why I understand Del still opting for the one man up top in Maynard

I agree, we havent got anyone that plays on the shoulder and runs in behind defences with genuine pace! Albert is our only genuinely pacey player and being on the wing teams have been doubling up on him! I personally think Brett is the best finisher at the club but will only be effective if he is provided with the right service! Hence why I understand Del still opting for the one man up top in Maynard

Unfortunately we do not have the type of striker at the club to play 1 up front, and the creativity in the centre of the park is not anywhere near good enough, with or without Killa. While we persist with 1 up front with out the personnel to play it we will struggle, all the strikers we have on our books are either support strikers or goals scorers, hence they need to play together, we do not have a one up top striker on our books

It's a tough one, Maynard is still the best striker we have and he struggles to do the lone role and we obviously dont get the best from him! This is why I dont understand how everyone seems to think if we drop Maynard for Pitman all our problems will be solved, its not that simple, especially as Brett is in no way able to lead the line on his own its not his game,as much as I rate him!

It's a tough one, Maynard is still the best striker we have and he struggles to do the lone role and we obviously dont get the best from him! This is why I dont understand how everyone seems to think if we drop Maynard for Pitman all our problems will be solved, its not that simple, especially as Brett is in no way able to lead the line on his own its not his game,as much as I rate him!

Exactly, change the shape and I think both will score (I happen to think Pitman is a better more natural finisher)

But none of our strikers will score prolifically in that formation. Especially as Albert is the only other player to try and push forward even slightly enough to put a defence under pressure

I don't think that there are many who think that "all our problems will be solved."

However the endless mantra that Maynard is better than Pitman in a lone striker role, has no substance for the simple reason that Pitman has not been given that role week in week out, like Maynard has.

So there are no grounds for comparison. Many supporters I would guess, would just like to see how BP would get on in that role, and for a number of games, not for 10 to 20 minutes at the end of each game when desperation creeps in, after the only player who can apparently play the role ,has in fact blanked again.

How could we do worse? We are not scoring.

Your spot on about Pitman being a more natural finisher, if anything drops in the box more often than not he will score, but then thats part of the prob, playing him up top alone wont solve anything as he needs the service, where Maynard (on his day) can spin and score more goals out of nothing! He has more to his game than Brett, meaning he is best for the lone role at present! thats not to say I dont rate Brett though!

The fact he hasnt changed the system does make me think that Del doesnt believe we have the quality to do so! Im not sure on Pearson and if we were to go 4-4-2 with the players we have then maybe he thinks we will be too exposed at the back! I hope we can get a few decent signings in jan so then we atleast have the option!

We are going to 4-4-2 when Pitman comes on and have gone from a position of winning or drawing to losing when pitman has come on and the formation has changed.

Pitman has 0 in 7, Maynard 0 in 5 and we as a team have scored only 1 in 4. There is more wrong than just going mental over a striker as no one else (As per usual) is scoring regularly, meaning all the pressure is on the striker come what may. Sort that out and then you might have a point.

Pitman has 0 in 7 = 98 minutes including a 7 and two 3 minute stints, hardly 7 games is it. in fact hardly 1 game.

Your spot on about Pitman being a more natural finisher, if anything drops in the box more often than not he will score, but then thats part of the prob, playing him up top alone wont solve anything as he needs the service, where Maynard (on his day) can spin and score more goals out of nothing! He has more to his game than Brett, meaning he is best for the lone role at present! thats not to say I dont rate Brett though!

The fact he hasnt changed the system does make me think that Del doesnt believe we have the quality to do so! Im not sure on Pearson and if we were to go 4-4-2 with the players we have then maybe he thinks we will be too exposed at the back! I hope we can get a few decent signings in jan so then we atleast have the option!

yup, with the lack of service Maynard is the best choice out of any of our strikers as he can make his own chances from range.

Pretty poor state of affairs that Millen created a squad that cannot play even a basic 442, or the players to create in any other formation we try to play unless killa or Albert have stormers. How can some be allowed to create such a imbalanced squad is beyond me and would suggest the directors do not have a clue about what goes on, on the pitch and allow manager to p1ss the chairman/ex chairman's money up against the wall. I sincerely hope Sexton does not endorse the frivolity of money that has led to this. And hopefully Del isn't so stupid as to create a situation like this himself

We are going to 4-4-2 when Pitman comes on and have gone from a position of winning or drawing to losing when pitman has come on and the formation has changed.

Pitman has 0 in 7, Maynard 0 in 5 and we as a team have scored only 1 in 4. There is more wrong than just going mental over a striker as no one else (As per usual) is scoring regularly, meaning all the pressure is on the striker come what may. Sort that out and then you might have a point.

The point I have is that Maynard isn't scoring in the lone striker role.

So don't change the formation if you don't have the players, just change the lone striker.

It may not work, but it can't not work any more than it is not working at the moment.

Plus Maynard's off anyway so we are going to need a plan B.

Why not try plan B before he goes.

Before today's game the stats were

Just for the craic added up Pitman's total pitch time going roughly from ESPN's site

721 mins= 8 games total (culmalative)

1 goal every 240 mins or 1 goal every 3 games

Maynard's from the same site is

1880 mins = 21 games (culmalative)

1 goal every 269 mins or 1 goal every 3 games

Yeah, totally different isnt it? Nothing to do with the complete lack of service in either fornation, or indeed that when we go 4-4-2 we go from drawing or winning to losing as we have in 3 of the last 4 games.

But why let that get in the way of anything.

Well thankfully DM selects the team and the tactics and in all those games where we changed from 4-5-1 to 4-4-2 that was his choice, i'm sure that he would not bow to the crowd on that one.

Frenchay Red

So there are no grounds for comparison. Many supporters I would guess, would just like to see how BP would get on in that role, and for a number of games, not for 10 to 20 minutes at the end of each game when desperation creeps in, after the only player who can apparently play the role ,has in fact blanked again.

Well there are grounds for comparison Frenchay Red as they are both completely different strikers for starters, that have different sides to their game! In my opinion I dont think Brett can play up top on his own, that doesn't mean I dont want to see him given a chance, I think he is a better poacher/finisher than Nicky, but I still believe that Maynard is the best at present to play up top on his own in the current system we are playing! If we were to switch to 4-4-2 then yeah of course I would like to see Brett handed more starts!

But in my opinion at the moment we simply dont have the personnel to switch to a 4-4-2, meaning that for now I think Del is right leaving Brett out!

Frenchay Red

Well there are grounds for comparison Frenchay Red as they are both completely different strikers for starters, that have different sides to their game! In my opinion I dont think Brett can play up top on his own, that doesn't mean I dont want to see him given a chance, I think he is a better poacher/finisher than Nicky, but I still believe that Maynard is the best at present to play up top on his own in the current system we are playing! If we were to switch to 4-4-2 then yeah of course I would like to see Brett handed more starts!

But in my opinion at the moment we simply dont have the personnel to switch to a 4-4-2, meaning that for now I think Del is right leaving Brett out!

Good points.

Sorting our back line out will ultimately enable us to play with the more expansive 4-4-2. Del has it spot on right now with the 4-5-1... he talks about this very point in recent comments.

Archived