IGNORED

How 3-5-2 Can Work

The Bard

If we play the right players in the right position, 3 5 2 could work for us. Any team works best when its set up to get the best out of its best players.

Maybe try this on saturday.

James

Wilson Carey Nyatanga

RWB Skuse, LWB McGivern

CM Cisse holding, Kilkenny and Pearson

Up top - Albert and Pitman (Maynard should be left out so he isn't cup tied)

Key to 3 5 2 is always the wing backs. I think Skuse has shown in the last 2 games that he'd deal with it comfortably. Players who can play in different positions have one thing in common - footballing intelligence and he has plenty. He reads the game better than anyone else at the club - Wing back is all about being in the right place at the right time. McGivern on the other side would be okay. Not the quickest but he'd be okay - Woolford could cover him.

Key to 3 5 2 is always the wing backs. I think Skuse has shown in the last 2 games that he'd deal with it comfortably. Players who can play in different positions have one thing in common - footballing intelligence and he has plenty. He reads the game better than anyone else at the club - Wing back is all about being in the right place at the right time. McGivern on the other side would be okay. Not the quickest but he'd be okay - Woolford could cover him.

I'd say that's the exact problem we'd have with 3-5-2. Skuse may have "footballing intelligence" but he's forever being sucked out of position when he plays at right back, whilst McGivern doesn't have the pace to get back if he is caught up field.

There's also no attacking element to either of them. When we played 3-5-2 successfully under Wilson we had wing backs in Bell and Murray who were both comfortable in attacking positions. Even then, Bell was clearly designated the "defensive" wing back and often dropped into an orthodox left back role when City were on the defensive.

Personally I'd favour a 4-2-3-1 formation with Cisse and Elliot providing a platform for an attacking midfield of Pearson, Kilkenny and Adomah to support Maynard. I'm a fan of 3-5-2 but we don't have the players for it.

I will post the exact same thing as i did yesterday on another thread:

"Can someone please tell me what this ridiculous obsession is with city fans wanting us to play 3-5-2 !!?? I see it mentioned so much on here, its not exactly a solid formation and means our best player has to be moved from his favoured position ! "

I know we are by no means a 'top team' but when was the last time you saw a team at any reasonable level play this system consistently and successfully? We managed it for about 5 games a couple of years ago, but IMO it's an outdated and antiquated system which leaves you exposed to counter attacks and would be completely unbalanced with our current personel. I suspect that Del will be looking to bring in a couple of players which will allow us to ply a more solid and sensible 442 to keep us in this division

If we play the right players in the right position, 3 5 2 could work for us. Any team works best when its set up to get the best out of its best players.

James

Wilson Carey Nyatanga

RWB Skuse, LWB McGivern

3-5-2 is outdated with the modern formations that the opposition will play. If there is a 4-5-1/4-3-3/4-2-3-1 being employed by the opposition, which is highly likely, it means that 3 centre halves are essentially dealing with 1 forward. You then have a situation where you are gaining very little from the three centre halves allowing a lot of space out wide and in the hole to allow the oppositions five midfield players to exploit.

It has died a death for a reason; it doesn't work in the modern game.

I will post the exact same thing as i did yesterday on another thread:

"Can someone please tell me what this ridiculous obsession is with city fans wanting us to play 3-5-2 !!?? I see it mentioned so much on here, its not exactly a solid formation and means our best player has to be moved from his favoured position ! "

Depends how its played matt. In the stayed old fashioned way Albert will be out of position. If you drop a defensive defender back into the centre of defence then push the left or right sided defender across to make a back 4 when we are being attacked it could be very good. If we have intelligent enough players to make it work, well who knows.

We have the players on paper to make it work. Cisse can drop into central defence, both Carey has played right back so could push across, tango and fonts have both played left back so could push across.

James

Wilson Carey Nyatanga

RWB Skuse, LWB McGivern

With respect I dont think 3 5 2 can work for City infact it rarely works for any team. As a former defender I used to love it when the opposition lined up 3 5 2 especially visiting teams... it essentially means 1. the game is going to be fought out in the middle of the park, 2. the opposition were not really interested in attacking too much and 3. Would give us at the back the opportunity to either get forward from the full back position or just bullet the ball over the top, bypassing the midfield to our 3 big strikers . More often or not we were a goal or two up before the opposition worked it out and either pushed one up or pulled one back.

Five in midfeild generally chokes the game and relies heavily on having players who can both win the ball ( Not just tackle) and distribute it when they have it. The midfeild is normally too crowded in this formation for a proper passing game and very soon it degenerates into hopefull punts to the two unfortunate strikers who have to run their bollocks off and generally have little joy.

Depends how its played matt. In the stayed old fashioned way Albert will be out of position. If you drop a defensive defender back into the centre of defence then push the left or right sided defender across to make a back 4 when we are being attacked it could be very good. If we have intelligent enough players to make it work, well who knows.

We have the players on paper to make it work. Cisse can drop into central defence, both Carey has played right back so could push across, tango and fonts have both played left back so could push across.

In 3 5 2, one of the weaknesses is the lack of attacking width. This means that the strikers need to be mobile and good at working the channels - making runs to pick the ball up and being able to keep it. Albert played there against Southampton and it appeared to work. Albert is very good at making himself available. That ability would be maximised more up top - he would be harder for the opposition to pick up.

One of the problems we have with 4 5 1 is that our centre forward can't hold the ball up and is restricted to the middle. We lose width with 4 4 2 as our midfield isn't strong enough. For example, on Tuesday McGivern had no protection in the first half because Pearson tucked in. We are a side fighting for survival and Del has rightly concentrated on making us difficult to beat. I think our defenders could cope with a different way of doing things as the defence is the strongest part of the team.

Archived