IGNORED

Graham Poll

Ian M

• Admin

I always rated him really :)

Can't be bothered to search online for the article so I'll type the relevent part.....

"Last week I refereed my first play-off match at Ashton Gate, the Second Division semi-final second leg between Bristol City and Hartlepool.

Despite my refereeing experiences around the world, I cannot recall a greater contrast between players than at the final whistle. Bristol City, who had scored two late goals to qualify, were ecstatic, while all connected with Hartlepool were in despair. The noise within the stadium when the two home goals went in was incredible and compared favourably with a full Nou Camp for a Champions League quarter-final."

Ashton Gate's a "library" is it? :laugh:

Guest Harry May

Well it was a special night - I can not remember an atmosphere like it in recent times. To think that we made as much noise as the Nou Camp - well it makes you proud , does n't it ! Poll did a good job - far better than most we have endured this season.

I just wish he was refeering the game on sunday. This ref we got worries me . He missed a blatent hand ball when he reffed us against Brighton and I do n't think he has the experience to handle such a big match. I work with a load of Hereford fans and they are still gutted about their play off defeat , caused by the ref sending off a Hereford player after 20 mins. The ref has since admitted that he "may" have made a mistake. A whole season down the drain and a squad now losing players , because of one bad decision. I just hope that the ref we have on sunday has a good game, he does n't make any mistakes and is fair.

Caldicot Red.

This is one of the major gripes with referee's in the game today-that there is no sort of complaint procedure or disciplinary action for referee's who have a bad game.

I remember watching one of Wolves' last games on the Premiership and the ref had a mare (think it was Uriah Rennie) Dave Jones came on after and said pretty much the same thing I've just said and got an FA misconduct charge, while there was no review of how the ref had actually performed.

Oh well, what can you do, apart from hope? :(

Well it was a special night - I can not remember an atmosphere like it in recent times. To think that we made as much noise as the Nou Camp - well it makes you proud , does n't it ! Poll did a good job - far better than most we have endured this season.

I just wish he was refeering the game on sunday. This ref we got worries me . He missed a blatent hand ball when he reffed us against Brighton and I do n't think he has the experience to handle such a big match. I work with a load of Hereford fans and they are still gutted about their play off defeat , caused by the ref sending off a Hereford player after 20 mins. The ref has since admitted that he "may" have made a mistake. A whole season down the drain and a squad now losing players , because of one bad decision. I just hope that the ref we have on sunday has a good game, he does n't make any mistakes and is fair.

Caldicot Red.

In one sense, it's not so much the fault of the ref - they're going to make mistakes. It's the fault of a system that forces two clubs that finished 21 points apart to start off level again in a one-off match for such a huge prize, without giving them any sort of credit for the difference over a season.

When you do that, it's a simple fact of life that such gross injustices are going to happen when the ref makes a mistake. A ref's mistake is made in the heat of the moment and is the mistake of an honest man doing the best he can in a split second. The suits who run the game have no such excuse for building unfairness into the system.

The play-offs simply aren't fair. They are great drama, and money-spinners for the league, but one thing they are not is fair. And my view on that will not be altered if we go up.

Guest Harry May

Totally agree , Red Top. There must be a fairer way than the play-offs. I do n't even think the clubs make a great deal from it. I read in one of the papers ( can't remember which one ) that Palace and West Ham , after expenses and the FA take their cut , only stand to make £400,000 each. OK they make extra money from merchendise , but it still does n't seem a huge amount when you consider the sums at stake. I think the only winner is the FA - they keep the lion's share for themselves.

Caldicot Red.

I can't wait for Mr Poll to be in charge again at AG!!!!!

The last time (i think) he took charge was another last minute, no last SECOND great escape against Kingstonian in the FA Cup!! Tony Thorpe hooks in Tinmans corner to make it 1-1 and he blows for FT!

More escatcy (though not in the same way as a way as last Wed) and to a man the opposition left the pitch in tears!

They say things come along in 3's.......bring him on!

Guest Mad Mal (YTFC)
This ref we got worries me . He missed a blatent hand ball when he reffed us against Brighton and I do n't think he has the experience to handle such a big match. I work with a load of Hereford fans and they are still gutted about their play off defeat , caused by the ref sending off a Hereford player after 20 mins. The ref has since admitted that he "may" have made a mistake. A whole season down the drain and a squad now losing players , because of one bad decision. I just hope that the ref we have on sunday has a good game, he does n't make any mistakes and is fair.

Caldicot Red.

Hereford did not go out of the play-offs because of the ref. They went out because they could not score enough goals to win.

I was at the 1st leg and I am sure your Hereford friends forgot to tell you about the blatant pen Aldershot should have had that night (backed up by sky).

As I see it, over the two legs, Aldershot and hereford BOTH had decisions go against them.

Saying that, it is terrible that 21 points separated the sides. Still, that is the play-offs for you.

As for the Ref Sunday, he is the worst I have seen all season. I hope he is not as inept as the performance in which I witnessed him.

Anyway, as for Sunday, Come On You Reds - best of luck, you WILL do it.

Guest Harry May

And of course , being a Yeovil fan , you must love Hereford ! Seriously though , any team would struggle to win a play-off game with only 10 men.

The point I was trying to make , and the one you pointed out , is that having seen this ref once already this season , I do n't think he is up to the job of reffing such an important , high profile game. Why can 't we have a high profile premier league ref ,who is used to managing such a huge game infront of such a large crowd ? It does n't make sense.

Caldicot Red.

Archived