IGNORED

Dennis Dunford

ciderup

I'm a little surprised we haven't already done this TBH and please excuse me if I missed it.

I appreciate this guy was a gas 'ed through and through but surely, those of us that remember the late 80's / early 90's should repect his passing?

Yes, he was blue to the bone but he saw 'that lot' through what could be their darkest hour and ensured their survival.

He put us through many hours of pain but as a Bristolian, he supported a Bristol club, no matter now misguided his loyalties were. I wish there were more like him TBH.

Without his like, Bristol football and it's rivalries would be no more and I will respect his loyalty (misguided yet loyal) and I will mourn his passing.

Maybe he was their Dolman / Lansdown?

R.I.P Dennis Dunford, with respect from this City fan if no one else.

I dont wanna milk it too much.

Anything Rovers related often tends to churn the stomachs of us south of the river fans but its thanks to people like the Dunfords that so many smaller traditional clubs have survived (if not prospered in the modern game).

The hard slog & often thankless task of holdng a local club dear to your heart watching it struggle through many tough years, all to often providing it with vital life support to keep it afloat takes dedication and a whole lotta bottle.

Condolences to the Dunsford family, without your lot & for us the likes of 'our Harry' (Dolman) & currently the Lansdowns chances are we'd all be condemned to watching/supporting 'glamour' Premier League clubs owned and ran by foreign investment companies etc...

The priceless banter & rivalry created between local clubs & supporters of traditional clubs like ours cannot truly be experienced by the support of some of these 'plastic' clubs... its thanks to the Dolmans, Dunsfords, Lansdowns of this World that we in Bristol are still privaledged to have known, enjoyed sometimes suffered) the joy of such rivalry throughout our football supporting lives..

So cheers to you Dennis (thanks for the memories) RIP.

Do we have to do this everytime someone passes away just because its 'football related' ~This must be the 4th thread like this in recent weeks.

I find it all a bit morbid and insincere.

Oohh, you'll get a ban! But I agree with you.

Do we have to do this everytime someone passes away just because its 'football related' ~This must be the 4th thread like this in recent weeks.

I find it all a bit morbid and insincere.

Yes, there are tradgedys (Stansnsfield, Alexander ) but DD had a good innings and his time was obviously up, it's sad but it happens. I don't wish any ill on his family, far from it. But I think it is an "in house" thing and doesn't need our mass condolences.

I do get fed up with the "football family" overkill (re Gary Speed)and that most hackneyed of sayings..."puts it all into perspective":tumbleweed:

Hi chaps gashead here in peace - just wanted to say I think this thread is a really nice gesture, and I don't find it in any way insincere.

Don't remember the Les Key thing, but rest assured the vast majority of us (like you) are decent people and would never sing through any tribute.

Also, if Dunford didn't save us, I think you would find life empty without us Gasheads to take the p1ss (and vice versa of course!)

All the best,

The Gasman

Yes best wishes to his family and all that

However I can not help remembering the evening game after Les Kew passed away when Rovers fans started siging during the minutes silence held for Citys chairman.

Respect is a two way thing

This after a few of our morons sang songs about Micky Barrett in the previous derby. Youre right, respect is a two way thing.

However I can not help remembering the evening game after Les Kew passed away when Rovers fans started siging during the minutes silence held for Citys chairman.

It is Wickwar, however we are better than that.

Dunford was devoted to his club and should be remembered as such!

I do get fed up with the "football family" overkill (re Gary Speed)and that most hackneyed of sayings..."puts it all into perspective"

I have started to find the Gary Speed thing very tedious now. Very, very overplayed and over the top public mourning for his suicide. Even kid's matches were having a minutes silence a couple of weeks after he died.

I have known five people (directly and indirectly) over the years who have committed suicide (for reasons from drug abuse to retirement) and I have experienced first hand the intense sadness, shock, guilt and questions it generates. A friend's mother committed suicide when the kids were 14 and 16 and it ripped them apart.

Gary Speed has been made a demi-god but there has been little mention of what a mess he has left behind.

Les Kew is very much alive and kicking. Will make sure that I pass on your respects the next time I see him.

As for Dennis Dunford, met him just once - a very good, passionate (if obviously mis-guided) guy and of a type that fooball in general needs more of. Condolences to the blue quarter of Bristol.

Archived