IGNORED

Summer Departures

A Horse With No Name

Like everybody else on here, I am excited by the fact that so many players are out of contract in the summer and will be moved on, However, it does beg the question of whether they have the appetite for the fight if they know they won't be here next season anyway. You may say that professional pride will always ensure that they give 100%, but with the abject displays recently, I do wonder how many of them couldn't really give a flying fig. There is also a train of thought that says that if the club is relegated, they have more chance of being retained since League 1 will be better suited to their abilities. .

Why will they fight for the club, if they know they will probabaly be leaving??!

Very good point

The ones that are probably leaving, probably aren't playing with the exception of Maynard. Can't imagine DM playing players that he doesn't want to retain come the end of season.

I agree with a couple of points like 'are they really going to try hard if they could be leaving anyway' but i have to say that hoping we get relegated just so they have a better chance of being retained' idea is one of the most ridiculous things ever posted on this site ..:clapping:

Like everybody else on here, I am excited by the fact that so many players are out of contract in the summer and will be moved on, However, it does beg the question of whether they have the appetite for the fight if they know they won't be here next season anyway. You may say that professional pride will always ensure that they give 100%, but with the abject displays recently, I do wonder how many of them couldn't really give a flying fig. There is also a train of thought that says that if the club is relegated, they have more chance of being retained since League 1 will be better suited to their abilities. .

Unless they have a club already lined up to join when there contract with us ends i would think they would want to give there all when they play for us to show potential employees what they can do.

Maynard going on a free will certainly cost us!

Why....?? hes seen out his contract conditions, been paid what he was salaried, we were happy to spend 2.25 million on him for a 4 year contract and that times up.... That 2.25 millions been off set and written off and we will probably be saving 350k a year.

Well because they have more chance of getting a new club or a new deal if they play well and maintain their fitness. They might not care about us, but it makes sense for them financially to try hard. I'm not sure how many of them are in a position to retire on what they have already earned. David James probably doesn't need to play anymore but actually wants to. Nicky Hunt, an the rest of them probably need to play as long as they can.

For incentive to actually stay up if they don't care they don't care, not much we can do, but if they want a job and money, then they need to try. IMO

How can you say that when this current championship squad can't even beat two league 2 teams i.e Swindon and Crawley!!!

Why....?? hes seen out his contract conditions, been paid what he was salaried, we were happy to spend 2.25 million on him for a 4 year contract and that times up.... That 2.25 millions been off set and written off and we will probably be saving 350k a year.

We could have had 6 million for him in the summer! That's how it has cost us. We could get a whole new team for that!

Leicester City.

People still not educated on this?

There was no situation where we could have got any money from them because he did not want to go to them. That £6 million (or whatever it was) is irrelevant because he turned down the move. It could have been £2 million, or £10 million the money does not matter because he was not prepared to go there. There was no opportunity from our end to get this money because the player was not interested in a move. We have not lost out because there was never a viable deal there.

There is no opportunity cost, because there was no opportunity.

But had Maynard made his intentions to leave clear to us last summer we would have put him on the list back then and another club may have matched Leicesters offer

Oh I forgot, only players on the transfer list have bids put in for them....yeah... No. If someone else wanted to pay "£6 million" they could have done so at the time, or any time before that. do you honestly think being put on the transfer list is relevant at all?

We messed up because we did not give him a deadline, giving us a much much shorter window to actively try to sell him. Now even with that he would be perfectly within his rights to say he didnt want to sign again and sit out even two years worth of contract. But 2 years worth of being frozen out and actively disliked is IMO much much longer deal mentally and emotionally and much more likely to get a result than around 6 months. And he may have actually signed at that point too.

2 things looking at the size of our squad we need to cut back and NM well IF his goals kep us up thise season then he nay in the long run be worth letting go but i hope his attitude is better than that on saturday he didnt look interested and i am not usually one to run down him or any other city player

Let's hope the wage demands start dropping soon as well. Those listed by bangers surely must be some of the highest in the squad. I am sure we can get better on lower wages, this spending cap coming in will for the first time in a long time help with wages, I just wonder how many players will be holding out for one last big payday before the capping comes in though.

Will be a interesting transfer period over the summer.

We could have had 6 million for him in the summer! That's how it has cost us. We could get a whole new team for that!

Although what value would we place on staying in the Championship?

If NM stays until the summer and helps this happen then that's got to be worth something (albeit only 'on paper' granted).

Although what value would we place on staying in the Championship?

If NM stays until the summer and helps this happen then that's got to be worth something (albeit only 'on paper' granted).

But 6 Million to re-invest in the squad would surely see us higher in the table. Let us not forget that Southampton bought the league's hottest property for 1 million. In my opinion, we would have been better off cashingin in on NM in the summer, rather than now for a cut price.

But 6 Million to re-invest in the squad would surely see us higher in the table. Let us not forget that Southampton bought the league's hottest property for 1 million. In my opinion, we would have been better off cashingin in on NM in the summer, rather than now for a cut price.

All well and good, but you can't sell if the player does not want to go to the buying team.

The club took a gamble, they look like they have lost. They could have put him up for sale in the summer, but took a risk where they didn't know the outcome, hoping he would sign.

With hindsight they should of listed him and waited to see if offers came in.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

All well and good, but you can't sell if the player does not want to go to the buying team.

The club took a gamble, they look like they have lost. They could have put him up for sale in the summer, but took a risk where they didn't know the outcome, hoping he would sign.

With hindsight they should of listed him and waited to see if offers came in.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I thought it was common knowledge last summer that he didn't want to be here.

I thought it was common knowledge last summer that he didn't want to be here.

Not according to the board and Millen. They were all very hopeful of him signing the best contract in the history of the club! And were still hopeful after the window slamed shut and were still hopeful up until November. Now he is up for sale, but they are still hopeful he may sign a contract if he isn't sold this transfer window.

If our club are relying on hope we are knackered. Doesn't make good reading does it.

Archived