IGNORED

The Spl And Scottish National Team

The Hippo

I'm sure our Scottish friends could help us out here as to whats happened north of the border? The days of Laudrup, De Boer, Gazza and Larsson seem like lights years away in terms of talent as to whats currently being served up in the league. Hooper was an average Championship player at Scunny and now he's 2nd top scorer in the SPL!

Also apart from very few exceptions, a la Charlie Adam, there have hardly been any Scots coming down from the league that have done well in the Premier League. This surely must be having an affect on the national team that hasnt qualified for a major tournament since France 98 and is having to use the granny rule to get Englishmen playing for them?

Over and out.

I think it's down to two main factors: Money and a talent drought. The finances in the SPL and below are so bad that Aberdeen saw the £250k we paid for Foster as a sizeable fee and players like Sandaza are (Although only 6 months left on his contract) available for £300k.

The main factor of course is the absolute drought of proper talent coming through north of the border, I'm struggling to name a single world class Scottish player in the last 25 years!! Colin Hendry at a very very large push was a top class centre half but after that you've got to look back to the Denis Law, Kenny Dalglish and Graeme Souness era!

Certainly money is a huge factor. The relegated club in the Premier League gets about 20 times the TV money that the SPL champion receives and the SPL champion gets about 5 x what the relegated SPL club receives. That reduces ten fold in the league below.

Clubs in Scotland are having to operate as businesses now whereas clubs in England are (if the TV plug was pulled) still incredibly insolvent. Consequently clubs in Scotland cannot compete. I'd wager St Johnstone pay League 1 or League 2 money yet have produced a team who would be comfortable in the Championship.

As for the reduction in quality of the Scottish Player I actually think that's not quite true. Granted compared to 25/30 years ago it certainly has but I think the lack of finances in Scotland has helped the national team significantly and the future looks good for the national team now.

Our U21's look good, recently beating Holland on their own turf. We have guys coming through like Jordan Rhodes, James Forrest etc who will go onto great things in the game and we have a very large number of players plying their trade in the Premier League now (compared to 5/10 years ago). Almost our entire National team now plays for either the Old Firm or a Premier League team.

I'm optimistic about International football and I finally believe our domestic game is improving in standard. We're seeing youngsters now being cherry picked to Premier League teams almost every few months (Allan -> West Brom, Grimmer going to Fulham, Feruz joining Chelsea as well as youngsters already breaking through at Premier League clubs like Bannan, Hanley etc). It's not all doom and gloom.

I'm sure our Scottish friends could help us out here as to whats happened north of the border? The days of Laudrup, De Boer, Gazza and Larsson seem like lights years away in terms of talent as to whats currently being served up in the league. Hooper was an average Championship player at Scunny and now he's 2nd top scorer in the SPL!

Also apart from very few exceptions, a la Charlie Adam, there have hardly been any Scots coming down from the league that have done well in the Premier League. This surely must be having an affect on the national team that hasnt qualified for a major tournament since France 98 and is having to use the granny rule to get Englishmen playing for them?

Over and out.

The money went out the SPL in the early 90ties.Down to the cops putting the A.F derby on at noon,to stop the drinking and fighting.And so it could not be shown around the world at a decent time.And SPL lost the Sky deal,and got less money.BSBSKYB came in,and they went bust.So it lost even more money.SPL are still selling EPL clubs players,just recently Allan moved to WBA.Who is not even our best winger in the under 21 squad,after five games at Dundee Utd.And Grimmer signed for Fulham,after a couple off games.He has not even made the under 21 level.Bosman also played a large factor,in our game going down hill.In the old days Fergie and McLean at the new firm.Would tie guys down to nine year contracts,and make palyers out off them.And they won the SPL with Dons and Utd.They cant do that any more.As the first decent kid gets sold to England.Gordon is still the most expensive keeper from the UK,only injury has held him back.Hutton also moved for roughly the same price,Berra is at Wolves with S Fletcher.McFadden has played most his carer in EPL.free in the summer.Would be a great signing,if you could land him.Wigan and Wolves wanted him to.If they go down you might have a chance.Goodwillie is at Blackburn,hoping to stay in the team.Wilson signed for Liverpool,on loan at Blackpool now.Feruz signed for Chelsea in the summer,who is another kid set for a bright future.Caldwell,McArthur,even McCarthy who choose ROI over us.And Maloney are all at Wigan.Dorrans at WBA to,all signed from Scottish clubs.And I left out others that are in EPL,who came through systems there or signed from English team.At least we play our kids,down to having to.I would say our games not as bad as you lot make out.If it was why are you buying our players,and going for our managers?Killie,St Johnston,St Mirren,Motherwell,have all improved and are playing great football.Better football than my team Rangers.

Archived