IGNORED

Squad Size

samo II

All the talk about needing to shift out players got me thinking; how many do we actually have contracted to us (including out on loan and in on loan) right now?

Accounting for the recent ins/out (Lennox, Woods) we've got 37. Three of these are loans till the summer (Woods, Spence, McGiven) and four are out on loan (Stewart, Jackson, Ribs and Edwards, although only Stewart for the whole season).

Is this some sort of record? I compared it to some other Championship teams (not all mind) and turns out this pretty much close to the highest number anyone has.

Southampton also have 37, Forest have 30, Middlesborough have only 28 (including the bloke they are signing from Coventry), BHA have 24.

Now I'm not claiming this is authoritative, as I might have missed some youth players from other sides but not City, but is anyone else a little shocked at this?

Although I knew the squad was big I'd have thought other (usually ex-Prem) sides would have been carrying a hell of a lot more in terms of fringe players.

We need a squad of around 22 and a good few youngsters to go with that.

Goalkeeper x3 - James, Gerken, Carey - Maybe need to replace James due to age but he's been brilliant of late.

Centre Back x4 - Fontaine, Nyatanga, Wilson - New Signing

Full Backs x3 - Foster - McGivern - McCallister - Skuse could be the 2nd right back.

Holding Midfielders x2 - Cisse - Skuse/Elliot could play here

Centre Midfielders x4 - Elliot, Kilkenny, Pearson, New Signing

Wingers x3 - Adomah, new signing (left sided), Bolasie - Pearson can play here also

Striker x3 - Pitman, Wood on a perm maybe and another striker

That for me would be a good squad to have going into a new season if we can make those 5 signings and keep hold of Wood if he impresses and McGivern.

Then also you have 3 or 4 promising youngsters floating around.

Goalkeeper x3 - James, Gerken, Carey - Maybe need to replace James due to age but he's been brilliant of late.

Full Backs x3 - Foster - McGivern - McCallister - Skuse could be the 2nd right back.

Wingers x3 - Adomah, new signing (left sided), Bolasie - Pearson can play here also

That for me would be a good squad to have going into a new season if we can make those 5 signings and keep hold of Wood if he impresses and McGivern.

Looks good to me!

I agree in principle but I would say that squad now looks too small. Not enough depth if we get injuries.

I agree in principle but I would say that squad now looks too small. Not enough depth if we get injuries.

Dont forget players like Foster, Skuse and Pearson can play in more than 1 position, especially Foster.

All depends on the formation Del wants to play mainly, 4-4-2 we'd need 4 strikers but 4-5-1 we would need 3 with perhaps a very young player being the 4th.

I rather us have a big squad for 6 months and survie instead of cutting and balancing and get relegated,

It looks like the board agree too, it will be much more costly to go down,

oh and I think the avg squad size in the championship is 35

Smaller squads form a better team spirit.

Also i'm on about trimming the squad in the summer, not now.

Smaller squads form a better team spirit.

and i agree but we don't have good enough players to make sure we pull clear hence us signing player at the moment,

Remember we have 37 of those 12 are out of contract brings it down to 25 (including first year pros like booby reid and Joe Edwards),

Its a simple case of this at the moment do we want to strengthen and hlep our cause of staying up,

Or do we want to keep the same players or even reduce that now and hinder the cause of staying up?

and i agree but we don't have good enough players to make sure we pull clear hence us signing player at the moment,

Remember we have 37 of those 12 are out of contract brings it down to 25 (including first year pros like booby reid and Joe Edwards),

Its a simple case of this at the moment do we want to strengthen and hlep our cause of staying up,

Or do we want to keep the same players or even reduce that now and hinder the cause of staying up?

Which is why I said i'm talking about reducing the numbers heavily in the summer.

Archived