IGNORED

Goalkeepers

cheshire_red

Read recently that James would like to extend his stay at AG which with his recent improved form wouldn't be a bad thing depending on the cost of any new contract, we surely cannot continue to pay anywhere near the reputed remuneration and bonus structure he is rumoured to be on.

Gerkin doesn't appear to be of the quality required to be the no.1 far too many mistakes even when he was first choice and therefore getting plenty of match practice.

I alluded to a 'keeper in a recent post on the Foster thread who is soon to finish a short term contract at Blackpool and has been covering for Gilks in recent weeks due to injury. He has received rave reviews from their supporters who want to keep him at the club. 'Pools infamously tight fited Chairman appears to be holding back on offering an extended contract Today's Blackpool Gazette and Hollaway ain't happy.

He's a former Aberdeen keeper so both Del and our new signing will know him well........

I think we are missing a trick here....with some1 with as much experience as DJ at number 1...would be ideal to have a 20-21 year old keeper on the bench learning from him closely.

For me Gerkin is the right man for this...not seen too much of Carey but I think signing a young keeper would be a good move whilst we have Jamo.

I think we are missing a trick here....with some1 with as much experience as DJ at number 1...would be ideal to have a 20-21 year old keeper on the bench learning from him closely.

For me Gerkin is the right man for this...not seen too much of Carey but I think signing a young keeper would be a good move whilst we have Jamo.

Why on earth does it matter if the young keeper is on the bench or in the stands? The benefits are reaped, if indeed there are any in training.

Agreed - can't comment on whether Gerken's up to the job, not seen him enough but he doesn't seem to have too many fans on here. Letting that lad Henderson go to Pompy was a bl00dy mistake, though, I'm sure.

Agreed - can't comment on whether Gerken's up to the job, not seen him enough but he doesn't seem to have too many fans on here. Letting that lad Henderson go to Pompy was a bl00dy mistake, though, I'm sure.

I believe we wanted to keep Henderson but he wanted to go....

I;ve seen this Howard a few times and he i good, very very good and Pool supporters dont want him to go LINK

James will be 42, yes 42, next season. And he has been woeful in large parts of the season, thus far, making some awful clangers. A brief run of form and everyone appears to think that he is god like again. Shame that kind of reappraisal isnt afforded to other players in the team?

However I think he should go at the end of the season, if he wants to carry on playing, Im sure Exeter wouldnt say no for a season. We can then get to business of having a decent goalkeeping situation rather than the laughable one we have at present.

They have been skuse for one

James will be 42, yes 42, next season. And he has been woeful in large parts of the season, thus far, making some awful clangers. A brief run of form and everyone appears to think that he is god like again. Shame that kind of reappraisal isnt afforded to other players in the team?

Agree, the guy has made a lot of the most basic of mistakes you would be unhappy with a young keeper making. For instance always pushing the ball back into the box. I don't know if it is because his reflexes are lowering, or he is just getting slower, but some of the poor keeping is unforgivable for a guy with his experience. He has got better of late, but he did the same last season, just makes you wonder how much effort he puts in in the close season and pre season.

For me if he stays then it has to be on a massively lower contract. We need to find a new no 1 in my opinion.

However I think he should go at the end of the season, if he wants to carry on playing, Im sure Exeter wouldnt say no for a season. We can then get to business of having a decent goalkeeping situation rather than the laughable one we have at present.

I would say Carey and Pearson have been afforded that "Reappraisal".

I don't think anyone else deserves it do they? Who exactly was you alluding to?

I would think McInnes will be looking at the goalkeeping situation, James can't go on forever despite his recent good form

Didnt think that Carey had been pillored for being crap this season, posts on here seemed to give him credit for the Blackpool debacle . Cant remember if he was slated after the Reading Game. or not though. Before that posts have questioned his age, the offer of a contract etc and performances last year. but nowt from memory regarding this seasons indian summer?

Pearson, has been re appraised? Pre signing there was lot of discussion saying he was pants (myself included) but while he has been here, people have said he is hot and cold, but cant think of him being turned from Villain to Hero in the same way that James has.

In response to your final point, I wasnt referring to anyone specifically, more players who are part of the same tight defence and get cack all in the way of credit, say I dunno Nyatanga, who quite a few still think that he is rubbish despite being part of the same defence and doesnt get the adulation that the others get, even though he is part of that self same defence, that kind of thing. There seems to be a very lucid flip flopping between vilifying a player for being crap after a bad performance or performances, and then god like after a small run of good form. No consistancy in what has been said. No doubt if James plays rubbish again for the next two, it will be back to he's rubbish and should be put out to pasture.

Sometimes its like a hyper active toddler on here.

I honestly must have missed all the threads where James has been made a hero.... I think Carey had been written off by alot of people, I myself wasn't sure whether he could improve our defence on his return. He has so far IMO and certainly filled the void left by Fontaines most recent injury.

Pearson, as you said was written off before he signed and deserves credit, he has been as good as anyone in our team recently.

Oh, and your last comment as amusing as it was unnecessary.

All agreed. This is dumb to think that we should have him again nextseason. Weakest link in the starting 11 and not worth the high wage. He can have a low wage and be backup/goalie coach at most next season?

We need a consistant performer who can stay with us on the long run as no:1.

Give it a few weeks and people will be back to slagging him off as per usual.

All agreed. This is dumb to think that we should have him again nextseason. Weakest link in the starting 11 and not worth the high wage. He can have a low wage and be backup/goalie coach at most next season?

We need a consistant performer who can stay with us on the long run as no:1.

Give it a few weeks and people will be back to slagging him off as per usual.

We need a new keeper for next season IMO but to suggest David James is the weakest link in the starting 11 is quite frankly, comical.

Who else has cost us more this season?

Equally you could say who has saved us more this season?

Clearly our inability to score goals has cost us more. We have only scored 23 all season, only the bottom 3 have scored less.

Take out the Blackpool debacle where the players had clearly given up playing for Millen and our goals against column is not bad to be honest.

Goalkeeper is an important position and Derek McInnes doesnt seem the type of bloke to pick players on reputation. If he felt David James was the worst player in our team, he would have been out in a flash IMO.

Hate all this goalkeeper chat, we had a quality player and we let him go..

Stephen Henderson asks to go out on loan to get match experience, ends up picking up 4 player of the year awards!

I think that is enough to give the former Ireland U'21 keeper the number one spot ahead of a 41 year old, but no, we offer him a contract as a back up (behind Gerks)..

And to rub it in he now starts for championship rivals Portsmouth.. We can all discuss possibly goalkeepers but we had a quality one and we let him go. Our loss, hope he gets in as 3rd choice keeper for Ireland in Euro2012.

Cammy Bell would be a good keeper for Bristol City.He reminds me off a young Alan McGregor.He is probably better than Marshall the Cardiff keeper.Who had the potential to be a great keeper,when he was coming through at Celtic as a kid.McInnes had Enkleman at St Johnstone,and SPL and Championship probably is his level now.And I think his deals up in the summer.So he will no doubt be your new keeper.And you wont need to pay anything,like you would do for Bell.

Archived