IGNORED

Fontaine Believes.. So Must Every Fan...

Ricardo 'Livi' Red

Being exiled in Scotland, I get to keep in touch with My CIty via family and OTIB..

Yes today didn't sound the best game, but as with his tenure in Scotland McInnes will turn the club around.

The comments by Fontaine speak volumes...

It's going to be a roller coaster ride to get to safety, but hold on believe in McInnes and the future will be bright.

Fontaine, who nearly left Ashton Gate to join Southampton last summer, revealed the part played by McInnes in persuading him to stay in Bristol.

"In the end, it was an easy decision to make because the manager's ambition matched my own," said Fontaine, who is still recovering from the knee injury that has kept him out of action since Boxing Day.

"I was impressed with Derek McInnes from the moment he arrived. Training has been fresh and enjoyable, the lads have responded to his ideas and methods and things are changing for the better within the club.

"I sat down and spoke to him about the future and I liked what I heard. He has big plans for the club and I can see Bristol City going places in the next couple of seasons.

"He talked to me about his plans for the team next summer and I decided his vision for the future was something I wanted to buy into. He was a massive influence in my decision to sign a new deal.

"I'm sure we can pull clear of trouble and retain our Championship status this year and then build for something better the following season. I'm genuinely excited about the future here."

Of his aborted move to Southampton last August – City accepted a bid of £800,000 from Saints for the talented centre-back, only for the deal to fall through when Fontaine failed a medical – he said: "I was very close to leaving the club back then.

"It was a difficult time for me, because the move did not happen for whatever reason and then I was injured and unable to play for a couple of months.

"I was just sitting around with time on my hands and dwelling on what had happened. But I believe these things happen for a reason and I'm just looking to the future now that everything has been sorted out."

Fontaine and McInnes have clearly been good for one another. The Scot recalled the Londoner to the starting line-up as soon as he took charge in mid-October and he rewarded the Scot with a series of outstanding performances as City embarked upon a six-match run.

Lost count of the times players have been impressed with a manager's plans. Kilkenny said the same of Millen for Pete's sake; did anybody believe a word of it?. It roughly translates as "I'm impressed with the contract they've offered me." Sorry but hard not to be cynical about modern players. We shall see.

Archived