IGNORED

Why Are We Playing 4-4-2 Again?!

Super Scotty Murray

I am a fan of Derek McInnes but his team selections recently have been quite interesting to say the least.

I didn't go to the Crawley game but saw Millwall and Brighton games and in both we played 4-4-2 and in both we were awful.

4-4-2 does not work with our players, it exposes our defence and we cannot keep possession of the ball.

When Derek first joined we played 4-5-1 with Cisse holding, allowing Marvin and Kilkenny to push high up the pitch and allowing our wingers freedom and it worked - I just don't understand why he has changed it!

I feel like it is mainly because he wants to play 4-5-1 but does not want to drop Maynard so he is trying to play a formation to fit him in - which I think is wrong if this is the case.

Now we have Wood we have a perfect player to play in a 4-5-1 - it does not have to be negative as long as you play high up the pitch and close down, taking advantage of the extra body in Midfield.

If he really doesn't want to drop Maynard he could play on the left in a 4-5-1, he has done it before, but personally I would drop him on recent performances.

My advice would be get Cisse in, get back to playing the way we did when Derek first joined and we will be ok.

We still need a creative midfielder and a dominating centre back but with the players we have, there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to stay up.

I am a fan of Derek McInnes but his team selections recently have been quite interesting to say the least.

I didn't go to the Crawley game but saw Millwall and Brighton games and in both we played 4-4-2 and in both we were awful.

4-4-2 does not work with our players, it exposes our defence and we cannot keep possession of the ball.

When Derek first joined we played 4-5-1 with Cisse holding, allowing Marvin and Kilkenny to push high up the pitch and allowing our wingers freedom and it worked - I just don't understand why he has changed it!

I feel like it is mainly because he wants to play 4-5-1 but does not want to drop Maynard so he is trying to play a formation to fit him in - which I think is wrong if this is the case.

Now we have Wood we have a perfect player to play in a 4-5-1 - it does not have to be negative as long as you play high up the pitch and close down, taking advantage of the extra body in Midfield.

If he really doesn't want to drop Maynard he could play on the left in a 4-5-1, he has done it before, but personally I would drop him on recent performances.

My advice would be get Cisse in, get back to playing the way we did when Derek first joined and we will be ok.

We still need a creative midfielder and a dominating centre back but with the players we have, there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to stay up.

top post

It was particularly surprising to see 4-4-2 deployed in an away match against decent ball-playing opposition, although not being there myself I'm unsure as to how they actually lined up. Did we have any wingers or was it a very narrow formation, considering that 3 of the starting midfielders like to play centrally and Woolford is hardly a "traditional" winger.

The only reasons I can think of for playing 4-4-2 are that our 4-5-1 system has been worked out, but that's fine in a tough away game where we should look first to stifle and only worry about creativity as a secondary measure, or to involve Pitman as he cannot play as a lone striker. To play 2 up front and not involve Pitman is baffling to me.

Archived