IGNORED

David James - Olympic Gk ?

Tim S

191 players have been asked if they will be available for the GB Olympic Football Team.

The squad will be made up of Under 23s, but rules state that three players can be over 23 with David Beckham and Ryan Giggs thought to be making up the first two. I just wonder if David James might fancy one last international crack, all be it not with England but with Great Britain.

191 players have been asked if they will be available for the GB Olympic Football Team.

The squad will be made up of Under 23s, but rules state that three players can be over 23 with David Beckham and Ryan Giggs thought to be making up the first two. I just wonder if David James might fancy one last international crack, all be it not with England but with Great Britain.

I bet he would jump at the chance - but I can't see him being one of the over 23's. More likely Bale, Hart and Rooney, surely?

I bet he would jump at the chance - but I can't see him being one of the over 23's. More likely Bale, Hart and Rooney, surely?

Hart & Rooney will be at the Euros. Bale probably wont play because the Welsh & Scottish FAs are being funny about their players being involved.

I want an experienced spine to the team made up of players currently playing at the highest possible level. We need to see the England Euro team though, before we can pick the leftovers.

If David Beckham gets picked, I won't watch the Olympics. Because if you pick someone on fame, not ability, it destroys the Olympic spirit, for me.

I want an experienced spine to the team made up of players currently playing at the highest possible level. We need to see the England Euro team though, before we can pick the leftovers.

If David Beckham gets picked, I won't watch the Olympics. Because if you pick someone on fame, not ability, it destroys the Olympic spirit, for me.

He clearly isn't a bad footballer though! It is not like we are picking Jedward!!

I'm sure if Beckham is picked, it will be on his ability and passion. Not because he is a celebrity as a result of being a good footballer. It would be great to see jamo in the team! I can't think I anyone better who isn't going to the euros. Let's let becks giggsy and jamo fly the flag! I think with these 3 boys we will do better than we will in the euros!

What a joke of a competition.

You'd think that ANY Olympic sport would want the world's best.

Totally contrived. Total nonsense.

What a joke of a competition.

You'd think that ANY Olympic sport would want the world's best.

Totally contrived. Total nonsense.

It's an international under 23 competition. The rule about 3 players over 35 ruins it though. Countries outside europe take it seriously as part of their players' development. As it clashes with Euros, it tends to be overlooked by Europeans.

It's an international under 23 competition. The rule about 3 players over 35 ruins it though. Countries outside europe take it seriously as part of their players' development. As it clashes with Euros, it tends to be overlooked by Europeans.

Why? Imagine if other sports did the same. Sir Steve Redgrave would still be plain 'Steve'.

Shouldn't be in the Olympics if there are restrictions.

Are you trying to imply that David Beckham is no good?! Dear god do you know nothing? What a stupid thing to say. Probably the most iconic footballer of the last ten years and who I believe could still do the business in any team. He may not have the pace as he once did, but his passing and dead ball delivery is still second to none!

Are you trying to imply that David Beckham is no good?! Dear god do you know nothing? What a stupid thing to say. Probably the most iconic footballer of the last ten years and who I believe could still do the business in any team. He may not have the pace as he once did, but his passing and dead ball delivery is still second to none!

Spot on there mate. The bloke still has ability and to say he doesn't is just stupid. He has been a great servant to our country and deserves one last hurrah as a previous post mentioned. He deserves it on ability alone and his experience and professionalism towards the younger players can only be of benefit.

correct me if I'm wrong but pretty sure becks didn't even have pace at man utd.

I would say Beckham right now would be in a similar shape & fitness level to when Paul Hartley joined us. While his pace (not that he had much anyway) had pretty much deserted him there was no doubting he still had the ability, skill and desire to influence games. We certaintly missed him when he was out of the team and we have missed him since he left.

So in short - can Beckham still do a job? Yes he can. I would have him in my team any day of the week.

Spot on there mate. The bloke still has ability and to say he doesn't is just stupid. He has been a great servant to our country and deserves one last hurrah as a previous post mentioned. He deserves it on ability alone and his experience and professionalism towards the younger players can only be of benefit.

He does not deserve it on ability and that's the only thing that a team should be picked on. To pick any squad including him to give him a last hurrah is disgusting, and thoroughly undermines the other people who have worked so hard to go to the olympics. They've had to be the best at what they do, and if he gets picked, he hasn't. It kills the olympic spirit. It would be a disgrace.

Now there's perfectly valid arguments which i support about sports where it's not the most important event in the year not being there, tennis, golf, rugby, etc. But once you pick a sport, you pick the best people who want to go. I can't imagine a situation where every other player who's over 23, who's better than him NOW and that's the key thing, NOW, has said they don't want to go.

A friendly match for one of Englands most capped players, you could maybe say is an acceptable way for him to get his last hurrah, although i'd say his last hurrah was his last 20 England caps or so. But a competitive tournament? Where you deliberately lessen your chance of winning, to give a player who does not deserve to go another opportunity, would be sickening.

If every other over 23 player who's better turns it down, then fine, I'd have no issues with it. But if he gets to go because he's David Beckham, that is an absolute scandal.

You want him to help younger players? He can do that outside of the squad.

For people being stupid, I'm not saying he's bad, but there are so so many players who are better deserving on current ability.

When was the last time you saw him play?

He would not, nor has he ever been, been picked on fame. He was a great footballer, and although it's hard to judge playing the teams he plays against, he hasn't lost the attributes that made him so great.

EDIT: I also think it's great that we have a team. Why shouldn't we? There are plenty of events with stipulations, so football should be no different.

He does not deserve it on ability and that's the only thing that a team should be picked on. To pick any squad including him to give him a last hurrah is disgusting, and thoroughly undermines the other people who have worked so hard to go to the olympics. They've had to be the best at what they do, and if he gets picked, he hasn't. It kills the olympic spirit. It would be a disgrace.

Now there's perfectly valid arguments which i support about sports where it's not the most important event in the year not being there, tennis, golf, rugby, etc. But once you pick a sport, you pick the best people who want to go. I can't imagine a situation where every other player who's over 23, who's better than him NOW and that's the key thing, NOW, has said they don't want to go.

A friendly match for one of Englands most capped players, you could maybe say is an acceptable way for him to get his last hurrah, although i'd say his last hurrah was his last 20 England caps or so. But a competitive tournament? Where you deliberately lessen your chance of winning, to give a player who does not deserve to go another opportunity, would be sickening.

If every other over 23 player who's better turns it down, then fine, I'd have no issues with it. But if he gets to go because he's David Beckham, that is an absolute scandal.

For people being stupid, I'm not saying he's bad, but there are so so many players who are better deserving on current ability.

No player has worked hard for the Olympics! They work had for clubs, for Euro's, world cups, champions leagues etc. This is the first time in ages we are entering a team, so he isn't undermining any other players. He would not kill the Olympic spirit, quite the opposite. Not only would many countries watch due to him, which would only be a benefit, but their will also be no prouder player on the pitch. If he was captain, which he should be, then he would be the most proudest man in the Olympics, and he will always give 100%!!

He deserves his chance in the Olympics, the same as any other player, and he still is a very valuable player!

You mention so so many other players, would you care to name them?

I now live in the U.S and have seen becks play in the MLS a lot last season, and im telling you he still has it!! He is a class above the MLS!!

His passing,Crossing, Shooting is still up there with the best in the world!! And in my opinion he could still do a job for England and a team in the Prem!!

What is it with our country that as soon as you reach a certain age you are no good anymore!!

Look at other top National teams, they still play older players!!

Who?

How often do you watch him?

He was just offered an 18 month contract by PSG, a team that I watched on Saturday night, and trust me they are no mugs. Taking aside the obvious commercial advantages, you think that you know better than them and Carlo Ancelotti? (Who also took him to Milan).

Your post smacks of you being one of those people who always hates something when it becomes popular, for no rational reason.

When was the last time you saw him play?

He would not, nor has he ever been, been picked on fame. He was a great footballer, and although it's hard to judge playing the teams he plays against, he hasn't lost the attributes that made him so great.

EDIT: I also think it's great that we have a team. Why shouldn't we? There are plenty of events with stipulations, so football should be no different.

There's very few if any other age restricted tournaments in the olympics. It's usually the best people at the chosen sport. You could argue boxing, but amateur and professional boxing are different codes. That's why football is even more of a bizarre Olympic sport compare to others.

I last saw Beckham play in the MLS cup final. He wasn't fit, played poorly but had a contribution in the winning goal. When did you last see him performing at a high level?

There are much more than 3 over 23s, who currently perform at a much higher level every week, to a much higher standard who are British qualified who aren't going to the Euros most likely, who deserve to go more than he does. Because ability is all that matters here.

No player has worked hard for the Olympics! They work had for clubs, for Euro's, world cups, champions leagues etc. This is the first time in ages we are entering a team, so he isn't undermining any other players. He would not kill the Olympic spirit, quite the opposite. Not only would many countries watch due to him, which would only be a benefit, but their will also be no prouder player on the pitch. If he was captain, which he should be, then he would be the most proudest man in the Olympics, and he will always give 100%!!

He deserves his chance in the Olympics, the same as any other player, and he still is a very valuable player!

You mention so so many other players, would you care to name them?

No he's undermining the other athletes, that includes other sports.

He absolutely deserves his chance as much as anyone else, purely base on ability, and if he's selected on that fine. But other players are better now, playing at a higher level.

Edit - I'm currently hampered by the boards spamming rules, i will get back to everyone and give you a long list of better players.

No he's undermining the other athletes, that includes other sports.

He absolutely deserves his chance as much as anyone else, purely base on ability, and if he's selected on that fine. But other players are better now, playing at a higher level.

How is he undermining other athletes? Surely all footballers are?

Please name what players are better now?

He hasn't got a current club, so even downs players are playing at a higher level! laughcont.gif

Who?

How often do you watch him?

He was just offered an 18 month contract by PSG, a team that I watched on Saturday night, and trust me they are no mugs. Taking aside the obvious commercial advantages, you think that you know better than them and Carlo Ancelotti? (Who also took him to Milan).

Your post smacks of you being one of those people who always hates something when it becomes popular, for no rational reason.

It would have been purely a commercial deal, Ancelotti wasn't in charge when he was offered it, shows how much you know about the situation there.

I don't hate Beckham, poor assumption. he's just not in the top three players over 23 by a long stretch.

Archived