IGNORED

Funniest Memory At The Gate

redsquirrel

Back in the seventies QPR were at AG. Stan Bowles went to take a corner in front of the East End next to the Dolman. That week Bowles' wife had left him over his gambling and drinking problems. Almost as one, the East End started singing -

"where's your wife gonewhere's your wife gonewhere's your wife gone Stanles Bowles"

On hearing this, Bowles looked up into the crowd, shrugged his shoulders and said "I dunno"

Not sure I've ever heard an opposing player cheered so much.

I think one of the funniest things i remember was when we played Chelsea in a Pre season friendly 1995/96 season

Denis Wise was taking a corner by the Dolman / Atyeo (he got arrested for assualting a taxi driver a few weeks earlier i know that bit ain't funny) City fan's in the Atyeo sung 'did you come in a Taxi' he almost miskicked the ball !!! He stopped, laughed and waved at us all with that cheeky grin on his face EVERYBODY cheered him :clapping:

This was also the game when Ian Baird completley miskicked in front of Goal with just the keeper in front of him, we all laughed at him and he gave us the one fingered salute, prompting Joe Jordan to subsitute him, he was then given barrage of abuse by everyone in the Atyeo, Jordan put him straight on the Transfer List and he never played for us again ****head :bruce_h4h:

The mascot fight is probably the clear favorite for me. Perhaps not the funniest moment that springs to mind as well is about 5 years ago in a pre season friendly at AG where someone hoofed the ball so high it went onto the roof of the Williams but then rolled off and landed perfectly on top of a photographers head much to his suprise

The mascot fight is probably the clear favorite for me. Perhaps not the funniest moment that springs to mind as well is about 5 years ago in a pre season friendly at AG where someone hoofed the ball so high it went onto the roof of the Williams but then rolled off and landed perfectly on top of a photographers head much to his suprise

This was frickin hilarious. If i remember he game it a pat too.

Also a couple of seasons ago when the ball was launched in the air by a keeper, lee johnson was sprinting to get on to it, and when he got there it bounced agonisingly over his head and the whole ground roared with laughter. Comedy gold.

I think one of the funniest things i remember was when we played Chelsea in a Pre season friendly 1995/96 season

Denis Wise was taking a corner by the Dolman / Atyeo (he got arrested for assualting a taxi driver a few weeks earlier i know that bit ain't funny) City fan's in the Atyeo sung 'did you come in a Taxi' he almost miskicked the ball !!! He stopped, laughed and waved at us all with that cheeky grin on his face EVERYBODY cheered him :clapping:

This was also the game when Ian Baird completley miskicked in front of Goal with just the keeper in front of him, we all laughed at him and he gave us the one fingered salute, prompting Joe Jordan to subsitute him, he was then given barrage of abuse by everyone in the Atyeo, Jordan put him straight on the Transfer List and he never played for us again ****head :bruce_h4h:

I remember this game, Ruud Gullit had just signed for them and he played in this game. If i remember correctly wasnt there a streaker chasing after dennis wise too in this match?

I remember this game, Ruud Gullit had just signed for them and he played in this game. If i remember correctly wasnt there a streaker chasing after dennis wise too in this match?

i remember a streaker this game for sure - but ian baird, i thought the game he flipped a finger to the fans was sarfend away at the start of that season?? the thinking button is blocked today mind :tumbleweed:

the result wasnt funny but when we lost to cardiff a couple of seasons ago they handed out free programs some were thrown at michael chopra but towards the end most in the dolman decided to c how far there paper aeroplane could fly instead of watching the match ha ha

not the funnist but deffo up there looking bac at it

Mascot fight no.1 but another moment will stay with me forever. Back in theearly 90's I used to stand in the eastend behind the goal, my mate had turned to me to light his fag and when he turned back towards the pitch with his fag hanging out of his mouth, Alan Walsh ( i think ) blasted a shot over the bar and hit my mate straight in the kisser sending his benson flying and giving him a nose bleed.... i almost soiled myself laughing so much

All of the funniest moments at Ashton Gate happened in the corner of the old Enclosure by the East End in the mid 80's. The best was during a game played over Christmas against Brighton when 2 particularly drunk and large-chested blonde ladies treated us all to repeated views of their ample charms! and we won 5-2!

Also the regular winding up of opposition players was great. I remember Gillingham's Carl Airey and a bald Blackpool keeper getting spectacular abuse and responding with a flick of the V's

We had a preview in a packed Ship and Castle before the game that went down very well with the locals laughcont.gif

I think one of them was from Bristol who was celebrating her birthday and the other was her mate who was in the Norwegian police force! Seem to remember they tried to get in another match after that, but the stewards spotted who they were after the story got splashed in the Sun newspaper and wouldn't let them in.

There was a big "no standing" initiative in the dolman a few seasons ago and they printed a load of leaflets that got left at the back of the B-block...

We spent most of the game making paper aeroplanes and in a drab and dreary game (shock) the biggest cheer was when one of the Planes reached the pitch!!

Tickled me anyway...

They handed out free programmes when we got battered by Cardiff 6-0, I got annoyed that Chopra kept scoring and vented my frustration by making a paper airplane with the programme (why would I want a reminder of that game?)..

It soon caught on and everyone was throwing them from top of the Dolman! It was mine that reached the pitch - almost the half way line too!

I think up until a season ago, a female steward in the Williams looked just like a certain female off the 80's kids programme 'Rainbow'

A group of lads in front of me used to sing at her every game 'Rod, Jane and Freddy' , 'Rod, Jane and Freddy' 'Rod, Jane and Freeeeddy'

She never did see the funny side of it

Two stand out in my mind - both in the 1970's, and both involve half time "entertainment". The first was Llama's being brought into the ground. Bowyers were sponsoring the game and some girls had been throwing pies into the crowd just before the llamas appeared. As these shy retiring nervous animals appeared and were walked toward the East End, the bloke on the PA suggested that the crowd kep quiet. Not a bloody hope in hell! As soon as they were in range they were met with a hail of Bowyers most stale and the llamas pegged it back toward the Park End leaving evidence of their nervousness up the length of the pitch. The other involved a Police Dog display. At the end, the alsatian (decked in red) had to chase the Policeman (decked out in sky blue - like our Coventry City opponents). The dog was let loose and a roar went up from the crowd - which seemed to confuse the dog. The roar got even louder when the dog fetched the poor cop down by his unprotected arm (much to everyone's delight). No idea what happened about the cops arm or indeed his dog

I remember the incident with the police dog very well, was reading through the thread to post that myself, probably one the funniest thing i have seen in all my years going down the gate! For some reason though i thought we were playing Aston Villa in the cup? probably wrong but very funny anyway!

A Tuesday nigh v tranmere. There was a rather large gent at the front of the away end who got stick from the word go. He got rather upset and as he walked out he was treated to "we can see you rolling out"

Not Ashton Gate, but I went to Mangos v Forest Green a couple of years ago for an FA cup game.

Fgr were winning and their keeper had a right smug grin toward the home fans, Tompo of this very forum shouted "maybe you'll get to play for the first team next week". Smug grin gone, I actually thought the lad was gonna cry.

Back in the seventies QPR were at AG. Stan Bowles went to take a corner in front of the East End next to the Dolman. That week Bowles' wife had left him over his gambling and drinking problems. Almost as one, the East End started singing -

"where's your wife gonewhere's your wife gonewhere's your wife gone Stanles Bowles"

On hearing this, Bowles looked up into the crowd, shrugged his shoulders and said "I dunno"

Not sure I've ever heard an opposing player cheered so much.

That was the one...I was in the EE with dad and we roared........so bloody funny!!

Stanley where's your wife gone! Stanley where's your wife gone..!.

Bit you missed was he broke his leg about twenty minutes later in a tackle....No chants of bring on the dustbin (it was a different age PC boys) for Stan!

Bless him!

They handed out free programmes when we got battered by Cardiff 6-0, I got annoyed that Chopra kept scoring and vented my frustration by making a paper airplane with the programme (why would I want a reminder of that game?)..

It soon caught on and everyone was throwing them from top of the Dolman! It was mine that reached the pitch - almost the half way line too!

The planes were the only highlight of that game!

I'll pass on one funny incident which my dad witnessed sometime in the 1960s at Ashton Gate.

He used to stand a row back from a noisy gent who had a glass eye.

After one particularly crap display by a ref, this character moved to the pitchside, removed said eye and rolled it onto the turf.

"Yur ref, see if thee can see a bit better wiv 'ee!"

Cardiff away a couple of seasons ago when we lost 2-1.....bloke in the stand to the left (this was at Ninian Park) had a pink jumper on. He tried to give it the big un very earlier....then literally had 90 minutes (plus after the game) of abuse over his jumper and sexuality (not that I condone homophobic chants - before anyone jumps on my comment)

the result wasnt funny but when we lost to cardiff a couple of seasons ago they handed out free programs some were thrown at michael chopra but towards the end most in the dolman decided to c how far there paper aeroplane could fly instead of watching the match ha ha

not the funnist but deffo up there looking bac at it

Strangely one of the most enjoyable nights at the Gate. Lost 6-0, the writing was pretty much on the wall for GJ, but the game was lost so early that you couldn't help but try to enjoy yourself.

Hardly anyone left early either.

I remember away to Wycombe when Joe Burnell and Christian Roberts did the two worst dives in history. But at half time some young kid was in goal called "Broomhead" I can't remember the chants we were signing, but I remember it being hilarious.

Strangely one of the most enjoyable nights at the Gate. Lost 6-0, the writing was pretty much on the wall for GJ, but the game was lost so early that you couldn't help but try to enjoy yourself.

Hardly anyone left early either.

It was a very strange game - and in a perverse way I sort of agree with you - the gallows humour that was eminating from Dullmoan D block was hilarious.

Wasn't that the game that someone kicked their shoe onto the pitch as well?

The Crapdiff chants of "Johnson for England" was also pretty funny that night.

It was a very strange game - and in a perverse way I sort of agree with you - the gallows humour that was eminating from Dullmoan D block was hilarious.

Wasn't that the game that someone kicked their shoe onto the pitch as well?

The Crapdiff chants of "Johnson for England" was also pretty funny that night.

weren't there some chants of "let's pretend we scored a goal" too?:laughcont:

Archived