IGNORED

Saunders... The New Colin

slartibartfast

A straight red every time, and for Saunders to even attempt to defend it I find extraordinary.

Having spent so much time in court for the Paul Elliot hearing you would have thought that Dean Saunders of all people would know by now why reckless challenges (they're not tackles) like Beye's need to be eradicated ... they can finish a player's career. Elliot lost his claim but the risk attendant on two-footed lunges is obvious.

Sticking up for his players, that's good in a manager, do you see Wenger agree with any sending off, i would expect our manager to do the same. Then you deal with internally and fine him without the press knowing, simple as that.

I would not expect any Bristol City manager to defend that tackle. I'd expect him to say it was an atrocious tackle and that the player will be getting fined for a reckless tackle and getting sent off.

I was sat in the Atyeo almost in line with the tackle. It was awful. We are lucky that Skuse isn't nursing a broken fibula or two.

I think it was the jump that did for Beye, as soon as you jump in you are asking for trouble, i think he was just caught out a bit by Skuse, Beye thought he was going to get there and be able to make an easy challenge, but Skuse got there quicker than he expected hence the jump, but as soon as you do that you run the risk of getting a red.

Much like Kompanys, by the letter of the law its a straight red, so the ref can't take too much stick, but i would rather it wasn't as football is a contact sport and hard challenges have a place in the game and we are in danger of erradicating some of the best parts of the game.

I can understand the call for Safety, but it seems a bit skewed, Bycycle kicks are allowed, which are infinately more dangerous than any 2 footed challenge, leading with your arms when jumping into a player is again more dangerous, yet is rarely punished to anything like the same extent. If you ask Iian Hume if he'd rather Chris Morgan just two footed him rather than elbowing him in the head, i'd guess he'd choose the two footed challenge all day. Get a kick to the head or an elbow and you can be in serious trouble, Hume was a hairs breadth from getting brain damage.

Head injuries are far more dangerous than anything that you can do to someones legs, so it seems strange to me that people get outraged at a 2 footed lunge that at worst is going to break someones leg, while players week in week out fly around elbows out, to others heads and nobody bats an eyelid despite the worst case outcome being far worse than the most shocking of 2 footed tackles.

Doncaster are going to get relegated - I thought they would - now I know for certain...

The only reason they lost was because of the ref??!!

He even said "I couldn't ask anymore of my players" - even though they were very poor for most of the game. His players were excellent apparently. Kind of ridiculous thing keef used to say!

Now if that was excellent, he's not setting very high standards!!

I would not expect any Bristol City manager to defend that tackle. I'd expect him to say it was an atrocious tackle and that the player will be getting fined for a reckless tackle and getting sent off.

I was sat in the Atyeo almost in line with the tackle. It was awful. We are lucky that Skuse isn't nursing a broken fibula or two.

Just saw it again horrific challenge but i would defend him when it comes to the dirty press, people asking questions as well, then take him aside like i have said and fine him two weeks wages for letting the team down and if you do that again i will not defend you simple as that, young player on loan who lost his head. Saunders since has made himself look a muppet.

Just saw it again horrific challenge but i would defend him when it comes to the dirty press, people asking questions as well, then take him aside like i have said and fine him two weeks wages for letting the team down and if you do that again i will not defend you simple as that, young player on loan who lost his head. Saunders since has made himself look a muppet.

He's 34 !

I think it was the jump that did for Beye, as soon as you jump in you are asking for trouble, i think he was just caught out a bit by Skuse, Beye thought he was going to get there and be able to make an easy challenge, but Skuse got there quicker than he expected hence the jump, but as soon as you do that you run the risk of getting a red.

Much like Kompanys, by the letter of the law its a straight red, so the ref can't take too much stick, but i would rather it wasn't as football is a contact sport and hard challenges have a place in the game and we are in danger of erradicating some of the best parts of the game.

I can understand the call for Safety, but it seems a bit skewed, Bycycle kicks are allowed, which are infinately more dangerous than any 2 footed challenge, leading with your arms when jumping into a player is again more dangerous, yet is rarely punished to anything like the same extent. If you ask Iian Hume if he'd rather Chris Morgan just two footed him rather than elbowing him in the head, i'd guess he'd choose the two footed challenge all day. Get a kick to the head or an elbow and you can be in serious trouble, Hume was a hairs breadth from getting brain damage.

Head injuries are far more dangerous than anything that you can do to someones legs, so it seems strange to me that people get outraged at a 2 footed lunge that at worst is going to break someones leg, while players week in week out fly around elbows out, to others heads and nobody bats an eyelid despite the worst case outcome being far worse than the most shocking of 2 footed tackles.

I think there is a lot of sense in what you say. Studs up tackles, and latterly two-footed tackles, are being consigned to the history books as everyone realises that they can cause major injuries. Hopefully, the FA will start to look at "tackles" that cause head injuries and take measures to eradicate them. Leading with an arm, or swinging an elbow around should be a straight red-card whether or not there is any contact. Bolasie's "tackle" on the Doncaster player looked like he intended to go for the ball but headbutted the player in the side of his head. This should be a red-card. However, I was on the opposite side of the pitch so it might not have happened that way.

I've watched football for many years and had the great pleasure of seeing many of the notorious "hard-men" of football including Gow, Hunter, Mackay, Bremner, "Chopper" Harris, Tommy Smith &etc. I can recall seeing many bad, at times reckless challenges from these guys but none that ever involved launching into a tackle with both feet.

The fashion for two-footed tackles has only appeared in our game in recent years and it should be quickly eradicated. Referees are right to send off offenders. There should be a zero tolerance approach taken (unless, of course, the offence is committed by one of our players).

The lunge at Skuse by "young" Habib Beye was extremely dangerous and anyone who thinks otherwise has peas for brains.wink.gif

I wish people would stop peddling the idea that these types of challenges are part of the game and it's somehow softening football by punishing them. The reason this debate is a modern one is not that people have suddenly decided it's wrong, it's because people didn't used to do it very often. At the end of the day a player will only have to make that challenge when they've made a mistake; either getting too far away from a player they're marking or because they've been done by a pas or a piece of skill. If you're doing your job probably you don't have to make lunges like that

To reference the Hume/Morgan incident is crass and misleading. That challenge had nothing to do with football and was a common assault. If Morgan had done that in the street he'd have been sent to jail so to imply that there is somehow debate about the seriousness of the offence is to belittle Hume's injury. I'm pretty sure if you asked him which challenge he'd rather face, I'm sure he'd say "neither"

I wish people would stop peddling the idea that these types of challenges are part of the game and it's somehow softening football by punishing them. The reason this debate is a modern one is not that people have suddenly decided it's wrong, it's because people didn't used to do it very often. At the end of the day a player will only have to make that challenge when they've made a mistake; either getting too far away from a player they're marking or because they've been done by a pas or a piece of skill. If you're doing your job probably you don't have to make lunges like that

To reference the Hume/Morgan incident is crass and misleading. That challenge had nothing to do with football and was a common assault. If Morgan had done that in the street he'd have been sent to jail so to imply that there is somehow debate about the seriousness of the offence is to belittle Hume's injury. I'm pretty sure if you asked him which challenge he'd rather face, I'm sure he'd say "neither"

I wish people would stop ruining are game..... Tackling used to be a part of the game. It aint now...

Tackling to be banned soon - might aswell make football non-contact :disapointed2se:

I wish people would stop ruining are game..... Tackling used to be a part of the game. It aint now...

Tackling to be banned soon - might aswell make football non-contact :disapointed2se:

You're right; the modern players penchant for tackling in a way that has a decent chance of breaking your opponents leg has improved football no end....

No one wants to take the physical element out of football, but even going back 10 years, players tackled fairly, even when they went in hard and that line has become blurred

Last time I checked the flying elbow was also deemed reckless and so it should be. It just happens not to be "flavour of the month" which is what bedevils so much debate around football issues.

Career-threatening injuries are likely to arise from cowards' challenges whether its Beye yesterday or Morgan's elbow, I fail to see the logic in defending one on the basis that the other is worse. And I certainly can't accept the idea that two-footed lunges represent "some of the best parts of the game".

I've watched football for many years and had the great pleasure of seeing many of the notorious "hard-men" of football including Gow, Hunter, Mackay, Bremner, "Chopper" Harris, Tommy Smith &etc. I can recall seeing many bad, at times reckless challenges from these guys but none that ever involved launching into a tackle with both feet.

The fashion for two-footed tackles has only appeared in our game in recent years and it should be quickly eradicated. Referees are right to send off offenders. There should be a zero tolerance approach taken (unless, of course, the offence is committed by one of our players).

The lunge at Skuse by "young" Habib Beye was extremely dangerous and anyone who thinks otherwise has peas for brains.wink.gif

If what Ballotolli just done to Parker the players you talk about would of got up and smacked him in the mouth.

He cant have any complaints, the beye challenge was awful!!

And another thing Deano ... having just watched the highlights on World ... if there was nothing wrong with what Beye did, how come the three Donny players nearest the ref (ie with much the same view he had) immediately surround him to try and stop him doing the obvious?

Bolasie shoulder barged Coppinger in the back(very clumsy tackle), but not particularly malicious - and didn't look like his head got anywher near Coppinger's

So rather different than the deliberate elbow to the cheek-bone that Carey got in the first half. Fair play to LC, it stopped him in his tracks for about 5 seconds.

So rather different than the deliberate elbow to the cheek-bone that Carey got in the first half. Fair play to LC, it stopped him in his tracks for about 5 seconds.

Having just watched a few times on the highlights, it looks like Bolasie tries to head the ball and coppinger gets his head to it a split second quicker. Complete accident.

Have just listened to Saunders interview again too, he spouts an absolute load of arse gravy.

I think it's a shame. Doncaster Rovers used to be a team that was always respected for their sportsmanship and attitude even if as a relatively small club they rarely hit the headlines. Why then do we now have Dean Saunders making a fool of himself over an accidental collision of heads involving Bolassie as if he was Alex Ferguson and Diouf gobbing everywhere & making obscene gestures to kids asking for autographs? Shame on both of them!

there is nothing to debate on Beye's tackle it was a red card 10 years ago it would of been a red card it was dangerous, it was 2 footed and both feet left the ground there for red card,

there was a 2 footed tackle in the swansea game i think that didn't get anything as it was from the front both feet stayed on the ground and the ball was won, now some are sending off for those sort of tackles which is wrong as its nether a foul or dangerous,

Beyes was

Nexttime they arrange a Comic Relief football match perhaps Dean Saunders should have ten minutes on as a ref, .... wow that'd be something -comedy gold, imagine what he'd see & what he'd miss, specially if he had a certain 63year old assisting.

Good candidate for a TV ad campaign too.... Dean Saunders - Should've went to Specsavers!

Archived