IGNORED

A Proper City Legend

bcfcbs20

Moved into new house in Australia the other month - first book up on the bookcase.

Atyeo - The Hero Next Door.

Gets more queries than the George W Bush autobiography from visitors.

Usually "Who is he?" to which I am happy to explain.

Too many people are deemed club legends in my opinion these days, Atyeo was from a different time, a different era (much before mine) but legend is clearly not out of place as a description.

I just found this i've never seen it before. I love the commentator very nostalgic.

Great post !!!!! My father-in-law knew John Atyeo in the 1960s and he said that one of the reasons for Atyeo staying here was that he could train here part-time and also be a teacher. The example he gave was Portsmouth wanting to sign him and they wanted him to concentrate solely on football and Atyeo wasn't interested - not Chelsea or Liverpool as mentioned in the video. What really says it all about Atyeo was that he was the epitome of loyalty to this club and he played and scored at the top level - for England !!!

Bristol City will never get another John Ateyo. He is and quite possibly will always be out greatest player. Even players at top clubs on big money get signed by other big clubs on even more money. I just don't think with the way football is today you could build a career with one club being as proflific a player like that unless you do start at a Man U or whatever, even then you would probably move on at some point.

My Dad has watched City for over 60 years, and if you ask him who is the best City player he ever watched, forget your TInnions, Murrays and even Gows, it was big John.

Bristol City will never get another John Ateyo. He is and quite possibly will always be out greatest player. Even players at top clubs on big money get signed by other big clubs on even more money. I just don't think with the way football is today you could build a career with one club being as proflific a player like that unless you do start at a Man U or whatever, even then you would probably move on at some point.

My Dad has watched City for over 60 years, and if you ask him who is the best City player he ever watched, forget your TInnions, Murrays and even Gows, it was big John.

Billy Wedlock was our other great player - possibly a greater player than even John Atyeo. Billy Wedlock played for England when you could normally only play for England if you played football at a top flight club. Of course, Bristol City were a top flight club from 1906-11 and that's when Billy Wedlock played for England. John Atyeo and Billy Wedlock - played for England while playing for BCFC and there are few others that have done this in this club's 115 year history as Bristol City FC.

I was fortunate enough to see Big John play a number of times when I was a boy. I remember standing on the steps of the old Hospital Broadcast box at the Open End at the last game of the season in 1965 when he scored first in the 2-0 win against Oldham to secure City promotion to the Second Division (now, The Championship).

I also went to his testimonial match against Leeds in October 1966. A crowd of 17,423 paid gate receipts of £3,930. Not a lot of money by today's footballer wages, even allowing for inflation. 700 games in all competitions, 395 goals.

My mum took me to either Lewis's or Jones's department stores in Broadmead in about 1964/5 where the great man was signing autographs. I met him, he signed my book and I had my photo taken with him for the Evening Post. I don't have the autograph book any more (my dad gave it away to the son of one of his mates - I'm still traumatized!) and I've never seen the photograph. Great memories though.

I was fortunate enough to see Big John play a number of times when I was a boy. I remember standing on the steps of the old Hospital Broadcast box at the Open End at the last game of the season in 1965 when he scored first in the 2-0 win against Oldham to secure City promotion to the Second Division (now, The Championship).

I also went to his testimonial match against Leeds in October 1966. A crowd of 17,423 paid gate receipts of £3,930. Not a lot of money by today's footballer wages, even allowing for inflation. 700 games in all competitions, 395 goals.

My mum took me to either Lewis's or Jones's department stores in Broadmead in about 1964/5 where the great man was signing autographs. I met him, he signed my book and I had my photo taken with him for the Evening Post. I don't have the autograph book any more (my dad gave it away to the son of one of his mates - I'm still traumatized!) and I've never seen the photograph. Great memories though.

That was my first game.

Billy Wedlock was our other great player - possibly a greater player than even John Atyeo. Billy Wedlock played for England when you could normally only play for England if you played football at a top flight club. Of course, Bristol City were a top flight club from 1906-11 and that's when Billy Wedlock played for England. John Atyeo and Billy Wedlock - played for England while playing for BCFC and there are few others that have done this in this club's 115 year history as Bristol City FC.

Well said Gobbers, another true legend of the club, shame we have nobody in living memory who watched him play. Important to keep these names familiar in the present day for future generations to google them!

Well said Gobbers, another true legend of the club, shame we have nobody in living memory who watched him play. Important to keep these names familiar in the present day for future generations to google them!

Indeed, Billy Wedlock hung up his playing boots in 1921. So any City supporter that genuinely remembers him playing for us would now have to be around 100 years old !!!! Maybe it's one of the reasons that Bristol is considered a footballing 'backwater' as we've only had two England players of note in our 115 year history. The Gas have had none to my knowledge.

Saw Big John many times when I was a kid peering through the railings at the front of what we called the covered end back then. Great player, though, (and probably because I was too young to really understand just how good he was), the goals of super-Bob stick in my mind more than Big John's.

But no denying Ateyo was our greatest player and true City legend.

Indeed, Billy Wedlock hung up his playing boots in 1921. So any City supporter that genuinely remembers him playing for us would now have to be around 100 years old !!!! Maybe it's one of the reasons that Bristol is considered a footballing 'backwater' as we've only had two England players of note in our 115 year history. The Gas have had none to my knowledge.

Geoff Bradford was a peer of Big John's and got one England cap.

Geoff Bradford was a peer of Big John's and got one England cap.

Way before my time but Geoff Bradford of the Gas was a great Div 2 player from what I remember reading. I just get the idea that Billy Wedlock put Bristol on the football map with his time playing for England, when Billy Wedlock retired Bristol fell off that map. We've had other players that have played for England while at BCFC but Billy Wedlock and John Atyeo remain the greatest.

I imagine very few clubs could say they've ever had a player that stayed in one place for his entire career whilst at the same time having the potential for much greater things.

The only modern day player remotely comparable would be, for me, Matt Le Tissier at Southampton.

Ok, the likes of Giggs and Neville haven't moved but that's much easier when you're already at the most sucessful club in the land.

The number and quality of the goals Big John scored always get mentioned for obvious reasons. What’s often forgotten is the number of goals he created for other players. His headed flicks and lay-offs to other forwards probably created as many goals as he scored himself. He was the complete forward. His value in today’s market?????

The number and quality of the goals Big John scored always get mentioned for obvious reasons. What’s often forgotten is the number of goals he created for other players. His headed flicks and lay-offs to other forwards probably created as many goals as he scored himself. He was the complete forward. His value in today’s market?????

Well it's fair to say he'd be more value for money if he cost 50M like Torres did.

Unfortunately, I wasn't around when big John was at city. But looking at the clip, you could tell what a player he was! And for him to stay with us throughout his career is something you don't see nowadays. True legend, just gutted I never got to see him play at the gate.

Unfortunately, I wasn't around when big John was at city. But looking at the clip, you could tell what a player he was! And for him to stay with us throughout his career is something you don't see nowadays. True legend, just gutted I never got to see him play at the gate.

The England national side look pretty good in the clips as well. They were taken not long before we became World Champions in 1966. Our current national side don't look anywhere near good enough to be World Champions.

The England national side look pretty good in the clips as well. They were taken not long before we became World Champions in 1966. Our current national side don't look anywhere near good enough to be World Champions.

I think some people forget how good he was, I would of loved to see him play now with the better pitches, lighter footballs and better boots. He would destroy this league.

I think some people forget how good he was, I would of loved to see him play now with the better pitches, lighter footballs and better boots. He would destroy this league.

John Atyeo was playing alongside Stanley Matthews and Billy Wright in that May 1956 game against Brazil - that England won 4-2 - with Nat Lofthouse on the bench !!! It's just amazing that England didn't win the 1958 World Cup with that side.

One of the first games that I saw as well.

The following season, I remember what I believe was his last game (against Ipswich) when he needed two goals to make it to 350.

He scored one earlier in the game and then about ten minutes from time, a corner from Danny Bartley went in at the far post to make it 4-2 to City.

Whether Big John got a touch was debatable. In all honesty I think it was Bartley's goal, but due to the circumstances everyone was happy to believe that it just slid in off of Big John's Brylcreem to give him his 350th goal.

I just wish I had seen more of him.

One word: God

." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze" .... He's here! I *know* he's here! That's him, I'm telling you that's him! You hear me? I'm telling you it's *Keyser Soze*!

And like that... he's gone

( rumour has it though he's been seen in Oz with a legend on his bookcase.... :) )

John Atyeo was playing alongside Stanley Matthews and Billy Wright in that May 1956 game against Brazil - that England won 4-2 - with Nat Lofthouse on the bench !!! It's just amazing that England didn't win the 1958 World Cup with that side.

Nat lofthouse on the bench! Wasn't he a preston legend?

Atyeo, Matthews, Wright and Lofthouse.

I dont think all of the current England players put together have the stature of any one of those men.I also doubt you would have seen any of them play acting, diving or waving imaginary cards to get an oponent sent off.

Archived